Cleveland area folks

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SouthJerseyguy, Apr 8, 2015.

1. SouthJerseyguy

SouthJerseyguy Rookie

Apr 8, 2015

It is that time of year again. We are strongly considering moving out to Ohio, probably Cleveland suburban area (my wife's work may relocate us, and she has family and friends there). My wife would prefer the eastern suburbs of the city and we know folks an hour west who love their area, too. We are currently in NJ, I am certified in NJ and PA. Our son will be starting 1st grade, and I am a mid-life career changer who doesn't have tenure (my background is mostly Elementary and Middle School). Where would you look if you were in my situation?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Apr 8, 2015

Ohio is tough. I grew up in the Akron area and now live in Columbus. I would live somewhere central and be okay with a commute.

Lots of charters in some of the cities.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 8, 2015

My original certificate was from PA. Depending on how long you've had yours, you might need to take the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) Praxis. I'd start looking at the Ohio Department of Education site to gauge your search options.

I will also take the opportunity to point out that my online school, along with many others, tends to hire teachers from all over the state. Some work in regional offices, others from home.

5. SouthJerseyguy

SouthJerseyguy Rookie

Apr 8, 2015

Thanks for the responses. I finished up my teaching masters and received my PA and NJ certs in 2012. I will definitely be in touch about the online info.

Thanks for the info.

6. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Apr 8, 2015

Lorain City (west suburbs) is having a big hire this year but it is very urban.

7. SouthJerseyguy

SouthJerseyguy Rookie

Apr 10, 2015

Ohio middle school

Two big questions:
    1) In Ohio, I am noticing Eng. and Lang Arts + Social Studies MS positions, are they frequently paired there (does the average MS teacher need both certs)? We have some of that in NJ but it is not the usual thing.

2) In PA, you can add on a bunch of certs simply by taking a Praxis test. In NJ, you need to have 5 college classes or a college minor in a field to get an add-on cert. I have two masters (Ed and Writing), I have taken many classes covering a wide swath of content learning. I have added many PA certs on this way.
    What is the system like in Ohio? Can you simply test-out to get a cert or do you need a bunch of college classes?

8. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

I'm a Clevelander, work at a private school, live in CLE. I have active state certification and have worked in public schools. Are you asking where would we look for jobs or to live?

1) Yes, those are often paired together, but not always. I wouldn't say you need to have both as there are many positions for just ELA or S.S.

2)No, in Ohio you usually have to jump through a lot of hoops (classes and practicum) to get certified, you can't just take a test, unfortunately. Although there are exceptions - I do have a friend with a PhD in her teaching area who wrote a very convincing letter to the ODE - they had originally required she student teach to get certified - and they ended up allowing her to get certified without that. If you are certified in another state it may not be that bad - The Ohio Department of Education can review your certifications in PA and give you instructions on how to proceed.

Hope that helps some!

9. SouthJerseyguy

SouthJerseyguy Rookie

Apr 13, 2015

I'm already certified in two states and have done student teaching. I am actually teaching a full year under contract this year. I'm talking about adding additional certs or endorsements.

10. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Apr 21, 2015

To add certifications you will likely still need to take classes and do some sort of practicum in Ohio. I had to do this when I added TESOL and Spanish, so I had to work part time while doing it.

Again, the ODE would be able to tell you this for sure.

11. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Apr 21, 2015

I live in a suburb halfway between Cleveland and Akron. Are you asking where to look for a job or where to live for your son to attend school? I have seen tons of articles floating around lately ranking Ohio cities, you may want to seek out some of those to see which suburb is best for what you're looking for.

I love where I'm located - the area is great for my kids' schooling, I can quickly get to downtown Cleveland as well as downtown Akron (about 30 minute drive to each), and all of the districts around here are really nice. This area is pretty far from the way west side though - like an hour to Lorain, for example.

Like someone else mentioned above, I also teach for an online school. I get to work from home. Any in-person meetings we've had this year have only been about an hour to an hour and a half away from me.

I've gotten a couple of endorsements since my undergrad - no master's yet but I'm going back to grad school soon I think. Anyway, let me know if there are any questions I can answer for you!

12. great_catsby

great_catsby Rookie

Apr 30, 2015

Because of its big schools of education, Ohio is one of a few states where the job search is incredibly competitive and there are many certified teachers but not nearly enough positions for them all.

If you'd like to see a breakdown of the salary schedules in each district, Google 'OEA Salary Data by school district Ohio.' The second hit should take you to a page with Excel spreadsheets of info that you can sort by county.