Classroom Websites

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Zarathi, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

How many of you use websites for your classrooms? What are the pros and cons of them that you've found? Links? :D

I've found a site for educators that is really easy to use that lets you have a professional looking webpage. Do you guys use services like this or do you do your own with FrontPage or DreamWeaver?

3. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I have a website for my class and have since my first year of teaching.

Pros: Great way to communicate to parents, students and teachers and gives me a creative outlet.

Hmmmmm.....I can't think of a con. I love having a website. I use FrontPage 2003 to create mine.

www.msjensenclass.com

4. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Cute page! I love the theme!! Do you host your page yourself?

5. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Thank you! I pay to have it hosted on Yahoo.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

I use Edublogs (but I don't "blog" on my class website). It is free.

Pros: communicate with students, post assignments and documents, I can create a post and students can begin from there with Internet assignments

Cons: none ... super easy to maintain.

http://readerswriters.edublogs.org

7. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Our school system uses schoolfusion for its webpages. It comes with the ability for all teachers to create a classroom page using templates. It's very easy to use. I wish/want to add more to mine, but I also do the website for the school I am at, so that takes a good amount of time. My goal this year is to use mine more.
    Pros: Communication with parents/students.

the-flamingos.abss.k12.nc.us is the site to my class. All classroom sites are the same basic setup.

8. Ems

Ems Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

I use www.1and1.com to design my sites. It's template based, so you just pick out your template, modify it and then type/upload pictures. The pros are def. 'advertising' your classroom to parents and the principal-you can brag about all the great stuff you do, and it looks like you're just trying to communicate (my husband is in advertising, what can I say?). Cons are that you have to keep it updated, or parents won't keep checking it. If they look even one week and the homework is outdated, they will not think to look again and you've lost them.

www.mrs.uppman.com
    www.realclassroomideas.com

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2008

I love seeing everyone's class websites! i really want to do one, but I need to figure out which one I want to use and I have to remember to keep it updated. Thanks for sharing- you guys have given me some really good ideas! :)

11. Zarathi

Zarathi Rookie

Jul 9, 2008

Now, things are a bit different for me. I was just hired at a local university to teach a class there so now I HAVE to have a website!

I'm interested in creating a site that I can update from school and from home. How easy is this to do with FrontPage? The technology doesn't scare me off, but if templates and webbased applications are easier to do from one place to another, I think that's the way I need to go.

Thanks.

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 9, 2008

I can log on to www.1and1.com from any computer to update. I update at work all day, and then I can access it from home, too. Everything is saved on their server.

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2008

It is always fun to look at other's sites. I host mine through Online Solutions for Educators.

14. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

If you are looking for a simple and free idea for a class website- Scholastic has a great one. I used that last year and it was perfect for my needs. I put a lot of links for students that coincided with what we were learning. The kids also got on this site during free time to access appropriate websites.

15. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

So, how easy is/are they to customize? Especially if you don't know html? I'm kinda picky, being and artsy type of person.

16. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 9, 2008

Great site!!! I'm curious as to what all you have clipped to the front of your desk. I love the idea - I just wanted to see what all you have up there.

17. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

Those are the expandable file folders for the weekly drawing I used to do (before I implemented the classroom economy). Basically the kids would earn a ticket everyday if they didn't get on a step. They could enter their ticket into one of the file folders for a drawing on Mondays. The folders were for the following prizes:

* Treasure Box
    * Pencil Box
    * Lunch with the Teacher
    * Free Homework Pass

I had no wall space to put those anywhere and it just so happened they fit on the front of my desk. :D