Classroom Webpages

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteachkids, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Does anyone have a personal classroom website to share or a recommendation of the best website to go through to create my own? If you have one, has it been a successful communication tool for you throughout the year? Is it easy to maintain? I don't mind paying a small yearly fee to set it up. Just trying to get some ideas going. Thanks:) (Jumping the gun a little as I don't have my own classroom right now...but I want to get some more specific ideas before my next interview.)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007

Our school uses Edline. I have an individualized web page for each of my classes. I use it to post grades, extra copies of handouts and worksheets, make important announcements, and communicate with parents and students.

Unfortunately, I realized soon after the first report cards went out that most parents and students weren't checking Edline on any sort of regular basis (or at all, in some cases). If they had been checking it, they would have seen that the kid was carrying a solid F all quarter. Since they had not been checking it, they were shocked, SHOCKED!, to discover the truth.

Furthermore, I use Edline exclusively for absence homework notification. When a student is absent, he or she is supposed to check Edline, where they can see any missing assignments on their grade report and print any handouts that they missed. If they don't take care of this in a timely manner, then it's too bad for them and they get a zero.

I teach in high school, so I expect my students to maintain a certain degree of accountability when it comes to their grades. If I post grades online every week (and I do), then there's no excuse for a student not knowing where he or she stands.

I'm a marshmallow about a lot of things, but not about this.

4. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 3, 2007

i have not tried it but I understand that Weekly Reader will host a classroom website for you, I think it is free. I just got a job, and that was going to be one of my questions!!!!

5. Sub2Teach

Sub2Teach Companion

Jul 5, 2007

Has anyone used school notes? A school I interviewed at said they used school notes and I was wondering how it worked and if it was easy to use?

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2007

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 5, 2007

Our school district uses NetStart. They chose to have us all use one service so that the parents would feel comfortable with the layout regardless of the teacher or building.

The program gives you some freedom. You can design a page for links, downloads and forms. You aren't limited on the amount of pages you have.

Mine is bare right now because of summer, but here it is if you want to see it.

http://classroom.kleinisd.net/webs/sfowler1

8. daisy8869

daisy8869 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I have a question to all of you that have websites from your school. Are you able to access your webpages from home over the summer?

I'm a new first year teacher and I can "visit" my website from my school at home but I would love to be able to create the pages now when I have the time instead of during the school year when I know I will be super busy. I've emailed my principal about this but I have not gotten a response (she may be on vacation). Do you think I should email the tech person for our district?

Thank you for any help or ideas!

9. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I would e-mail the tech person. I think it could depend on what program you use to create it. I create mine in Microsoft Front Page, so I actually do all of my creating from home. Then, I publish it to the school's server.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 5, 2007

I would email the tech person, too. We can access our pages from home.

11. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jul 5, 2007

This year will be my first year teaching. I set up a website through www.classconnection.org. It's pretty easy to use and navigate through. I really like it so far. Here is my site: www.classconnection.org/misswagner

If you go to the main site, there are three demo sites as well.

12. teach101

teach101 Companion

Jul 5, 2007

kdw1913, you can see you get what you pay for...your site is one of the nicest I have seen-really. Too bad it isn't free!

13. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

kdw...I LOVE your sight! It looks great. You said it was easy to use, was it easy to set up as well?

14. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Mable, your website is so cute too. How much is it? $10/month is a lot for me right now (classconnection.com)

15. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I started out with homestead which was free and then they started to charge. Then I moved to geocities which was free and still is, but the bandwidth was limited and the kids couldn't get in all the time, so I went with their $6 a month. Then I moved up to the $12 a month plan. I get scads of space with that. I'm not even using 20%. I've got lots of hidden stuff. I've got personal pages. My Business pages. Backups of my school pages. Pages I'm making for clients. The $12 is pricey, but there are other plans for yahoo and it is a hobby/side business for me.

Here's their webhosting page if anyone is interested in using them. http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/business_services/

My sites are linked through my name. The web design link is just a main page -- that's a new link and just coming together

16. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 23, 2007

Your site looks awesome! I loved how you explained the Million Words assignment so I copied it. I hope you don't mind! We are also using Glencoe this year and I teach 7th grade.

Here is a link to my classroom blog. Right now it is just a bunch of links, but I thought, teaching math in the same grade, you might find some of these to be helpful. A lot of my students and their parents do not have internet access so it wouldn't be worth it to pay for a service.

17. sculteacher

sculteacher Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I use teacherweb. It is $25 for the year, I think. Very easy to set up and use--just click and type. They have tons of backgrounds, borders, clipart, font, etc. for you to use.
    Parents love that they can access info--homework, grades, class schedule, calendar, etc.
    I am very happy with it.

18. sculteacher

sculteacher Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Forgot to mention that scholastic will do a free one for you.

19. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 23, 2007

I use teacherweb too. It's very easy, and very affordable. It's less than $30 a year.

20. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Here is the link to the teacher that I did my student teaching under. Her website is awesome...which goes right a long with her as a teacher. I learned so much from her and her website. I really wanted the job I interviewed for at this school because it was just such a great experience. Check it out if you want.

http://www.graves.k12.ky.us/schools/wingo/aelliott/index.htm

21. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

BTW I know that she used Microsoft frontpage to do and maintain her site. She had it on her home computer so she updated it a home a lot too.

22. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 23, 2007

Ok Listen
    I am so excited that I was able to make a website in about 20-30 minutes for 2 DOLLARS a month.
    I found it on this forum and contactd the member and look at mine

http://www.classconnection.org/MrsLucente

now I don't have my own classroom yet but I am using this as another way to showcase myself in technology.

I sent this to a school a few days after my second interview and withing a few days later

I truely recomend trying this out.

lori

23. abequette

abequette Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

Your website looks great! Judging by your site you should have no trouble at all finding a job...everything looks great.

24. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

Lori,

I think that you found an awesome way to use that website. It definitely shows that you can adn will use technology in the classroom and shows lots about you. Good luck in finding a position.

25. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

Paperheart,

Thanks for sharing your classroom blog. I really like some of the links. I will definitely be using some of them. How do you like the new Glencoe book? This will be my first year teaching, but I like the format!

26. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jul 24, 2007

HI paperheart,
    I love your blog I was on it for a half hour watching your video's (lol)
    Is that a free service?, I have never done much with blogs, is it easy to use???

27. aya

aya Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

28. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 27, 2007

29. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I made mine with FrontPage and use the districts server to publish it. If your school/district has a web site they have a server you can publish your site on for free all you need to do is make it. Here is mine (its is not complete right now I'm getting ready for next year) http://gischools.org/middleschool/Raupp/index.htm

30. aya

aya Rookie

Aug 7, 2007

You can use Google's Pages for free and a nice looking webpage. www.google.com/educators, look under classroom tools. It is so easy to use, if you can use a word processor you can use google pages.

31. kdw1913

kdw1913 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

I enjoyed your website. I really like the binder project. It really encourages students to keep good, organized notes for class.

32. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 7, 2007

Our district has FrontPage Express for us to use. I, however, use Publisher (Hello! It's free.). I like it a lot better. It's easier to use and manipulate.

33. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Thank you. I had a lot of compliments from parents and other staff last year but it was extra credit, now I am incorporating it into regular credit and going to allow it for use on the final exam.

34. teach101

teach101 Companion

Aug 8, 2007

Miss W ...what do you mean Publisher is Free?

35. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 8, 2007

If you have Publisher on your computer, then using it to make a website is free.