classroom website

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tbug, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Aug 16, 2011

Hello All,

I've decided to create a classroom website for the parents of my first grade class. My school is very small and does not have a platform where I can put my site so I'm wondering where I should put it. I've heard of Blogger (free) and TeacherWeb (small yr fee). Right now, I mainly want to post info (text), pictures, links to websites and maybe video from my iphone. Anyone have success with this?
    Thanks!
    Tara

3. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 16, 2011

I have my site hosted at shutterfly. They have a "share site" section. They really seem to have built them with teachers in mind. You can post pictures, video, journal entries, calendar entries, volunteer requests, etc.

4. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

I use Google Sites and like how I can customize it to the way I like. I used to use Classjump, which was also free, but you couldn't modify the predefined format.

5. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 16, 2011

I use webs.com for my small class =) I haven't tried posting videos yet, but the setup and maintenance is very simple to use. There is a limit of 10 pages for a free site, but it works fine for my needs.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 17, 2011

I'm currently using Google Sites. I've also used Scholastic. Seems to me I tried another one also. Google Sites has been my favorite so far, maybe that's because it's what I'm currently using?

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2011

I think it depends on how much time you have. I use blogger and am quite happy with it. I like that the most recent info is on top. When I had a traditional site, I found that the parents were not accessing my new info. Plus, you can't beat free!

8. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Aug 17, 2011

Thanks for all of your responses! I like google sites mainly because I'm very familiar with google and gmail. I also like blogger but concerned that it will look too much like a blog rather than a website for parents.
    @iheartrecess- I love your blog and website! I've been following your work for a while now- your ideas and tips are wonderful!

Thanks for your input everyone! Happy Back to School!

9. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Aug 17, 2011

One more question! If I'm posting pictures of my students, is it best to have the parents sign a waiver form? My school has a general picture/walking field trip waive form that all parents sign but I don't think it will cover me on my site.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2011

I would have a waiver form that is separate specifically stating for the website. We have a general photo form, but also a newsletter/paper form, and a website form for pictures.

11. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 19, 2011

I use webnode. I find it is really user friendly and looks very professional. I wouldn't put pictures up from any children though - that is pretty much a no-no in my district.

Check with your principal first!

Have fun creating! I love making websites :)

12. MsDouglas

MsDouglas Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

wikispaces.com

They have a section dedicated to educational wikispaces. This is really simple to use and there is an option for a discussion area. I just used it this past semester, and you will not believe how easy it is to set up and edit.