Clipboards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mstnteacherlady, May 18, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 18, 2009

At the beginning of the year, I bought 5 clipboards to use in the classroom. They were stored in a basket where the students could get them anytime they needed to use on - sitting on the floor, during recess, etc. They are the plain brown, hard board clipboards. I thought about painting them with spray paint or some other type of paint. Is there anyone who has done this? I want to cover up the writing on the clipboards and make them brighter. Any suggestions on how to do this. I don't plan to do anything like altering and using the pretty papers on them because they will just get messed up. I figured with paint, I could do this over again if needed. What do you think?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

The only problem I can see is the clippy part getting stuck in the paint. Also, it might be hard to paint under that thing.

Otherwise, it should work.

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

May 18, 2009

The only problem I can see is the clippy part getting stuck in the paint. Also, it might be hard to paint under that thing.

Otherwise, it should work.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 18, 2009

I can see the kids peeling at the paint. What about contact paper.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 18, 2009

Try decoupaging (is that a word?) it.

7. JustJim

JustJim Companion

May 18, 2009

Let me take off my grad student hat and pretend I'm still a cabinet maker . . . those clipboards are made of compressed fiber bonded with glue. They don't take and hold paint well at all, no matter how much you prep/prime/sand. If they've already been used, they will have picked up enough dirt and oil that almost nothing will stick to them.

If you really want to paint them, lightly sand them with 150 grit sandpaper. Apply a coat of Kilz primer (the spray paint kind), then paint with your choice of paint. You might also try Rustoleum for metal after sanding prep; it seems to bond well with bare wood products.

You could try taking some new ones and sealing them with one of the "oil" finishes, like Minwax etc. Those are actually a modified polyurethane, and it will at least make them easier to clean. This stuff comes in wood colors or clear, or even in primary colors. Whoever maintains the wood floors in your school gym will have lots of the clear finish on hand. You could also go with contact paper (though it will start to peel, and then the kids will tear it off).

I use a lot of these. Many have notes written on them that kids will find useful (spelling rules, etc), sketches, pictures, stuff like that. I've treated these with poly to seal them. I've also made a lot of others from various hardwoods. It isn't hard to do, they are easily identified, and kids seem to like them--they are sure more careful with them!

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 18, 2009

I used paint pens to make science designs on mine for my science center. They have held up well this year. All are still painted. I just wrote "scientist at work" and drew beakers, atoms, magnets, and other science signs.

9. MissBee06

MissBee06 Rookie

May 18, 2009

On most of the clipboards that metal part can be unscrewed and taken off to paint the clipboard. I bought a couple of these at Micheal's the other day and they are made to be painted and decorated. That will be my project over the next few days is to get them primed and painted. Oh, the primer that I bought is very easy to use and works well. It's in a spray can so it covers very evenly.

10. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

May 18, 2009

Thanks for the ideas!

JustJim, what you said really makes sense. I'll definitely take that into account. Thanks!

11. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 18, 2009

I love these ideas! I had a class set once, and I printed out large copies of Mary Engelbreit art. I then cut the pictures out, and glued them on the clipboards, and painted over them with Elmer's liquid glue. It held them on really well, and they were super cute. I think I recruited the secretary's daughter to help me paint, as we were all at school getting our rooms ready. Just an idea, although I love the paint pens and science designs idea!!

12. JustJim

JustJim Companion

May 18, 2009

Paint pens are a great idea--they might bond better with the surface.

A couple of mine have modified copies of my classroom bookplate, with a drawing (mostly Winnie the Pooh) and "Mr. J. is the boss of this clipboard." Works well with the little ones, although when I find myself in a secondary school the kids roll their eyes . . .