Closed door meeting with the P today.... A definite wake-up call....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, May 14, 2019.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 14, 2019

As I was walking away from the office, P called me in and had me sit between the AP and counselor. P closed the door.... I figure he was gonna chew me out so here’s what happened.

He said I was one of 1st teachers that he met early in the year and liked what I was doing early on. He said we somewhat solved the problem with the senior boys being non-working and trouble. Then after returning from Winter Break, he saw a decline in my effort. He also mentioned that the test scores for my classes were very weak. P also noticed that I was allowing the negativity of some of my students’ attitudes affect how I was teaching. It looked like I was giving off the “they aren’t caring that much so I’m not gonna care that much either” attitude. Here’s what really got me.... P said that, if circumstances were different, he would have cut me and not think twice about it. P then asked if I had questions and I asked him what saved me from being cut and he said I am an asset to the school and he’s willing to have the AP and counselor help me. He said he hopes that, when we talk next year, it will be all smiles instead of frowns. So we ended the meeting with me walking out thinking I’m safe for now but on very thin ice. In the back of my mind, I’m also thinking, if it had been my 3rd year, I’d be a goner but I have one more year to get this turned around.

Thoughts?

3. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

May 14, 2019

I think it sounds like your P wants to keep you around enough to let you know what he’s noticing that isn’t going well. Do you feel like his comments are accurate?

I’ve had conversations with my P sort of similar (though not with my job on the line) about how she’s concerned about my stress level, confidence, whatever. Sometimes her comments feel spot on and sometimes we have to have a follow up of me asking where/how she sees that because I don’t see it at all. Either way her comments have made me adjust my attitude at school for the better. If your P is seeing negativity and lack of effort that was nonexistent before, it may be helpful to step back and analyze what’s causing it and if it’s fixable while staying at the school.

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

May 14, 2019

I would take an honest look and assess whether there is any truth to what he is saying, but I also think that you need to look out for yourself. See what else is out there. You definitely have time to make changes as warranted, but you’ve also been warned.

otterpop likes this.
  5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 14, 2019

What he said was truthful. I got pretty comfortable and lax after the new year. Also, that’s when baseball season officially started and I got behind on grading. And then, my juniors started to slack off and I just had negative attitudes toward them and it became part of my teaching. What really has affected me deeply was how he just point blank told me he wouldn’t think twice of cutting me..... it sounded like he wanted to fire me but just can’t right now...

And as far as looking is concerned, the P knows I’m looking due to the long distance that I travel now. I’m just wondering if I can still get LORs from any of the ones sitting in the office watching while I was getting lectured.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  6. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 14, 2019

His words were accurate. He saw my interactions lacking and slacking as the year went on. I’m glad he told me this so I have a chance to fix it. The negativity mainly came from the senior boys and junior class who just don’t care. I did wrong by letting that feed into my teaching. With the seniors graduating, that’s one less class and I can reset my teaching practices. The juniors will become my seniors and I will have to crack down from day one otherwise it’ll be the same thing again.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 14, 2019

Damn! My colleague just got a "fix your face" conversation, as well. P hasn't brought me in for that, but she does keep reminding me of transfer opportunities. :toofunny:Must be that time of year. I would take that super personally and sit on it forever...but I suggest trying to take the feedback and move on. It's all we can really do.

otterpop likes this.
  8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 14, 2019

I kept a stone cold face in the meeting but have been pretty upset and sad ever since. To the point where I might ask for LORs tomorrow or a little later but before school is out.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 14, 2019

We really see this differently. I would read it as he really wants to keep you, but you are making it kind of hard, currently. You went into this job with preparation and plans to be a better teacher than at your last job. Apparently that worked, until you threw out your new game plan and fell into older patterns of behavior. The question is simple: can you be that teacher with a plan for the entire school year, or are you going to cut your losses and bail?

readingrules12 likes this.
  10. JimG

JimG Comrade

May 14, 2019

Here is my challenge to you. What logistical changes will you implement and stick with next year in order to make sure you have better results? Identify the areas in which you need to do better. Then, create SMART goals for them, and monitor progress toward the goals. As the acronym indicates, these SMART goals should be:

Specific
    Measurable
    Attainable
    Relevant
    Time-specific

You may even include your principal in the creation of these goals, or at least in what you are doing to achieve them. This would give you somebody to hold you accountable and would also show that you are making efforts to improve. Including the principal so that he can see your progress will also go a long way in securing a good letter of recommendation from him in the future if he sees that you are improving.

Furthermore, you have received many suggestions throughout this forum to achieve better student engagement. Go back and read through previous threads, and see if you can implement any of the suggestions for next year, even if it means going out of your comfort zone.

Best of luck!

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 14, 2019

I had another epiphany at the gym tonight. The P basically told me that I have not been the best teacher that I can be. Sure, I had good moments in the beginning but he said I lost my way. This gives me incentive to improve my craft. Last year, I worked under a different P who retired so he didn’t care. So I may have developed bad habits and brought them into this year under a new P. So going forward, I will try to become the teacher that my current P wants me to become.

12. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

May 14, 2019

I don't really know your whole back story but if what you just described happened to me I don't think I could work at that school anymore anyway. I like that your being honest that you haven't been putting forth a good effort, but do you not think it's ridiculous that it came to that?

I teach 8th graders (and I've taught high school for four years too), so I understand how bad the kids attitudes can be. However that conversation sounds like one I would have had with my students not what an adult should have to say to another adult. I think you need to be honest with yourself and your school about what your position on teaching is. If you don't care, its not fair to keep putting the kids through that. No teacher ever walked into a classroom full off pain in the butt kids and made things better by being rude back or not caring. From what you described you might need to pick another career or at the very least see if another school would make a difference.

13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 14, 2019

I'd feel the same. It would be hard for me to want to continue working there after a conversation like that one. An attitude that truly uses criticism as a chance to improve is admirable, however.

14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 15, 2019

I recall you receiving some pretty crappy advice from an assistant principal earlier in the year. And this very AP was in your meeting.........

15. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 15, 2019

I did take it personally for a bit but then realized that I haven’t been the best teacher this year. I allowed too many things to slide. And gave up on the ones who just quit trying. Problem with that attitude is that it gets magnified when the entire class quits. I will have them again as seniors next year and I will have to try my best with them.

16. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

May 15, 2019

UPDATE: I spoke privately with the AP and asked him if I were in the “danger zone.” He said the P wants to see me be the teacher during the 1st 9 weeks and not the teacher the rest of the way. He said not to blame it on taking on coaching for the first time. Said he’d been coaching 22 years and that I need to find a way to make teaching and coaching work. AP said I’m a good teacher and the kids like me so those are positive. He says I have a year to turn things around and he believes I can.