Cloth for bulletin boards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, Apr 20, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 20, 2009

For those of you who use cloth to cover your bulletin boards, what type do you find works best? Jo-Ann has broadcloth for $1.50 a yard this week, but I know nothing about fabric or what might work best.

Also, I am looking to cover an old chalkboard to use for my word wall... I used paper this past year and removing words tore the paper up. Do you have suggestions for sticking on words if the board is covered with fabric?

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2009

I have my boards covered in a heavyweight fleece. I chose it because I wanted bright, solid colors and it was one of the few choices at JoAnn's that had the width that I needed. With the narrower bolts, I would have had to use two pieces to cover the boards.

I love that it is bright and it hasn't faded in 3 years. It looks great! The down side is that it is so thick, I have to use thumb-tacks to hang everything up instead of staples. The staples don't go through the fleece into the board behind.

If you have a fleece, felt, or probably flannel material, than velcro on the back of your word wall words should hold them up nicely.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 21, 2009

I prefer the stretchy fabric (cotton jersey) because it doesn't show wrinkles and the staple/pin marks disappear very well. It also doesn't have to be the exact size because I can stretch a few extra inches.

If you have felt material (expensive), then velcro'd word cards would work. Oh, the above poster said that. Another alternative is to put paper clips in rows or columns and hang paper clips from them. Then you can paper clip the word cards on.

5. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Apr 21, 2009

This is really silly for me to ask, but what width do fabrics usually come in? I'm wondering if my bulletin boards are going to need to be done in two pieces of fabric each (I have four that are about 4 feet by 4 feet, and a bulletin board that's the same height, but longer, obviously).

6. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Apr 23, 2009

Walmart has great deals on fun fabric for $1. We have one teacher that has the whole room done in it! It is so gorgeous.

7. tgim

tgim Habitué

Apr 23, 2009

If your fabric isn't too thick and the chalkboard beneath it is magnetic, use magnetic tape.

I once strung 5 ropes across my word wall and then used clothespins to clip words to the line. It works if you switch words w/ each story or unit.

Can you use spray adhesives w/ fabric and word wall cards? I haven't much experience w/ spray adhesive. Would sticky tac work?:unsure:

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Apr 24, 2009

If I remember correctly...44/45? and 60.

9. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Apr 24, 2009

I use regular cotton. Wrinkles have not been a problem for me (not for more than a few days anyway). Obviously you shouldn't roll it in a ball, but I love the look and feel.

The trick (if you ask me) is pulling it tight when you're stapling it. It will always loosen, so don't allow any give.

I used a low gauge staple gun this year and it worked great (I will never use another stapler to hang my fabric OR paper). I always staple a few places and pull/smooth my way to the other side.

Also, I'd recommend staying away from busy fabrics. Once you get things posted, it's generally too much. I look for good colors with a little texture, not big designs (and I stay away from stripes so I don't have to make them go straight).

If you get a Joann's coupon, they will take 50% off of your whole order as long as it's one cut of fabric. If you sign up for the teacher program, you save 15 or 20% too (not stackable).

I've have really good luck at Walmart too.

Good luck!