Clotheslines: Harmless drying method or Harbinger of social decay?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Backroads, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 25, 2017

I purchased a new clothesline system the other day and today learned many people have very strong opinions on them, from clotheslines being energy-saving gods to clotheslines being the definition of trashy and antagonizing the neighborhood.

Where do you stand?

3. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Apr 25, 2017

I live near an Amish community, so clotheslines don't bother me. I've also lived overseas in a first world country where clotheslines were the norm due to space and energy considerations. I like my dryer though!

Who cares what people think about your choices? Unless you are under HOA restrictions, your home, your business.

MLB711 and Backroads like this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 25, 2017

My state is sort of right to dry... meaning any housing organization can officially defend clotheslines if they wish.

I'm rather amazed to find out clothesline crimes vs right to dry.

First world problems and all that...

otterpop and GemStone like this.
  5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2017

Wow. I really can't believe you actually have to deal with this! I lived in France (not a "third world" country...) and it was the norm to line dry clothes as much as possible. My colleague is European but has lived here for decades, but still prefers to line-dry her clothes. I can't even imagine how someone has the time/energy to argue over what you do with your clean laundry...

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2017

Air dried sheets are heavenly.

christie likes this.
  7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 25, 2017

My parents had them back when I was a child in the 80s. They had them located in the privacy of our backyard where no one could see them. I think as long as the public can't see them, which would be tacky, then why not if that's what the person wants.

In 1989, when we moved, we finally had the room for a dryer, so we didn't need clotheslines anymore after that.

8. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Apr 25, 2017

There aren't clothes on my line today, but there certainly were on Saturday! I have a difficult time understanding how saving energy is now considered tacky.

czacza likes this.
  9. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2017

No clothes lines allowed where I am. Yet so many drive a Prius. For most it is a social status thing with the car being the trendy thing to do more than a true believer in conservation since their other actions say otherwise.

ms.irene likes this.
  10. christie

christie Rookie

Apr 25, 2017

I agree with czacza, I miss air dried sheets. I live in a city and don't have the space for a clothesline. My parents' HOA forbids them - though they have managed to sneak one now and then.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 25, 2017

At our home in town, I use my dryer. Out in the country, I hang out our sheets. I'll even dry the towels in the dryer and then hang them out for a while.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 26, 2017

I like to use the clothesline as much as I can but maybe for only 3 months out of the year because of weather conditions. I would be quite upset if someone told me I couldn't do what I wanted in the backyard that I own. I would never live somewhere with a HOA. I am generally a rule follower but I think they go too far. Plus, you have to pay for the privilege of having to follow their ridiculous rules.

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 26, 2017

I'm not a fan of towels out on the line because I do like them out of the dryer. That's a good idea about only drying them part way though.

14. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 26, 2017

If it weren't for pollen and allergies, I would consider it.

Teachis4m3 likes this.
  15. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Apr 26, 2017

It depends.
    Apartments and condos: No
    Homes with Yards: Yes
    I feel if you own your own property no one can force you to use electrical energy unless not using it poses a threat to public health (hard to think of a situation where that could come up).

16. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2017

Do they get stiff, like towels sometimes do?

17. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Apr 26, 2017

Use fabric softener in the wash.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 26, 2017

Not stiff. And they smell so fresh!

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 26, 2017

I dry them completely. They are hard otherwise. The towels are just kind of aired out.

20. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 28, 2017

HOA's have never been something that I support, but know that many do. I love my dryer, but also have many clothes that should be hung to dry, that I have a relatively small line off my deck. Since no one sees it, I don't know if it offends anyone. Science teacher me says that we can all do some little part to save the planet, so the line is fine if you have the time and desire to use it. Busy me says that I love being able to run loads of laundry after the sun goes down, so my dryer will never get cobwebs. Does it have to be a statement action? I would like to think we have the freedom to choose things that do no harm and may be beneficial. My mother had clotheslines, and I can agree with comments about the smell. I still remember that, but I did hate running out to get almost dry clothes off the line because of rain. I am voting NO on social decay, and smiling from memories of my youth. Thanks for the thread.:hugs:

Backroads likes this.
  21. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Apr 28, 2017

I like my HOA (so far...). HOAs are really common in my city. In my home state, I'd never even heard of HOAs. When you drive through neighborhoods here, you can very distinctly tell which ones have an HOA and which don't, because the homes in HOA neighborhoods are well taken care of. In neighborhoods without HOAs, there is always at least one or two houses with junky cars, knee high weeds, or garbage piles in their front yards.

Clothes lines don't bother me one bit, as long as they're in a back yard. I do think our HOA forbids them, but I don't think it's something they enforce. They're pretty hands off. I like line dried clothes, and it's better for the environment too.

Backroads likes this.
  22. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 29, 2017

I love drying my clothes outside in the summer (it's far too cold the other 3 seasons). Technically I am not allowed to hang clothes on my balcony, but with the style of railing we have, no one can see into my balcony. So I move my clothes drying rack outside in the summer and it hasn't been a problem. I don't think it's a sign of social decay - I think it's great for the environment and your clothes.

Backroads likes this.
  23. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 30, 2017

For the longest time I refused to line dry towels. Then someone mentioned how much they loved "stiff" towels, and I gave it a shot. Not for everyone, but not necessarily bad.

otterpop likes this.