Cleaning the Dreaded Front Load Washing Machine - Thought I Would Share

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by a2z, May 24, 2020.

1. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2020

I've been buying detergent that claims you can wash in cold and get your clothing clean. It seems to work. The downside is that even with that one time a month "Washer Clean" cycle with real bleach, the machine developed a funky smell and ick in the drain tubing.

Of course, except for when I am running the machine, the door remains open, and I never, ever let wet clothing sit in the washer.

I tried everything to clean it. Eventually I saw something on line, and we all know if it is on-line, it must be true. Ha ha But this worked well for my stainless interior washer. I used dishwasher detergent and the hottest setting. I had to do this a few times, but it is all better now.

Tired Teacher and vickilyn like this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020

That doesn't surprise me - dishwasher detergent can also be used to clean toilets, sinks, and bathtubs. I use the pods or tablets, and for toilets, I just throw a couple of them into the tank with the reservoir water and they continuously clean the bowl with very little effort from me. I let the sinks and bathtubs have hot water to start, throw in the pods, let them sit overnight, and then just add more water and use the brush to finish them off. I only got to this experimental phase when 1. I was sick and felt terrible. 2. I couldn't go to the store and find any cleaning supplies. You know what they say - necessity is the mother of invention!

Tired Teacher, bella84 and a2z like this.
  4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2020

It is definitely not the cheapest way to clean, but clean is better than no-clean.

vickilyn likes this.
  5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020

I would never have tried it until all other cleaning products were gone. Still hard to get many of them around here, but Amazon made getting the Cascade Platinum pods a piece of cake, and I never had to shop all over surrounding towns. Remembering how bad I felt, that was a blessing. I feel better, but that hasn't brought the cleaning products back. Who knows - maybe when I least expect it there will be bleach and the spray foams to clean the sinks and bathtub. I actually think that the pods may continue to clean the toilets - time will tell! :cool:

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2020

We managed to snag some vinegar and some scrubbing bubbles at Costco a while back. Costco finally had hand soap. We were on the last few pumps. Our local stores are devoid of just about any cleaning product. I even managed to find Clorox last week at a store. I was out and needed some.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020

You must be persistent - I am still without cleaning products, and missing my bleach, and I only on Friday found one pint of rubbing alcohol for hubby to use in his practice.

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 24, 2020

It was just luck. Sheer luck. I happened to be at the right store at the right time. It was one I rarely ever go to, but I had to pick up something I couldn't find at my other local grocery store a few weeks before because they don't carry it.

I don't shop often. I only like to go one place every week at the most - even then I prefer to make it every two weeks if I can.

vickilyn likes this.
  9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 24, 2020

I’ve never known anyone who loved their front-loading washer.

My 20 year old super capacity top loading Maytag stopped working last summer, and I bought an even bigger top loading Samsung. I’ve always left the top open when it’s not in use, though.

I‘Ve never owned a dishwasher, so I’ve never had experience with detergent for one. However, I’m intrigued by the toilet cleaning use.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 24, 2020

You know what they say about necessity being the mother of invention - well, when you are down to the last cleaning product in the house, you reach for it. In all honesty, I also had some Tide Pods, but figured that having a fabric softener included made them less desirable than something that could clean "baked on lasagna". Face it, it was a toss up, and the dishwasher detergent just happened to exceed expectations - and I had that on hand.

bella84 likes this.
  11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 25, 2020

Growing up we didn't have a lot of money. My mother often used products we had for cleaning supplies. We took a lot of baths rather than showers as a kid. I had to clean the bathroom as one of my chores. Sometimes someone in the family wouldn't clean the tub after the bath. My mom always said just use a little washing machine soap powder. It was amazing for cleaning soap scum. Apparently it cut the bar soap and bath ring like a charm. Now, it didn't disinfect, but my mom's belief was that for the most part, hot water and soap removes most of the germs, except for mold. She would, off and on, do a Clorox cleaning if anyone was sick.

bella84, Tired Teacher and vickilyn like this.
  12. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 25, 2020

Be careful then if you use 1. lol A friend came to visit me a long time ago. She was so sweet that she was letting me sleep in and decided to straighten up. Eventually, she woke me up...kind of freaked out. She'd used dish soap to fill the place where you put the dishwasher powder. My kitchen had bubbles on the floor up to my ankles. :) Cleaned the floor too...:)

bella84 likes this.
  13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

May 25, 2020

I still have a lot of cleaning supplies. I buy in bulk usually and had them on hand. I am using them more sparingly though. ( Especially paper towels) I just took 3 white towels this week and started using them for basic clean ups that I normally would have used PT's. I can bleach and wash them. ( I have an unopened bucket tide pods and 1 opened.) I use paper towels to get fat off of meat. So my 1 roll left will have to last me a long time as I am not planning a shopping trip.