Clean floors

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by memphisteacher, Jun 28, 2005.

1. memphisteacher

memphisteacher New Member

Jun 28, 2005

I have white floors. The students are always sliding in their chair across the floor and at the end of the day their are numerous scuff marks. I need some suggestions on an economical solution to this problem.

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 28, 2005

How about putting tennis balls on the end of the chairs?

4. linzteach

linzteach Rookie

Jun 28, 2005

My suggestion is also tennis balls. One of the teachers I know had the same problem. She decided to try the tennis balls. She got a local sports store to donate the tennis balls, so there was no cost involved. This solution took care of the scuff marks and also lessened the amount of noise coming from chairs moving on the floor!

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 28, 2005

Tennis balls are great. The noise level in the room goes down so much!

6. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2005

I got my (used) tennis balls from the local high school tennis team.

7. memphisteacher

memphisteacher New Member

Jun 28, 2005

Thanks so much. These are all great suggestions. I will make some phone calls tomorrow.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 28, 2005

I don't have access to used tennis balls, but WalMart has Funballs, (20 colored tennis balls). I bought 2 boxes yesterday and they had dropped the price to $3.96.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 29, 2005

What are those, the plastic balls for the bounce houses?

We use tennis balls and the one downfall, other than them coming off if the cut is too big, is that they get dirty. And, even though I am not usually squeamish, my stomach turns when I look at all the gunk that accumulates on them. I can't even write more about it. Ugh.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jun 29, 2005

scuff marks

to get the scuff marks already made use the product called magic eraser, I think its made by Mr. Clean it works with a lot of things, even crayon I think.

11. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2005

Chair pads on the chair legs.

12. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 29, 2005

I wish I only had to worry about scuff marks on the floor! I just wish the custodians would come and sweep them. Our floors are wood. They are supposed to be stripped, washed and waxed over Christmas vacation and the summer. It hasn't happened in two years. A new head of maint. has been hired and has promised improvements. We'll see come Sept.

13. mrs. dub

mrs. dub Companion

Jun 30, 2005

We don't have a custodian at my school! I clean my white floors. A little degreaser (409 or Awesome products) will get scuff marks out pretty well.

14. School Savvy

School Savvy Rookie

Jul 7, 2005

cleaning tennis balls on chairs

Tennis balls can be cleaned every term by putting them in the washer and dryer. If you do not want to use your own washer bring them to a laundromat and clean them there.It does the trick.

15. talk to me

talk to me Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

Tennis balls……. Gr8 idea, cheap and handy.

16. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

Tennis Balls

The teachers at my school also use tennis balls but they are proving to be a pain. They keep falling off! Every few moments I would have to address an inquiry, "Mrs. O., another ball fell off, what do I do with it?" Sigh! Does anyone have any suggestion on ways to keep these tennis balls on the chair legs? :thanks:

17. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 24, 2005

Try not making the opening for the chair legs that large, and then wrap a piece of masking tape around the top part, this should keep it in place.

What about those little felt-type pads that you can put on the bottom of things you don't want to scratch your wood furniture and I think they make them larger to put on the bottom of your regular furniture so as not to scratch hardwood floors. Home Depot or Lowes might be a place to check those out.

18. Rainey

Rainey Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

Tennis balls

I priced the felt pads. It would cost me a small fortune. I will try the masking tape though. It seems that this should solve the problem. :thanks:

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2005

Tennis balls are a good idea, and perhaps for table legs, put milk bottle caps on the bottoms. That is what our janitor suggests.

20. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2005

My mom has rubber end caps (white) on her kitchen chairs...what sort of community do you teach in? Would the parents donate these if you asked at back to school night? Or, would your local home improvement store donate them if you gave them a huge thank you in your monthly newsletter?

No custodian!!!!!!! Who takes out your trash, cleans your sinks, toilets and bathrooms, cleans up when kids puke all over the floor?? No custodian!!! I'd die! I don't even clean my own house, much less my classroom!

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

Custodains are so over worked. Please give them all the help you possibly can.