Cliche "First Year Teacher" Question

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by NewTeacher2017!, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Aug 1, 2017

So I will be starting my first year of teaching in a few weeks. The usual nervousness is there and I've heard a lot of the usual "everything will be fine" and such regarding how to start my class. I'm looking for some ideas of how to best handle the first few weeks regarding instituting the classroom policies and just getting the learning started in general. I've done training and such before but between lesson plans and trying to decide on the classroom theme, I figured I would see if any veteran teachers could give me any handy advice.

Thanks in advance

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 1, 2017

Worry most about classroom management and content. Everything else will work itself out. It might be helpful to detail grade/subject for more detailed thoughts.

bella84 likes this.
  4. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Aug 2, 2017

I second classroom management. Make sure your expectations are known from day 1. I like to plan a subject related activity the first few days to get to know any new students, see if the students I have had before regressed over the summer, and get everyone back in the swing of school.. It's also a good time to do any course pretesting. That will help you know what you need to focus on and help you with any data you might need to provide.