Cleaning desks with shaving cream?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by snickydog, May 29, 2009.

1. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

May 29, 2009

I'm just curious about this, because I've seen a few posts about having students practice spelling/handwriting on their desks with shaving cream. Every time I've done this, the desks don't get clean - they end up kinda greasy! Is there a certain brand and type of shaving cream that works well? And how much do you put on each desk?

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 29, 2009

Funny you should post. The kindergarten were doing it today when I walked by and COULD not resist getting my hands into it.
    I thought it was an art thing. I drew some faces in the stuff.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

May 29, 2009

Just did it with the class today. It was just for fun for the last day of school. It does clean the top of the desk if you wipe them clean with a sponge or towel. It took off any pencil marks, and helped get the tape from name tags off (still needed goo gone though because someone was tape happy while I was absent for a week earlier in the year). We used a cheap brand Barbasol I think.
    Even if they are left a little greasy, all you will need is to clean them with windex when school starts and they will be ready.

But, mostly it is just tons of fun! My fourth graders had a blast!

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 29, 2009

Oh, I want to do that too! Will it get sharpie out?

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

May 29, 2009

It's great, the cheaper the shaving cream the better it works!

7. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

May 29, 2009

We just did it today too! It's a fun last day activity. It got all the glue, marker, crayon, paint, etc. off of all my tables. It worked great! My kids were soooo messy though. We have done it before on a smaller scale and I warned them this time...but we didn't listen! Wait...that's not much of a shock with this group! ;)

8. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

May 29, 2009

How much did you use? I'd like to do this with my 2nd graders, and am wondering how much I'll need to buy. I have 28 students.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 29, 2009

I agree - the cheaper and the plainer the shaving cream, the better. Avoid anything that says soothing or sensitive skin, they have the additives that can leave it greasy. Also, for cleaning up afterward - don't add water it just makes it foamy-er (ok made that word up).

10. tiffharmon2001

tiffharmon2001 Comrade

May 29, 2009

For 28 students, two cans of the cheap stuff should be more than enough I would think. The kind I use is less than $1 a can. My parents are usually more than happy to provide it if I ask.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 29, 2009

...but get four to have more fun.

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

May 29, 2009

ha!ha! Thanks! I think I will!

13. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 29, 2009

The kids do love it. After it dries I have them wipe it down with a damp rag. I guess I don't do enough, I only use about half a can!!!

14. childfont

childfont Rookie

May 30, 2009

Hey,even kids do better remember the letters which they wrote with their own hands on the desk and in the mean while they also enjoy learning . With this technique both the purpose are been satisfied .

15. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

We just did it yesterday, too. We do it at least once a quarter. A little goes a LONG way as long as they don't rub it hard. I put a small squirt (just one or 2 tablespoons) in front of each student. They use just one hand to smear it out, then write with their fingers. Early in the year we practice numbers or letters. But they could also write answers to pretty much any question or problem in it.

Yesterday I used just one can of Barbasol (cheap - get it at the dollar store) for 33 students.

Then I take a damp rag and wipe all the tables. It's wonderful!

I've never noticed the tables being greasy afterwards.

16. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 30, 2009

When I moved into my current classroom, the teacher had done this method for years. You could use a razor and scrape the film off of the desks. It was SO nasty! I have my students magic eraser their desks.

17. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 30, 2009

Ick. I don't rely on shaving cream as my only method of cleaning. I clean the tables periodically before or after school.

Be careful with magic erasers. I love the things and use them a lot, but I saw pictures online once of a child who allegedly got some chemical burns or something like that from one. I have no idea what is in them or how they work (I just know the DO work) so I don't let my students or my child use them.

18. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

May 30, 2009

Yes those Magic Erasers are GREAT but they do have a chemical in them that students shouldn't be using. I always try to use them quickly myself and then wash my hands good afterward.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 31, 2009

I don't like shaving cream. I have tried this method a few different ways and always get the same result-a sticky film over everything that requires the desks to be rewashed. I much prefer Clorox or Lysol wipes. These will get most of the grime off, especially the wipes with scrubbies. For really tough stuff I have the kids get out the orange cleaner spray and paper towels.

20. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 1, 2009

My kids love using the shaving cream. I don't think it "cleans" the desks. I'm glad to hear that it removes residue and can't wait to try it though! I notice a greasy smear on the tables when we finish also. I've always had to rub reallly hard to get if off. It's just TOO much fun not to do!

21. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jun 1, 2009

We use about 1/2 can to clean 4 tables. I get plain Barbasol at the Dollar Tree-not with lanolin, aloe or for sensitive skin. We always use wet paper towels at the end of the cleaning to get any residue and that seems to work fine.

22. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2009

Good point - maybe the people who are getting a residue are using too much? I always use the Barbasol, too, and never have a problem.

23. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Jun 1, 2009

I've tried this before too because I can see all the benefits, but it was a pain to clean up.

I've seen the idea of putting some shaving cream in a plastic baggie and sealing it up before tracing in it.

Not quite as fun, I know, but still...something different than pencil and paper. :p