Clothes

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by FarFromHome, Jul 17, 2007.

1. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2007

I have a couple pairs of dressy bermuda shorts. (I think that's what they're called!) They go down to my knees or a little past, and have cuffs at the bottom. Do you think these would be appropriate for school? I can't decide-I know capris are fine, but I don't know if these would be considered too casual. Any opinions???

3. patsfan82

patsfan82 Rookie

Jul 17, 2007

We can wear them! But, I guess it depends on your school district or principal. My previous school didn't allow capris or bermuda shorts.

4. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 17, 2007

Yeah, you might want to ask someone from your school. We are allowed to wear capris and bermuda shorts, but other schools in our district are not.

5. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

We can wear them at my school and it is the perfect thing for days where it is over 90 degrees. I think if you have a casual dress code then they will be fine.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2007

I student taught in the same district and everyone wore capris, but I'm not sure if they wore bermudas. I should at least be able to wear them on Fridays because it's casual day. I guess I should just ask someone from the school! (I haven't met anyone yet, so it might be a little while.) I was out buying clothes though, and I wasn't sure what to buy. I've been buying a couple of skirts, so I hope I'm ok with 3rd graders wearing skirts. I definitely wouldn't be able to do that in Kindergarten or 1st grade.

7. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I don't understand why, but our new teacher dress code says capris are OK, but shorts (even long ones) are a no-no. The capris have to come down to your calves.

Here's the thing - some teachers wear skirts that are literally halfway up to their hineys (with the danger of really personal scenery if they bend over) and that's acceptable, but it's not appropriate to wear knee length shorts.

Go figure. :(

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

We have some crazy rules too ~ for example you're allowed to wear capris, BUT if you wear a skirt you need to have panyhose on... even if the skirt is floor length!!! How ridiculous is that!

I am 7 weeks pregnant so haven't been doing TOO much back to school shopping just yet ~ I plan on wearing last year's stuff and then maybe buying some new outfits in maternity in a couple months or so. :)

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

Hey, Starista, congrats!!!!

I would wait it out on the shorts. If you're new to the school, wait and see what others are wearing. If not, check with whomever is in charge of faculty dress code.

They would be absolutely unacceptable in my school (as in go home right now and change), as would capris. But each school has its own culture.

10. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

We are not allowed to wear bermudas but we are allowed to wear capris. You will have to check with your school but I wouldn't wear them until you know its ok.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Some Bermudas look very classic and tailored and I bet those would work.

12. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I've worn mine and didn't have any comments or issues as with a few other teachers in the building.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 18, 2007

I guess I'll find someone to ask before I buy any more! The ones I have are very professional looking, and I would wear them with a button-down shirt. But I wasn't planning on wearing them until I asked someone anyway.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2007

QUOTE: Some Bermudas look very classic and tailored and I bet those would work.

I agree, and I also believe that Bermudas usually look much nicer than capris. If a skirt at the knee allowed, then to say that nice, long shorts are prohibited doesn't make since to me at all. I've never really understood that - in my opinion skirts are simply more "provocative" than shorts!

15. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Jul 18, 2007

At my old school we couldn't, but we can at my new school. That should be in your teacher manual...dresscode I mean.

16. SnowDaisy822

SnowDaisy822 Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I wear them all the time, but we don't have much of a dress code at my school.

17. smile

smile Companion

Jul 21, 2007

I've seen other teachers wear them at my school. One of my co-workers asked the same question. I would go with the saying "when in doubt, leave it out."