Classroom Woes!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Be_the_change, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Be_the_change

Be_the_change Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

Students start on Aug. 27th, and I have yet to set up my room! I'm a first year teacher, so I have spent most of the past week at all day workshops. After patiently waiting for my room to be cleaned and cleared of the former teacher's belongings, I was able to get into my room for a few hours on Friday afternoon. I tore off the paper covering the classroom shelves and discovered a huge mess of materials. I know I need to pull everything off the shelves and clean/organize/figure out what materials I want to keep and use. I have a half day workshop tomorrow morning, and then I am free to work in my room.

Any tips on how to tackle this process as efficiently as possible would be much appreciated!!! :dizzy:

3. London

London Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

I had the same situation last year (and got so overwhelmed that I didn't even finish cleaning/sorting/trashing/organizing until this summer). My advice is take it one shelf at a time. Pull everthing out (from just one shelf/cabinet/area). Sort it, don't be afraid to trash things if you need to. I used a ton of sterelite shoebox containers to sort all of my stuff (I have a science lab, so LOTS of stuff). And play music you enjoy (I play my very loudly to get me energized)!

4. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 25, 2012

Call in some reinforcements... aka some help from friends... all the times you helped the moved is a good treat for them and you. If that fails, take your time throw stuff away so it can feel like your room. If you happen to not get finished its OK. Come in a few weekends a month and before you know it you will be finished.. I wont lie to you though... I went in several weekends for a couple of months before I felt like the room was remaid and was mine.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2012

I would start by clearing off all your tables in your room. Label each table with how you want to organize your room (toys, math manipulatives, reading manipulatives, writing materials, etc). Have a space designated for trash (or lots of trash bags) and a space designated for donate (or boxes to put the materials in).

I would then sort through everything left over and place it into one of your designated spaces. After everything is sorted out, spend some time cleaning everything. As you start to go through what is left over and what you have, you'll start to be able to figure out how many bins and storage materials you will need.

6. Be_the_change

Be_the_change Rookie

Aug 28, 2012

Thanks for all of the advice! I met my assistant on the 20th, and she was able to help me sort through the mess and figure out what to keep. She had worked in that room for a year or two, so she knew all about the materials in the room. She was actually incredibly pleased to see me throw some things away and make the room less cluttered. Now, I'm still working on some little things here and there...like center rotation system, literacy block planning and time management, and just PLANNING in general.

I student taught second grade, so adjusting my instruction to the attention span of kindergartners is quite challenging! Also, being fun and engaging feels slightly contrived at the moment, but I think that's just because I'm getting to know the students and all of the people in the school. I'm looking forward to having a 3 day weekend, so I can get caught up on planning!

Any words of encouragement/reassurance are certainly welcomed and appreciated! I LOVE my new friends, I'm just overwhelmed and incredibly exhausted! I'm ready to go to bed for the night by 6pm! :eek: