clorox/lysol wipies in the class

Discussion in 'General Education' started by terptoteacher, Mar 15, 2009.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

Sorry if this has been posted before, but we just had an inservice with our nurse. She told us that we werent' supposed to be using the wipies in our room as it could be an asthma trigger for some kids.

Have you heard that?

I know in my old school we weren't allowed to use them but not because it was a health issue, but because we didn't have a contract with the wipie company and they were afraid the company we did have a contract with (custodian's spray bottle of cleaner) would find out and sue.

I stopped using them and the next week everyone in the class got sick.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2009

No rules on wipes in my district. Some teachers actually ask kids to each bring a container in as part of school supply list.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 15, 2009

Yes, I've heard it before at various schools. But, at the schools I've been to, I use them & no one's said a thing. If you use them after school's out so it has hrs to dry thoroughly, it may be alright for the schools that usually discourage it. Ask your school what alternative(s) they use.

5. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

We did too...now I have a cupboard full of them and I'm not supposed to use them.....well when kids are present

6. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 15, 2009

No rules here... we actually do include them on the supply list. We have found in the last two years of using them that our "illnesses" in 5th grade have gone down dramatically.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 15, 2009

The only cleaners that we can use at school are those supplied by our caretakers which have met the Health and Safety requirements.

8. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 15, 2009

no rules here. I have them wipe down their desks a couple times a year. When we have students sick, I spray lysol on their desks and chairs before I leave on Friday.

9. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 15, 2009

I really think we should offer Microbiology as an AP course in highschool.

Talk about relevance....."Today we're going to study the frequency of staph bacteria in our classrooms. Here's your sampling kits, go forth and swab."

10. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Mar 15, 2009

We wipe down our desks about once a week with wipes. Its part of our "Friday Frenzy" before dismissal.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 15, 2009

I use them only after school because of the possibility of it bothering some students. I think as long as it is dry by the time kids come in contact with it, it will be fine.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 15, 2009

I do that, too. The cleaning crew uses a bucket of soap and water and I don't think it gets emptied out until the end of the night. It gets the marker off the table, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't kill any germs...

13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2009

I used the wipes all the time, but mostly after school. However I did use them during class sometimes, like after a party. I never even thought about them causing an asthma attack in some kids. I will think about it next time.

14. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

Tasha:lol: Who is Long Ass that you mentioned in your post?:lol:
    JUST MESSING WITH YOU!:D:lol:
    :lol:LAUGH! IT IS GOOD FOR YOU!:lol:
    Rebel1

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

My former district had rules against using any type of cleaner or air freshener. We weren't even suppose to let the kids use hand sanitizer. It was banned! Nuts. I was teaching pre-k so I definitely wasn't going to follow this rule! I typically waited until the children were out of the room to clean with any "harsh" cleaners. The only time I had to do a mass cleaning with the children in the room was when one child had severely pooped himself, didn't tell anyone (we discovered it when the smell finally hit us), and had potentially touched quite a few surfaces in the classroom. Oh, I most definitely sanitized the hands of each child, the surfaces, and sprayed air freshener. It was sickening.

16. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 15, 2009

HA ha :blush:

17. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Mar 15, 2009

We were requesting Clorox Wipes until the county stepped in and made a "county wide list". They switched it to "baby wipes". I still use the Clorox wipes as often as I can. I also have the kids wipe down their desks inside and out at least once a week with the "baby wipes".

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 15, 2009

I use them everyday on the markers on my whiteboard and on my front table which everyone touches, as well as the door knobs. I am a germaphobe.

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 15, 2009

Day cares constantly sanitize their surfaces. Plain old bleach water does a great job. The health inspector lets us keep a spray bottle in the classroom. But, we are not allowed to use hand sanitizer due to the alcohol in them. We definately notice a raise in sickness when we do not sanitize.

20. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Mar 15, 2009

I have never heard of this, and I wipe down my tables with Lysol or Clorox wipes three times a day. I ask parents to send in donations of them. I have 18 4 year olds eating snack at their tables twice a day (2 classes). After each class eats, I take them to the carpet for the next activity and my assistant wipes down the tables. We also wipe them at the end of the day when the kids are gone. If I didn't wipe them down, my afternoon class would have to come in and sit at tables that had had food on them. Groooooooss!

I have never had a child had a reaction, nor thought about it to be honest. It is something to keep in mind, but I'm sorry, baby wipes just won't do the job. I need to see on that container "kills 99% of germs" LoL it makes me feel better. I would be more concerned about spraying bleach water on the tables- I can't even stand to be in the room when the custodian comes in to spray it in our bathroom at the end of the day because the smell gets to me.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 15, 2009

We did this in my freshman bio lab in college. The dirtiest places were the cafeteria tables and chairs and the water fountains. The cleanest place on the entire U of Miami campus were the toilets in the first floor bathrooms of one of the larger classroom buildings.

22. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 15, 2009

That blows my mind that they would say you can't have disinfectant wipes. I have them and I teach high school. My students know where they are and have gotten them out on their own! Its awesome to get off pen/pencil marks on my barely year old desks.
    I do have air fresheners going..puberty + lack of or barely there deodorant + gym class..shudders..if it bothers someone we turn it off or open the windows, but two years and close to 400 studets later and no one has complained, in fact-they comment when it ISN'T around and beg to spray it to make the place not smell like "smelly dirty boys" as one young lady put it.

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2009

I ask for them on the school supply list and we also use them once a week to clean out the desks. I seriously think I've had less kids out sick because of it over the last few years. I don't know what I'd do without them!

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 15, 2009

The problem with them is multi-faceted.

1) As the nurse pointed out, they're not hypo-allergenic. A child could potentially have a reaction to the perfumes and cleaning agents.

2) They're toxic. Although it would be near impossible for a small child to ingest enough of the cleaner to do harm, the possibility is there.

3) In the overly litigous society we live in, school boards would rather deal with sick kids than a law suit. I can't say I blame them. I would make the same choice if I owned a school.

25. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 15, 2009

You're RIGHT on target my friend. Let me try to boil it down....

If a TEACHER does something to protect a kid from a MAJOR infection, but causes a minor injury in the process.....the teacher and the school is liable for the minor injure.

If a teacher does nothing and that major infection occurs, it's not the teacher's fault so there is no liability.

Your whole class gets the Flu cause you didn't disinfect, you're not responsible. If ONE kid has a reaction to the disinfectant, you ARE liable.

26. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 16, 2009

Well, I guess I'm not too ashamed to say we spray down every surface with a bleach based cleaner every Friday, and scrub, scrub, scrub. I loathe germs, and I've been sick enough this year and last to make me officially Kate Gosselin-ish germaphobic.

The kids sometimes complain ("Ick! It smells like a swimming pool in here!" "Ah," I say, "smells like cleanliness!"), but illnesses have gone down.

27. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2009

We use Clorox Cleanup in a spray bottle and paper towels after the kids go outside. I wipe down all of the tables every day and the surfaces they come into contact with a lot like the bathroom door, the sink faucets, etc.

However, in our school the health department won't let the kids even use spic and span cleaner. We had to come up with vinegar and water in spray bottles for then to use because it's safe. OUr elementary kids clean up after lunch (private school) and they clean their classroom every evening before they go home.

28. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 16, 2009

Oh, and I read on a teacher blog once that she used 1 part bubble bath to 2 parts water, put it in a spray bottle for the kids to use and it actually cleaned everything well.

I use it for the kids in my classroom for when they make a mess on the table with paint or crayons or markers, etc, and it really works! Doesn't disinfect, but it works.

29. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

We use wipes in our classroom daily. I wipe down the tables after we have snack. I never let them do it though.

30. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2009

We weren't allowed to bring in any cleaner of our own. If we wanted to clean our desks (because the custodians DIDN'T), we had to go to the custodian and get a bottle of the approved stuff.

Except the "approved" stuff made my eyes water like crazy and me sneeze uncontrollably. I hid bleach-water spray bottles in my locked file cabinet and cleaned the desks after school, when all the kiddos were gone.

In case you're interested, the bleach to water ratio for disinfecting is 1 tbsp bleach to 1 gallon water. The smell is gone by the next morning.

31. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 16, 2009

I use them too, all the germs, ick!

32. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

I have them in my room but I don't use them often at all. I use the spray on the keyboards, the writing center, whisper phones, pencils etc. I don't do it often though.

We have had so many kids out at our school over the winter. We have a student body of slightly over 800 and one day we had 192 kids out. Flu, both type A and B, and now strep have hit us hard.

33. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

I don't know about the wipes - though this could easily be related.

A person behind me in our reading methods class once used the Purell anti-bacteria lotion on their hands and the girl next to me flew into a fit. She started screaming..."I have asthma. Are you trying to KILL me????????"

The asthma girl was WAY over the top in her reaction to the guy, but the smell WAS really strong. Perhaps those with asthma are super-sensitive to the alcohol smell.

34. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Mar 16, 2009

I have allergies/asthma and use purell, germ-x..whichever I grab first at the store ..all the time. Perhaps she may be just sensitive to alcohol or watches alot of TV where, if you let it, everything is destined to kill us in some form or fashion sooner or later

35. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 16, 2009

Yeah... I mean she stood and disrupted class, screamed, and ran out.

This is a senior in college... totally out of line. But that's how the girl was. VERY smart, just a bit odd. (Now watch... she's here in the forum. Oooops. Well, if you so... you know who you are! :p )

36. frogger

frogger Devotee

Mar 16, 2009

No never heard that before but if I don't use that and actual soap and water a lot of the kids and myself will get sick.

37. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Mar 16, 2009

No wipes, spray, or hand sanitizer that is not provided by the county. Only...they never supply us with this stuff, so we use it anyway.

38. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Mar 16, 2009

My brother has severe issues with asthma. If there was a room that someone either sprayed with bleach and water or a lot of people just used Germ-X, he would have to leave fast, but probably not scream. It just makes his throat start closing up. He can't take the alcohol or bleach smell.

That being said, I do use Clorox wipes during school, and we are encouraged to. Our students use them to clean up after lunch (high schoolers), but I only let students in my room touch baby wipes.

I teach kids with special needs and some of them get sick more easily and some of them seem to produce a lot more snot, either that or they can't control it. At any rate, Clorox wipes are a necessity but if I had a student with asthma in my room, I would wait til they were gone to use them.

39. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 16, 2009

I thought the baby wipes were in place of hand sanitizer. I know that some places do not use hand sanitizer with little kids because they could eat it, so they use the wipes.

As for the clorox wipes, I have asthma and other lung problems, and I have to say that when we all wipe our desks I feel like I am suffocating. But, I still do it because I don't want to be sick. So, I can see their point but they should give you an alternative.

As for air freshners that some poeple mentioned PLEASE think twice about them. I had a teacher who used them and I felt horrible in her class. She never knew because I was too shy to say anything, but I was miserable!

40. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Mar 16, 2009

I know that those wipes actually do leave a residue (I only know because my guinea pig cage came with the warning not to use those wipes for that reason.) I never use them myself because they seem so expensive for what you actually get, but then again, I'm cheap and don't have my own room.

41. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Mar 16, 2009

We're only supposed to use "approved" cleaners in our classroom. I sneak in Clorox wipes every so often to clean, though. We can have hand sanitizer, but only for the teacher's personal use. I have asthma, but have never had problems with any of the cleaning products we're not supposed to use. I'll make sure not to use them when kids are in the room, though, because I'd hate to cause a reaction in someone else.