clothes for female secondary teachers?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by abat_jour, Jul 13, 2014.

1. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 13, 2014

Not sure where to put this but Job Seekers get a lot of hits. I need a wardrobe for next year. Where do I go?

I hate shopping in brick and mortar stores as their prices are high and I hate the experience. I want to dress rather professional, in my personal life I am not a formal dresser at all. But for work, I don't like to show any skin and so don't really like skirts unless they are long are at least midi length. What stores and brands? I am not skinny so certain cuts of pants are out, but not tremendously overweight.

Talbots had red hanger sale now but its mostly picked over. Also they are overprice if not on sale. I think banana republic is overpriced. :unsure:

Any brands or stores?
    Thanks

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

Old Navy

4. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jul 13, 2014

Old Navy, NY&Company, The Loft are pretty much reasonable prices. I also like Sears and JCPenney.

5. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jul 13, 2014

Kohls

6. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 13, 2014

I am allergic to stuff at Kohls as crazy as that sounds. When I try on their stuff I get rashes.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

I don't really care for specific brands or stores, what matters to me is what I buy and the price.
    I would suggest dress pants, knee length skirts, and ankle length skirts. Blouses, other types of tops, and a few cardigans to match everything. You can buy a black, white and a beige or brown cardigan and they will match most of your outfits, it can really bring an outfit together.
    Like you, I like to be covered, but it's so hot here in the early fall, and spring, that I actually wear a lot of skirts + tank tops, but I always cover with a cardigan and it looks professional.

8. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 13, 2014

I am taking advantage of talbots red hanger sale; I got a really impeccable interview suit for 150.
    I do have sensitive skin so I like silk, wool, cotton and can't really wear rayon. I usually can find really high end brands on amazon (tt collection, tucker etc) for a fraction of the cost so 100% silk tops end up being 30$ or about similarly priced to macys or gap etc.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

JC Penny's, Kohls, and Macy's. I don't think it's the store so much as it is selecting things that are professional.

10. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 13, 2014

I get most of my work clothes from The Loft, Macy's, Gap, and Banana Republic.

My typical work outfit is black or grey trouser-cut pants, a blouse (basically something that's not a tee shirt) and a cardigan if it's cold. Oh, and flats. I try to find figure flattering shirts (especially shirts that gather or drape around the bust and are looser on the tummy) and buy curvy cut pants.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 13, 2014

I buy a lot at Dillard's.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

Loft
    Macy's
    TJ Maxx (trousers, tops, cardis)
    Dress Barn

Buy basics: knit tops, blazers, cardis, trousers, skirts in neutrals...add in some pops of color with scarves and jewelry. Get some awesome, comfy shoes. (my shoes don't fit the comfy standard for most but I rock really high heels with no problem)

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 13, 2014

I only shop brick & mortar stores. For pants I usually go to Kohl's, but they are hit & miss. For dresses I like Dress Barn or JCP. I did find a cute skirt at Target that I really like and doesn't look cheap.

14. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Jul 13, 2014

I just went to Sears yesterday (I usually don't like that store, either!) and bought 3 pairs of pants and 4 tops for $75! They had a ton of nice stuff on clearance.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2014

Non brick and mortar clothing stores tend to be niche markets and pricey.

16. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 13, 2014

I like New York & Company and Dillard's.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 13, 2014

I love pants at Dress Barn. Their tops are often a little... matronly... for my tastes, but I sometimes find things there. For tops, I usually end up at LOFT, Old Navy, or JC Penney.

18. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jul 13, 2014

Also, I should mention that I have a quite large outlet mall in my town...so that's how I build my teacher wardrobe. If you're able to find one (summer is a great time for a road trip), you can get really amazing deals at outlets!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 13, 2014

I don't focus on stores, but items.

I like dresses that work with sandals in warm months and boots & cardigans in cold months. I stay with neutral bottoms and put color in my tops so I can mix and match. Nothing I own is single-purpose.

I bought a dress yesterday that will be perfect for going out when paired with heels and bold jewelry. I wore it to church today with flat sandals and a shrug. I can wear it to work this winter with boots, tights, and a cardigan.

I am always on the lookout for clothes, and it have them from everywhere. If a store has clothes, I'll shop there. I always wash clothes before wearing, though. The worst for me is old Navy. I always have an allergic reaction in their store!

20. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

I'm a male and the laziest shopper there is, but I get most of my stuff on Amazon, just check there sales and buy when they have good deals. Other then that I do like JC Pennys (cheap), and when I'm in Phoenix I tend to stop by the Puma store and buy a polo and short combo.

As for what to wear. Every school is different, so be careful there. Where I student taught I over-dressed, wearing the same clothes where I taught I was under-dressed.

Most female teachers I've taught with where slacks and a professional looking top. Very few teachers where skirts or dresses.

21. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jul 14, 2014

NY & Co. Has great stuff and a 20%discount for teachers! Love their dress pants
    JC Penney
    Target
    Dress Barn
    Kohls

22. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jul 14, 2014

Land's End is sold at Sears - they have some fantastic sale prices from time to time. Look for super clearance days.

23. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 14, 2014

Loft, New York & Co, and Gap are my go to places. All have outlets and excellent sales!

24. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2014

Lands end has been mentioned. I order online and make returns at sears. No shipping costs for orders over $50.
    I love talbots! Once you've gone in the store and tried on some things to determine your size, you can get great deals online. Most items (at both places) are very classic so they can be mixed and matched for years. The trick is to sign up for email notifications and jump on the big sales when they come.

25. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jul 15, 2014

LOFT!!! The offer a teacher discount if the items are full priced but I have NEVER paid full price for anything because they usually have great sales going on!

26. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Jul 15, 2014

Macy's, Charlotte Russe, Mandee's…not expensive at all. If you want something even more sophisticated, Banana Republic, Gap...