Clip Chart- Behavior Management

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by teacherlissa, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

i do not like clips. they seem to work for the kids who don't need it... and the kids who always move their clip will always move their clip.

It may just depend on your class.

4. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

How do you manage behavior? I am looking for other suggestions as well. :)

5. tgim

tgim Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

In the past, I used a program similar to this - but it was handmade. Each student had a clip strip (half or 1/3 of a sheet of paper, landscape) with their names on it; they were good for a week (or longer if they didn't clip).

If there were behavior issues past the warning stage, I asked him/her to "clip" off the 1st section and write a sentence explaining why they had to clip. No consequence beyond that. If they had to clip again that week, they clipped off the next section and wrote why again, and lost 5 min. of recess. The third clip in a week meant the loss of the entire lunch recess (20 min.); the fourth = call home with me to explain what was happening, and loss of recess for rest of week; the fifth = conference with the principal and loss of all recess for a week.

The beauty of this was that you had a written record in the child's own handwriting what was occurring. I used these to help w/ report cards when doing the conduct/study skills side.

I will try to add a link so you can see the format:
    https://www.iwork.com/document/?d=Clip_Strip_Template.pages&a=p1029189332
    Hopefully, it won't ask for a login name and password.

Currently, I do a three-step system - you can look under the 3rd grade page and find out more about it; I think it is under the New to 3rd Grade thread.

6. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

Personally I like the clip system. And I love starting in the middle. Our school wide system only lets you move down, but I wish we would move to this new system.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

I like the positive aspect of moving up, but am not a fan of the clips in general. Some people love them though.

8. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

We used to start in the middle. Super choices allowed them to move up. Not-so-great choices and they moved down. If they moved up to the top, they got a special sticker on their behavior chart. If they moved down, we had a corresponding code that matched the report card and we marked it in their folder.

This year we are doing what the rest of our school does - conduct marks. It is aligned with our report card. We are supposed to be a love and logic school. They have a problem, hey need to solve it. However the conduct mark just shows the parents what their problem was.

Clips work really well for our kinder classes. I guess the kids are just over clips when they come to 1st. I don't know...

9. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Jul 15, 2010

TGIM it did ask for login name and password.

10. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

I use the homemade version. I hated that the clips only moved down for bad behavior. I was always looking for bad behavior and I felt icky at the end of the day. Plus, it was always the same kids moving their clips down.

So I added colors to the top for children to aspire to. If they move their clip to the top, I put a token with their student number on it into a bucket. On Friday, I pick 3 tokens and those students get to sign their name on the Wall Of Fame in the hallway. It's really just a piece of poster board that I decorated. The kids were SUPER excited to sign and many had their parents take pictures of them!!!

I'm now focusing on good/positive behaviors and I don't feel icky at the end of the day.:D

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 15, 2010

12. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 15, 2010

I like this idea. Thank you for the visual! Now to adopt it to my ocean/beach theme.....hmmmm.

13. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 15, 2010

Some goofy ideas...
    Being a sea star
    A real Angelfish
    Splashing into a good day
    Day at the Beach (middle)
    Crabby start

Obviously I had more ideas for the good behavior than bad. LOL

14. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I also like your behavior chart. I love the baseball theme to it. How do students move to the base hit and homerun? Once there, do they earn something special? I have a money system in my room. I will have to think about how I should do this.

What about group behaviors? Does anyone do this? I have done marbles in the past, but can't seem to keep up with it. I really need to revamp what I am doing in my classroom. Last school year was a rough year so I am rethinking so I start off on a positive note and stay there this coming up school year.

15. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 15, 2010

I use something similar to this but my clips have the number I assign them. That way I can reuse clips year after year.

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 15, 2010

Thanks. Yes they get prizes. If they get a base hit, they earn a ticket for my biweekly raffle. Homerun earns an automatic "pass". I have different passes (hw, seat switch, computer, high 5, microwave, refrigerator, and lunch early pass) and I make sure to get someone to home run during the first few days so they get excited about it.

When I used to do class cash, they earned cash as well as a pass. They were charged $5, $25, and $50 for the strikes.

I do table points as well, but the only whole class reward is the homework one. I put up one letter of the word HOMEWORK each day that everyone brings in their homework. Once they spell the word, I give them an extra 10 minutes recess.

17. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

Oh, I love this idea! Thanks!

18. Noel

Noel Companion

Jul 15, 2010

I like this idea....I have a pocket chart that is green, yellow and red, but don't like the fact that when I used it in the past, the students couldn't move up for positive behaviors, etc.

Any one have ideas to use this with my Rock Star theme?

19. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I like the idea of spelling out Homework to earn something. I can't offer extra recess as that is frowned upon in our school....its all about time on task. I will have to come up with another idea after spelling out Homework. Thanks for some great ideas. I am really going to be working on classroom spirit this school year.

20. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 15, 2010

I don't know if I necessarily agree with the concept of moving a clip up that has already been moved down. If you are disrespectful or irresponsible, you need to own it and and take on your consequence. Good behavior doesn't erase bad behavior. But, I also understand the desire to want to reward students for making good choices.

21. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

agreed!

22. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2010

If, say, a student moves down to strike 3, what happens? Are the parents contacted? Does each strike carry a penalty? 5 min, 10 min, etc?

And, as said above, if a student moves down, can they move back up that day? How do you handle that?

Thanks for posting your room pics. How do you keep the clipboards on the wall?

23. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 15, 2010

I don't allow students to move up after moving down.

24. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2010

However, if there is no possibility for "redemption", the student has no incentive to improve their behaviour.

25. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

For the older students, especially, I agree with this. I no longer do a color chart, but when I did, I wouldn't move students up if they moved down. All it taught them was that they could misbehave at first, behave for a while, and then all is good. This translates to all of my consequences, which is a rude awakening for some kids at the beginning of the year.

I see that I'm in the minority on this, but I had to do the color chart at one school where I worked, and I couldn't stand it. I felt it kind of broke the flow of instruction when either I or a student had to go move their clip/card/etc. I also had the students who would pester me about moving back up. By my third year teaching, I realized that I only had a few kids per class whose behavior was really that annoying, and it wasn't mandatory at that school, so I dropped it. If I have problems with individual students, we work out individual goals/solutions. By upper elementary, I think this is feasible.

I like to do whole class behavior rewards, because I'm really into team sports and I try to get my classes to think of themselves as a team.

26. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

When I did the chart, if students improved their behavior, they didn't move down the chart any further. If they kept goofing off, they moved down. That was their incentive to behave.

27. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 15, 2010

I loved looking at the pictures of your room! I just gotta ask, though, how many students do you have? You've got 30+ clipboards up for student work.

28. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Well, we have a grant that gives us a 25 to 1 ratio, over the summer last year we thought we lost the grant which would put us back up to 34 to 1. Thank goodness we kept the grant so I actually removed the ones from the white board and the ones hanging at the bottom. It looked much neater. I should have replaced that picture, I will snap some new pics this summer when i set my room back up.

29. Scout About

Scout About Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

* I tried to quote one of the posts above, but it didn't work the way I wanted it to!

The good choice later in the day does not negate the poor choice made earlier. Once they clip down, they have to accept the consequence, whether it be a reminder and model of the proper procedure, a time out, a behavior reflection, a note in the planner or phone call home, or whatever. Knowing they can move back up and end the day on a good note is the cool part about it, I think. With that being said, I do not use the clip chart in my room. I use a classroom economy which works for me and my students. I also feel a little funny displaying students' behavior for all to see. However, I do use the clip chart system at home with my four year old son. It works like a charm! :)

30. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

Can you go into more detail about how you implement your classroom economy disc plan?

31. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

For my ocean theme I am trying to come up with names for the different sections on my behavior chart. So far I've got:

Sea Star

Happy Clam

Friendly Fish

??????

??????

Can anyone think of two names for poor choices? I've been staring at my screen for 30 minutes and I've got nothing!! :help:

32. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2010

I was going to say something like "worthless whale" but I love whales and the word worthless doesn't really fit a behavior chart(and is kinda harsh!).

Do you have to have all those names?

33. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I gave up on it and decided to do pirate destinations instead of animal names. I got:

Buried Treasure <--- still iffy about this one
    Happy Sailing
    At Sea
    Turbulent Waters
    Shipwrecked

34. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

Crabby :lol:

35. Noel

Noel Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I like this is it very cute!! You're doing great with the names....I am doing a rock star theme this year and have been racking my brain all day and have come up with nothing!

Any ideas for Rock Stars?

36. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Topping the Charts
    Local Celebrity
    Recording Studio
    Struggling Musician
    Out of Tune or Off Beat

Just thought those up in like 5 min! Funny how it takes me forever for my own theme :lol:

37. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

Rock Star
    One Hit Wonder
    ODed Has-been

38. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 17, 2010

ROFL :rofl:

39. Noel

Noel Companion