Cleaning Whiteboards

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mathmagic, Aug 16, 2017.

1. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2017

So, of course, I left both my final day schedule up, as well as my end-of-year "learning targets". In addition, you can always tell the old smudging on the whiteboards.

Does anyone have some tips for how to clean the boards in the fastest, yet safest (i.e. so it still writes like normal) way, including for spots that are probably harder than others?

novaguy1968 likes this.
  3. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Aug 16, 2017

Why not just use white board cleaner? That always seems to work the best for me.

czacza, mathmagic and bella84 like this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 16, 2017

haha. Duh, self. I guess that's what happens when I haven't had any in my classroom in a while :p Target, here I come!

However, any suggestions for the more dried parts? At least on my white-boardy calendars, it didn't come off well. I used hand sanitizer, since I only write on them once a year anyways, but would that be harmful to the whiteboards?

5. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2017

Get yourself some windshield de-icer spray, preferably the hand pump type rather than the aerosol. Spray it onto a rag and wipe the board, finishing with a clean rag.

6. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 16, 2017

After a while, just cleaning won't work. You'll most likely benefit from a bottle of white board refinisher. It's about the consistency of mustard, and you put it on the white board after you have cleaned the surface. Then, you buff it, and it will shine and restore the ability of the surface to be erased. It's about $14 a bottle (you don't use it often...a bottle will last a couple of years in my experience); available on Amazon (not the spray)-->https://www.amazon.com/Quartet-Boar...34&sr=8-2&keywords=quartet+whiteboard+cleaner

Also, I have found that custodians who don't know better (or who were never told) sometimes clean white boards with Windex or the like! The Quartet BoardGear will help restore the finish that those cleaners strip away.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  7. CherryOak

CherryOak Comrade

Aug 16, 2017

If you're working with a small amount, just coloring over old markings with an expo will usually make them erasable again.

czacza likes this.
  8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2017

I was in the same classroom for 17 years, and I never cleaned my boards with anything besides baby wipes. The boards were brand new when I got the classroom, and they still looked brand new when I left it three years ago.

The room I'm in now didn't look nearly as good, but I got the old stains off with Goo Gone Graffiti Remover. After that, I went right back to using the wipes on it.

mathmagic and czacza like this.
  9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2017

hand sanitizer

otterpop likes this.
  10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2017

That sounds like much too much work.

11. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Aug 17, 2017

Yep!

Upsadaisy likes this.
  12. novaguy1968

novaguy1968 MS English Educator

Aug 17, 2017

Not at all. And the results are worth it.

13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2017

Thank you, and everyone else, for all the ideas! I had used the hand sanitizer on my calendars as mentioned earlier, but since I could lie those horizontally, it was much easier to do that.

However, I tried the baby wipes, and it worked magnificently and with ease! Maybe it's a good thing I didn't know that before -- I'd be using them all the time to keep the board looking so nice :p

Ima Teacher and otterpop like this.