Clothes for Interview and other interview???

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Caveman, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 16, 2005

OK, having spent the last few paydays putting together a respectable wardrobe, I think I'm about ready to enter polite society.
    Someone tell me again, should I wear a tie to a job interview or go open collar with a sport coat. I'm anxious to show off my pretty clothes but really don't want to be horribly overdressed. I must say though, for a Port Tampa Redneck, I clean up pretty well. :D
    So I'm down to either Brown/Kahki earth tone kinda stuff or a blue/navy blue sport coat. What's the look I'm going for? I want to look professional but approachable but am rather concerned about being too casual for the interview. Help! I need to learn to dress like a teacher and I can barely dress like a civilized human being :D If necessary I can support a full suit and tie deployment but am disinclined to do so because Florida in May/June is just too hot for a suit. Give me the skinny guys (and gals)! I suppose the one worry I have side stepped is hair (I'm bald!)
    How do I best project the put me in Coach, I'm ready to play attitude. I'm so jazzed about getting in this business but I don't want to come off as cocky or pushy. Advice?

3. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Apr 16, 2005

Ok,
    go for a suit for the interview.
    I"ve worn a fully lined business suit in july in souther ar...
    (100 degrees 100% humidity!!) Even slacks with a sports jacket with a tie would go well I think. But to me interview says "business like attire"
    Once you start working, I'd dress "safe" for the first few days until you get a feel of how the school dresses. My first school dressed up, this one, is a jeans type of school (though I'm still not comfortable wearing jeans everyday sine I'm so young!!!)

4. SarahLorax

SarahLorax Rookie

Apr 16, 2005

suit! it may be a pain, but at least wherever you're interviewing is probably air conditioned, and you can carry the suit coat into the building so you're not quite as hot. i've been to two job fairs and several interviews this week. at the first job fair, a huge teacher recruitment one, just about everyone was in a black or navy suit and carrying their leather portfolio or briefcase--you could pick 'em off just driving down the street towards the convention center it was held in. the people who underdressed stuck out like a sore thumb. i would, however, suggest a grey or tan suit, if it's still a nice one--that would stand out from all the black and navy, but still look professional.

today, at a small charter school recruitment fair i was at, there was actually a woman in jeans and sweatshirt! quite a few people in semi-casual clothes; i think the people in suits were taken more professionally. have a cool tie (maybe something related, however dorkily, to your subject area) if you want to express your personality and add an element of non-stuffiness. i carried my harry potter bag, since i'm english ed. :)

5. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 16, 2005

Yeah, I'm planning to teach HS English. OK wear a suit and a creative, unconventional tie....wow, an English related tie...that may take some doing...I guess three stooges or loony tunes are out..LOL. I've got a nice brown suit I think will work. Thanks for the help.

6. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Apr 16, 2005

Tally ho on a Shakespeare tie!

7. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Apr 16, 2005

perfect!!!

8. montessori teac

montessori teac New Member

May 7, 2005

wondering

did you get the job?

9. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

May 7, 2005

Haven't had an interview yet, I'm just in the planning stages but I'll keep you posted

10. chava_1908

chava_1908 Rookie

Sep 15, 2005

caveman, i say go straight business suite!

11. Caveman

Caveman Rookie

Sep 16, 2005

Wow! This is an old one. I not only did several interviews but even managed to get a job. I'm working in an alternative school for at risk kids. At the moment I'm teaching middle school language arts but my school will be standing up a high school program in January and that's the job I was hired for. In the interim though I'm getting some good time in the trenches (all girl classes too). Yeah, some days it's as painful as it sounds but I'm loving it. Anyway, back to clothes. When I interviewed for this position in June, I wore dockers, a nice shirt, an artsy tie and a sport coat. No problem (lots of sweat though :D )

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2005

Glad to hear you are in the trenches and surviving (so far). Keep us posted.