Clean up and Leaving is a drag

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MNgirl, Jan 31, 2006.

1. MNgirl

MNgirl Rookie

Jan 31, 2006

Okay getting ready to go for the day is going really bad. They are off task, they fool around, and they are never ready to leave on time. They are supposed to do jobs before they leave too, but some of them are so worried/distracted about what another persons job is that they don't do their job. What do you do? Do I have to deal with the fact that they are slow? Do I have to dress them before they go? We live in AK so they have to dress warm and it is quite a process for many of them. I was thinking about having them get ready in shifts, but I don't know what that would look like.
    Please Help!!:eek:

3. epatterson

epatterson Rookie

Jan 31, 2006

I would have them get ready in shifts. My kindergarteners are really slow too, so I keep half at the carpet and let the other half get ready. While they are getting ready, we sing a song or play a game like Simon Says. The next day, the half that got ready first stays at the carpet and the half that stayed gets ready first. If clean up (as in toys) is a problem, we clean to music. We all clean until the song is done. A good song is "Clean Up is Fun" from the Play to Rest CD (I'm not sure who does it - I think Learning Station). Hope this helps!

4. edukidds

edukidds Rookie

Jan 31, 2006

I, too have issues with the end of day procedures. My kids are VERY NOISY and I have to shout over them to call them up to get their folders and do their behavior logs.

My assistant gave me an idea and I am going to try something new tomorrow ... putting folders on their desks as they clean up and sending them to get their coats in shifts because that's where our problems occur. I need to start monitoring the coat area (a space where I can't see them).

Also, my issue in K is that there are not many things they can do independently, so it's hard to give them "work" to do at the end of the day or something to play with that can be cleaned quickly.

I would love to do a song or a simple activity that would quiet them down ... but the end of day is very challenging for me right now, as well. If I have success, I will post it!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2006

What would happen if you just waited until they quieted down, and put a mark on the board for every 30 seconds (or whatever you decide) it takes them to be quiet? If possible, start getting ready earlier then normal the first time, to allow for your silent treatment. :rolleyes: haha! Then when they finally realize that you are waiting and marking, you can tell them for each tally on the board, that will be a minute taken off of their free choice or recess time(or some privilege). I bet it won't take them long to get ready next time! I have decided to never shout over any of my kids. If they choose to be that rude and disrespectful, they will suffer the consequences!

6. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Jan 31, 2006

Here's a few things we do that might help (or not :D). My assistant packs the students backpacks every day at rest time. She puts in their folders, lunchboxes and any 'goodies' they brought in that day like show and tell stuff, etc. If it's a warm afternoon she also puts their coats in their backpacks (in other words anything she can fit in there!) After rest they go outside and then back in around 2:10. We leave at 2:45 to go to the pick up area. I have my children sit at tables at that time of the day and we do some sort of activity - usually a worksheet that can be colored at the end to give us some relax type time. Then I call my line leader and caboose up to get ready. Then I call up people who are sitting nicely in their seats. I make a big deal out of saying thank you to those following procedures, which in turn makes every one sort of sit up and "pose" to show they are ready.

I hope you ladies have success very soon. I know how stressful it is for us when we leave school on a 'crazy' note!

7. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Jan 31, 2006

I set a timer. They have 10 minutes to pack their bags and sign up for centers for tomorrow. If the time runs out, I get to pick their centers. That was enough to motivate most of them. Also, if time runs out, I "help" the students pack their bags. Most of my kids want to be really independent, so they don't want the help. When my kids are done packing and signing up, they get to sit at their tables and look at books.

8. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Feb 5, 2006

When cleaning up the classroom, my assistant and I look for students who are cleaning exceptionally well. Then we sing this song to motivate the children to continue! (It sometimes helps to sing it about those who are not yet cleaning up, to encourage them to start!) Song: (tto: "Little Jack Horner): Our______, our special ________, is cleaning so nicely! Teacher's so proud, we'll sing it out loud, 'oh what a good girl/boy is she/he!'"

9. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Feb 6, 2006

I have the students clean up about 10 minutes before we leave and start a story on the rug for the kids that cleaned up quickly...

I don't finish the story, so I can have the children do recall the next AM during rug time. The kids that remember from the day before get a "ticket", so they want to clean up quickly so they can earn the ticket the next day.

This works for me!

Kelly
    http://www.mrsmikesell.com

10. Mrsmam

Mrsmam Rookie

Feb 8, 2006

We have our show and tell time at the end of each day. All our clean-up has already been done. A few students each day can share. Our folders are ready to be passed out. I get them ready at lunch or during an afternoon special. As soon as we finish our sharing time I call one person at a time to get their folder. If that person is not quiet when I call their name, I pass over their folder and go to the next person. They catch on quickly. We all get ready at the same time but they can take their gear to another area of the room if they get too distracted.

11. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Feb 10, 2006

Hi!

I forgot to post earlier that I made a deal with the custodians to help clean up the room at the end of the day.

What I did was make a spot on the front dry erase board that says, "Rate Our Room". Then, every night after the custodian cleans the room he "rates" it 1 - 10. If he scores an 8, 9, 10 the class gets that many tokens. If they get 0 - 7, they do not get tokens. Our school does a school wide token program where the classes with the most tokens get to keep this cool trophy for the month.

This has helped a lot with classroom pride, and... they are horrified when they get a 1 - 7 on the "rating".

It has worked for about 6 weeks, I'm sure the majic will wear off soon though.......

Kelly :)

12. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Feb 10, 2006

Oh I like the token idea! I just might have to talk to our cleaning lady about that! Kelly, I always enjoy your posts and your website is amazing. I was telling my assistant about it today. Yep, I'm officially a Mrs. Mikesell groupie :D

13. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Feb 12, 2006

Thank you, but that is embarassing. :)

I just like to help. I work in a HUGE district (Hillsborough County, Florida - 9th largest in the USA) and there are over 700+ Kindergarten teachers, so I started the website to help them stay organized and it just grew and grew and grew... Now's it is it's own beast and I just try to hold the reins!

Kelly :)

14. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Feb 13, 2006

I have a clean-up song (any song will do but I use the songs on Tom Chapin (sp) "Mother Earth") and the kids have to be done cleaning by the time the song is over. It works pretty well. As for noise when packing up and lining up. My kids sit at tables that are assigned a color. So I call a table and say,"Let's see how quiet the blue table can be." and after all four tables have lined up I give a little prize (usually a sticker or something) to the kids at that table.