Cleaning up

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by A_User_Name, May 1, 2008.

1. A_User_Name

A_User_Name Rookie

May 1, 2008

So today, the children, gr. 5, left the class at the end of the day. Ran so fast! The next thing I knew there was gym strips, books, and other "random/typical" things you would find by the class hooks on the floor.

Is a substitute or teacher responsible for picking all of that up?

3. a_apple_z_zebra

a_apple_z_zebra Rookie

May 2, 2008

I don't know how things are done in your school district, but in mine, one of the criteria that permanent teachers rate substitute teachers is keeping the classroom tidy. However, this is the students' responsibility. If it were me, I would have picked up the mess (since they've already left), and left a note to the teacher about it.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 2, 2008

I'm not gonna lie. If I returned after an absence and found my classroom a mess, I'd never want to have that sub again.

I feel like it's the sub's responsibility to ensure good classroom behavior, and part of that includes having the students clean up after themselves. The sub should have good time management skills and should plan to devote the last few minutes of the period or day to have students straighten up. If the sub wasn't careful about managing their time, then frankly I would expect the sub to straighten up on hir own.

5. SmartCookie

SmartCookie Comrade

May 2, 2008

I would recommend that you clean it up. I am a stckler for organization and cleanliness. I would have a sub banned from the school for that. My Principal would totally agree.

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 2, 2008

I have to agree with everyone else. I expect the sub to leave my room the way they found my room -neat and tidy :)

7. A_User_Name

A_User_Name Rookie

May 2, 2008

Thanks for the honest feedback everyone. I could use the excuse I'm new to subbing and didn't know any better. I just didn't think of it until after I left. Now I feel like an idiot. But I guess I will think of it next time, if there ever is one at that school, and other schools.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 3, 2008

It's an honest mistake. When you're new to being in charge of a classroom in any capacity (as a sub or regular teacher), it's super easy to overlook things. It took me a long time before I was able to train my brain to know when there were about 5 minutes left in class so that we could clean up. Until I started doing it instinctively, I had to keep a very close eye on the clock.

Don't stress about it, just do better next time.

:)

9. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 15, 2008

Lets just go with the rule that if it were your classroom would want it left in a hot mess. No, would be my guess. In my area all the classes allow like the last 20-30mins to clean up and pack up and they usually do clean up. I tell my kids like k-2nd graders if you pack up and clean up quietly I will read you a story . I then read them a short book. I let the older ones like 3rd-5th graders play a game of some kind a short one like heads up 7 up, or I spy or this works well for kindergarten or 1st graders if the teacher has stickers or candy (my teachers never mind me using it) I tell them if you get packed up and cleaned up quietly and you were good all day you get a prize.