Climbing and jumping off tables!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Master Pre-K, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2008

Hello All,

This is something I have seen before in other schools (with special ed.), but one particular child has started doing it, and I need help.

He climbs on a desk, table or counter, or stove in housekeeping. He only does it when I am alone in the room! This is too weird because I have never seen him do it before...and, he doesn't do it when the other teachers are there.

What the heck is this all about???

You know my concerns. He will fall, or jump..he has jumped when I called out to him. I feel that this is a lose-lose proposition for me. He must be doing it for attention, and he must know it worries me, and the minute I go up to him, I fear he will jump, or fall. And then I have the issue of a child falling off a table. The dreaded 'accident report'!

Why is he doing this, and what can I do to stop it? BTW, don't mention asking the other teachers, you know they don't like me and will probably say something stupid and be absolutely no help at all.

:help:

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 27, 2008

MasterPrek,
    That is one I have never had! I don't even have any good suggestions. Maybe a sticker chart with a sticker for when he keeps his feet on the floor?

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 27, 2008

What are you doing when you are alone? Are you waiting for other students to arrive?

5. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 27, 2008

This just started happening when the other teacher(s) would step out. He instinctively knows I am alone..he won't even do it if a parent is there!

I will be talking and working with other children, monitoring the room. Like clockwork, wherever he is, he climbs on a table or counter! Should I just run over to where he is as soon as the other teacher leaves?! Or maybe make him go out too? bathroom..washing hands, etc.

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 28, 2008

Good idea. As soon as the other adult steps out of the room, grab him quick and find him some busy work!

7. japanesemacaque

japanesemacaque Rookie

Apr 30, 2008

MasterK, I have a similiar problem, only my child climbs on furniture whenever, and there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. I'm positive in both our situations it's for attention, but we all know there's only so much attention you can give a kid before you start neglecting other children....

... so I would say the best thing to do is talk to his parents. As crazy as it is, some parents let their kids climb on furniture, even tables. If they don't, they can probably give you advice on a good discipline tactic that works for them.

Wow, I could never get away with this at my school... I'd get in so much trouble for making a child stand on a table. Good advice when applied to naptime though! :)

8. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

Apr 30, 2008

Yea Ive never done the table thing.

But the Nap time thing works - wish I could patent it. Nothing makes a child wanna do something quicker than telling him hes not allowed to.

Also if they wanna put their feet/arms in the air - the same principal applies. Make em do it they BEG I promise they start crying and begging. THen they just fall asleep peacefully.

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 30, 2008

MPK, I would make sure that he has a job to do before your aide leaves and make sure that he is beside you... Do you use time out/away in your class?

I make my student with autism sit at his desk when he climbs (he hates not being able to sit with the other students).

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 30, 2008

"I like it when kids are being safe. I care about all of you. Good job (start naming names)." Ignore him completely while you do this (well look from the corner of your eyes). Then if he hops down and looks like he is begging you to notice, say "Good Job X, I'm glad to see you want to be safe. I want you to be safe too."

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 30, 2008

I just tell my student "Feet on the ground" and I praise him when he listens. Too much talking goes over his head. If I have to help him down, I say "J. was climbing and when J. climbs he has to sit at his desk." Before he is able to leave his desk he has to tell me why he is at his desk and what will happen if he does it again.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2008

that, hawkeye, is a child endangerment case waiting to happen. There is nothing good about an adult who allows a child to stand on a table. I would have absolutely no defense for that situation. that is just Murphy's Law in action. Anyone in the whole darn building would probably show up and I would be out of a job. Not to mention 18 little snitchers who will only say, Master Pre-K made him get on the table.

13. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2008

Ditto...that is unthinkable...see my response..

parents do not want to hear anything negative about their kids. Period. end of discussion. They think they are all angels. They stand there and watch them make a mess. And then look at me, and tell me, he made a mess. And I say, "Yes he did." Then they make a face, come in and clean it for him. I think he does this just like climbing and jumping off the table, IMO ...to get more attention.

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2008

and I bet I won't have a job anywhere in the state of IL.

that is called child endangerment. get a few of those on your record, and you could have your license suspended

any adult in the room when a child gets hurt is responsible.

Not to mention the fact that these are children we are talking about here. Nobody wants to see them hurt.

15. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2008

Not in this case CNG...this is when he and his partners in crime start punching each other. You CAN'T ignore this behavior. It only gets worse. And then, somebody gets hurt.

I think I am getting to the root of my problem. It is kind of hard to stop someone from hurting themselves or others without physically touching them. Sure, you can yell and scream across the room, but that only works for so long, and with a few...unless you have established yourself, and the parent backs you up, but this is not happening here.

I started holding his hand before I start an activity. That way, he doesn't have time to climb or hit when the other teacher walks out.

16. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

Apr 30, 2008

Well I watch my children - but it is not always possible to keep your eye on every child every second.... In a split second a kid can get hurt.L ike today - one kid was biting another, I went to pull him off and that second is when one of my little ones climbed on the cubbies, fell backwards and got a knot on his head. Does that mean I wasnt a responsible teacher? Of course not - just means I am human and we as humans cant keep our eyes on 100% of the children 100% of the time. I have never made a child stand on a table and I wo0uld not - i was mostly giving it as an example of reverse psychology. Sorry for any confusion.

17. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

Apr 30, 2008

Master:

You can make him yhour "best buddy" as in he holds you hand during the day, during activities etc... had a buddy all day today.

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 1, 2008

it's okay...I'm just keeping it real, on the legal tip. Honestly, I think something else is going on. My co-teacher is setting me up. You can't watch all of them all the time, that's why you have two teachers. We have to start looking out for ourselves. Too many schools and parents are just itching to clean house, and that is one way to do it.

that is just another issue in pre=k...those dreaded biters! they do it for attention too! And it always seems to get them their way in an instant.

you kinda have to wonder what on earth makes a 5 year old bite! I am sure when he gets to kindergarten, someone will set this poor soul straight...in more ways than one.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 1, 2008

:confused:Perhaps for attention the child could become the (teacher dreaded-but child loved) "helper". So that when the other teacher leaves the room (because I am not sure they will tell you when they are going to) you can say "X, could you help Y wash hands, or blow nose, or find markers?" Then he is distracted and helping while getting attention. Hopefully by the time they get the markers or tissue the other teacher will be back. This works really well in my group.

20. hawkeye

hawkeye Companion

May 1, 2008

Well........
    This particular one mom and dad are going through the Big "D" (Divorce) and he is old enoyugh to know - He comes to me at leats once a day asking for loving cuz 'dadd moved out and he misses him" So..... He bites for my attention. THe others, Im not sure - some kids are just biters.

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

May 2, 2008

thanks... I like this idea... I guess I had not thought of it before because usually behavior problems are things that have been ongoing, and you build in strategies to deal with them. This came out of the blue, and yes...it only happens with me!

22. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

May 3, 2008

I am glad you like my idea. It really works well in my program. I noticed that sometimes teachers/staff/parents overthink what could be causing a problem, so once we tried to just "distract the child, to tune out the problem time". It worked. And no hand holding! We do hold hands, but the distinction of misbehavior=hand holding in my program began to work against us. This was a life saver. Hold on. I am sure another behavior will repace the table jumping soon.