Classroom Website On Your Own?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DressageLady, Jun 21, 2014.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

I would like to set up a classroom website for my first grade classroom. I was just hired as a first year teacher nine days ago (but who is counting the days since such a momentous occurrence happened, right?). It is my understanding that my new school does not have a platform for individual classroom sites, but I really want one and can create my own if I so wish. I will be responsible for all content and costs.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to go to set this up? I would like to be able to provide links to homework, etc. As well as pictures and overviews of where we are headed in our work. I love writing classroom newsletters and would post each week's letter as well as sending a paper copy home.

Any favorite sites that are easy to use on my end, provide the services I want and also easy for parents to navigate?
    Sheilah

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 21, 2014

I really like Weebly. I've been using them for years and have not had any problems. It's free unless you are like me and upload lots of pics and videos-then you can opt for their very reasonably priced pro-version.

4. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

You could always go the social media route and create a class Facebook!

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 21, 2014

I just decided to create a website for my class. I used google sites. It wasn't to hard set up, and it had has some really cute templates.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

I've used Weebly and Blogger for classroom websites. My style fit Blogger better.

7. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 21, 2014

Very cool! Looks like I have some choices. I am going to check these sites out now.

Thanks!!
    Sheilah

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

I would check with your new district before you set up the website. Some of the districts I have worked for have not allowed teachers to set up a website from an unapproved source.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2014

I agree with swansong. My old district ended up blocking Weebly. I had already stopped using it by then, so it wasn't an issue.

10. Briana008

Briana008 Companion

Jun 22, 2014

I LOVE weebly! I had an original site using google sites and couldn't do with it what I wanted. After I'd switched to weebly, my district got its own teacher website platform, which was awful! I ended up keeping (and expanding) my weebly sites and just providing a link on the district site. My weebly wasn't blocked by my district when the students were in the computer lab, but when we got iPads it was blocked on those. My tech department happily allowed it when I told them that my students needed to use it, but I second the recommendation to check with your district and see what is approved.

I have gotten a lot of positive feedback for my websites; students and parents really like being able to see what's going on in class. For me, weebly was the way to go in order to make updating the website a task that was do-able in a busy schedule. So easy! (btw, I only have the free version and it suits my needs just fine)

11. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 22, 2014

I created a blog through Blogger last year. The format was really easy to use, but most of the parents didn't check it. This year I'm going to set up a private class Facebook page.

12. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

I did mine through wordpress. You can customize the template and make it look more like a website than a blog.

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 22, 2014

I use Weebly, as well. I pay for the pro version, but many teachers at my school use the free one.

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2014

What do you do about the parents that don't have access to internet, or is that not a problem?

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

They may not have internet at home, but almost all people have smart phones now. I find this is rarely an issue and I teach in a poor community.

16. Splasher

Splasher Rookie

Jun 22, 2014

I used to use Wikispaces.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

I used Weebly last year and liked it. I'm using Google Sites AND Blogger this coming year, because that's how it's set up at my school - we each have a site and a blog that the kids actually write. Google Sites is pretty easy to use, and I love that you can put a calendar in there linked to your Google account.

Have you seen sites made by other teachers at your school? I don't know if I would want to start one before knowing what everyone else uses. At my current school, everyone uses Google Sites.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

I did that in 5th. It took forever to get it up and running properly. (Due to it taking my students forever to write their entries!)

19. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 22, 2014

I plan on sending a paper copy of the newsletter home every week, so they will be getting at least some of the same information. I have used the paper copy to remind families that the public libraries have PCs available in the past.
    Sheilah

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2014

Believe it or not, the school I'm teaching at next year has student-written blogs starting in Kinder! Of course, at the lower primary level they cowrite with parents.

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2014

Wow! That should be easy for you then!