Clothing help

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by yearroundteach, Nov 23, 2013.

1. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Nov 23, 2013

I have seen you all do some amazing shopping for others when requested on here and I'm hoping you can help me out as well. I am terrible at shopping when I need something and the circumstances I'm about to describe make it even more overwhelming for me.

I will be attending a baptism in about a month and I am the godmother. I will also be about 18 weeks pregnant at that time. Currently no one but my husband and I know about our little bundle of joy so I can't ask friends or family for advice. By the time of the baptism we will have told all of our close family and friends so I'm not looking for anything to try to hide any bump I may have.

The problems I am having in my shopping attempts are:

1) I don't know what is appropriate color, style, etc. for a godmother to wear.

2) I have absolutely no idea how big or small I should expect to be at 18 weeks so I don't know if I should buy a maternity dress or a regular dress. I don't want to look ridiculous swimming in a maternity dress but I also don't want to look like a stuff sausage in a regular dress.

3) It is winter and will be below freezing so that presents extra challenges.

So if any of you amazing shoppers out that can help I would be extremely grateful. You might just save me from having to show up in sweatpants ;) :thanks:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

4. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Nov 23, 2013

Thanks so much for your reply! I like the idea of a wrap dress as it has room to grow without being maternity. One question I had is color...is black acceptable for a baptism? I realize you may have just posted the link to show the style but the fact that it was black made me remember that was a question I wanted to ask.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

Congratulations!!!!

Sure, black can be appropriate. Just "happy" it up with accessories. The model in the Gap ad certainly looked as though she was ready to party, not on her way to a funeral.

How about a print cardigan over the solid black dress, in the event that the church or party is chilly?

6. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Nov 24, 2013

Thank you Alice! And thank you for your reply about black and suggestion of the cardigan. I think that sounds like a fantastic idea! I really like the dress in the Gap link so I'm excited that it would be appropriate.

7. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Nov 24, 2013

Ok here is where I am in my shopping adventures thanks to czacza and Alice! I am thinking this dress:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.d...6MZRSHY_dt&adid=Cebqhpg+Nqf&pcrid=29942195618

With these shoes...Though I don't know if they're too shiny or to tall for a church baptism. Please let me know if they are!

http://www.zappos.com/madden-girl-getta-black-patent

I am still on the search for a cute, colorful cardigan to brighten it up but have yet to find one. I did come across some cute scarves that I thought might do the trick if I don't find a cardigan.

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Womens-Sh...1_65?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1385318671&sr=1-65 (green and white stripes)

http://www.amazon.com/Vivian-Vincent-Weight-Chevron-Infinity/dp/B00G3DBKIY/ref=pd_sim_a_sw_2 (mint/white or red/white)

So now my questions are: Do you think I'm on the right track? And should I wear black tights with this or stick to nude?

Thanks so much to anyone who feels inclined to help. I really am terrible at dressing myself for occasions. I do ok day to day but for specific events :help:

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 24, 2013

I am no help when it comes to clothes, but I just bought those shoes yesterday for my daughter for a job interview!

And I prefer the first scarf.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2013

Love everything you've picked out! The shoes are great! The scarf idea is awesome....have fun...and congrats on your pregnancy!:love:

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 24, 2013

I love the mint/white scarf! I also love the shoes!