Clean up time

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Miss Steele, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Sep 13, 2006

I'd like to hear from other teachers their clean up time rituals and anything they do to prepare for clean up time.

Also, does anyone have the book Transition Time by Dr. Jean? I was just wondering if it would be worth getting.

:tired: It's only the second week and I'm really questioning my decision to return to this job. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

3. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

I don't have the book Transition Time, but I have borrowed it from the library and it has good ideas. I always try to give the kids a warning 5 minutes before and then play our clean up song and they then know to begin cleaning up. I still have to remind some of them, but the room does get cleaned up eventually.

4. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 13, 2006

I also give a 5 min. warning. Then we do the "Give Me Five". We flick the classroom lights and then I say "Freeze and Give Me Five." We all hold up five fingers and say, "1 my eyes are looking, 2 my ears are listening, 3 my mouth is closed, 4 my hands are quiet and 5 my feet are still." By then I should have everyone's attention. Then I say, "It's time to clean up. On your mark, get set, go!" Then I turn on the clean up music. If someone is not helping, I hand them a toy and ask if they can show me where the toy goes because I forgot.

5. cjpjd

cjpjd Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

I also give a five minute warning, then after the 5 minutes are over, I ring a bell. It is amazing to see the response to the bell. I also use the mission impossible theme song, which is just over 1 minute long. They really enjoy cleaning up to the music.

6. bstcus

bstcus Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

Where do you find clean up music??

7. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

A lot of CD's feature a song about cleaning up. If you can't find one, just about any song will do, especially a lively one.

8. kelnance

kelnance New Member

Sep 13, 2006

I tell the students they need to find a stopping point in the activity. Once everyone has begun the closing process, I get the classes attention. I tell the class that I see 2 things that are missed placed in the classroom. I then tell them that whoever finds these two things and places them where they should go, gets a prize. I usually don't actually have "two" things, but hey, they don't know that. Before you know it, the room is clean and someone feels good about being the winner. :)

9. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Sep 14, 2006

I give a 5 minute, 3 minute, and one minute warning. Then I count 5 to 1 and say 'times up' and start singing the clean up song. I usually start playing some really fun game on the carpet or one of their favorite CDs after a few minutes. This usually spurs them on! Sometimes we play "beat the clock." I set a timer and we try to get the class cleaned before the timer goes off! I usually help clean dramatic play and blocks as these two areas take the longest. I emphasize them helping each other a lot. I do have some that like to keep playing, so I take them by the hand and give them specific things to do while we clean up, such as "pick up all the people in the block area." In the beginning of school, I think it is very important to focus on the routines and rules of the class. I talk about keeping our classroom safe for all and cleaning up is one of the most important jobs we have at school.

10. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 14, 2006

I also do a 5 min warning and then when time is up I do the traditional 'clap clap clap clap clap" that all teachers do and say "clean up time!!!!!" and they all get to work cleaning up. If one or more continue to play I give the entire class a verbal warning that if I find anyone else not cleaning they will have to 'change their frog' (changing colors on their behavior chart) and that gets everyone moving. They are done cleaning within 5 mins.

11. Lexi

Lexi Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

I generally sing this song, "Clean up, clean up, everybody clean up and help each other out!"

12. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 14, 2006

"Flight of the Bumble Bee" a classical song ( it's instrumental, no words and fast paced). It's a great clean up song. Also, if you find a song you like and know how or know someone who can burn a CD copy the clean up song several times onto the CD. That way the music doesn't run out before clean up is done.

13. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 15, 2006

Dr Jean

14. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Sep 15, 2006

I just turn off the lights to signal clean-up and set a timer. Never have had any trouble with them cleaning up. They know if the timer goes off they will move their car. I usually never have anyone moving their car. Ever once in a while someone might keep playing.

15. greenapple14

greenapple14 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

MsAnn, I'm just curious. What are the consequences and rewards that you have established in your classroom? My discipline system is similar in that the students move from color to color depending on their behavior.

16. Mr. Mike

Mr. Mike Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

we have a tamborine that we shake and when the kids here it they clean up. if they dont clean up then they dont play outside

17. jenniferjjjj

jenniferjjjj Rookie

Sep 30, 2006

We used to do a clean up song and everyone would "clean" together...however, most kids get sidetracked or bored or just sing loud and stand around. So, then I tried giving direct orders...so and so clean the blocks up, so and so pick up the kitchen...that worked better but now what I do is we have a weekly clean up crew of 4 people (we have 16 3 yr. olds) and they work with my assisstant in cleaning. I try to put 2 "good" cleaners with 2 "learning" how to pick up kids... The others sit down and we do a small activity for 5 minutes...books, puzzles, song. It has worked wonderfully and my goal is that after everyone has gone through their week, we can try to all clean up again at the same time...maybe after they all better understand what picking up really is and where things go.

18. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 30, 2006

We just flick the lights, tell them to clean up and if half the class isn't doing it, we give our reward dollars to the ones who are. That gets them in gear!

19. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Sep 30, 2006

Green: Great
    Yellow: Verbal Warning
    Orange: 5 min time out
    Red: 5 min time out in hall or removed from class
    Brown: Trip to the office with a call to Mom/Dad

They restart fresh every day for now, after Christmas break they refresh each week.

Rewards to the treasure box are given to the children who stay on green or yellow for the entire month. I was going to do each week but they are a great group of kids and I would run out treats quickly otherwise. :) So those who stay on green or yellow for the week get an edible treat. I know parents love that one, but hey I would go broke otherwise! LOL

20. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Oct 1, 2006

I usually give a three, then one then thirty second warning. I also use the lights, and music. I clean with them noting who I see cleaning. I give specific tasks as we clean. But mission impossible music...that is pure genius...consider the idea "borrowed"