Clip Chart System?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MMRbella, Aug 1, 2010.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 1, 2010

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2010

We've done our own version the past few years. I despise the clip system, lol.
    I just don't like clips.
    The same kids seem to move their clips up/down or whatever.

4. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

I don't love the clip system, but it seems to work. I was looking into Magic 1-2-3, but I will never be able to keep track of what # each student is on. I checked out the link you provided and I like many of the points brought up. I will be trying this.

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 1, 2010

I'm sorry but I'm with Lynn on this one. I've never found it to be really effective in changing behavior-recording it for everyone to see, yes, but other than that I don't really see why it's better than just doling out a logical consequence for the kid.

It's funny to me that they're calling it "NEW management".

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2010

Wow!! I have to say thank you MMRbella for posting this link! I have never thought to do anything like this! As a 3rd grade teacher, I've used the red, yellow, green chart system in my class and for the most part its okay. The only problem was I felt the only time we focused on the chart was when someone had to move their color for negative behavior. I always tried to bring attention to those students who always stayed on green and showed positive behavior but didn't do it effectively. When I reads the ebook where it speaks on allowing students to move "up" as they day goes on was genious!! I love the idea of allowing the kids to work their way up to "top of the chart" and even "off the chart"...truly positive and that is what I've been wanting to do. I tried to reward kids who stayed on green with passes, stickers, treats etc. but not consistently. This way, they have a daily pat on the back as they feel rewarded for moving to higher levels.
    I LOVE: the idea of not having the students all start on green for doing nothing. How unfair is that?? I like the idea of having them start at a neutral place every morning. Great!!
    I LOVE: the idea of keeping record or score of the days by numbering the sections.
    I LOVE: the idea of allowing the students to upgrade to "new" clothespins throughout the year!! Awesome idea!! I like having them earn "bling" as they earn good days and trade their old clothespins for upgraded ones. It will remind them of the accomplishments they've made throughout the year (1st upgrade:yellow, 2nd upgrade: orange). Great idea!

I can go on and on. Needless to say, I am retiring my old yellow, red, green pocket chart and ordering this one tonight!! I am really excited about the change it will create in my classroom. Thanks again!!:thumb::p

7. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 3, 2010

Glad you liked it! I discovered that link while visiting this website: http://www.bainbridgeclass.com/index.htm

This teacher has a lot of great ideas, I especially liked the "Bucket Fillers" idea. ;) You should check it out!

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 3, 2010

I really like this. I consider it an "upgrade" to my pocket chart last year.

9. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 6, 2010

Hmmm... I've been using this chart for 4 years now, because I saw one in a colleague's room. I have been very frustrated with it, especially this past year. But... I never read the philosophy behind it or the instructions that are in this eBook. I may have to give it another shot now that I'm armed with more information and new blacklines.