Classroom themes?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by DrivingPigeon, Jul 13, 2008.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 13, 2008

I've been reading through other posts, and I've noticed some people have talked about classroom themes. A traveling theme and a bee theme are two that come to mind.

Is this a common thing? I can honestly say that I've never seen a classroom with an overall theme. It's kind of a cool idea, though.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

It is becoming more common. My entire school does a theme (it goes along with AR). This year it is "Clued into Reading" which means we have all kinds of detective things. It is hard when a whole school does the same thing because everyone ends up with the same borders, bulletin boards, etc...

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2008

I can't really say from experience since I will be a first year teacher this upcoming school year, but themes seem to be more work for the teacher and in the younger grades, the theme can go above the children's heads a bit...they're not that receptive. I think second grade and up is more suitable for a theme. I plan to stick to a color scheme - orange, blue, green, yellow with various patterns like polka dots, swirls, etc....just so that my classroom is visually appealing, but I don't want to have to coordinate everything because I have a theme!

5. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 16, 2008

I've taught PK for years & everyone I know does classroom themes! For instance Bears theme- the calendar may have pics of bears, the helpers could be bears with children's names on them & honey pots with the jobs (or bees), etc.. A class bear (could stay in library or homeliving, or be sent home with children along with a journal) Notes going home may have a bear pic in the corner (helps parents know it's a note from the teacher rather than school wide note... Lots of ways to incorporate a theme into your room!

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 16, 2008

I think that themes are about 50/50. It also varies how much you incorporate your theme. If you are interested in a theme, go for it, if it just isn't your style, I wouldn't worry about it.

7. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I use a theme in my room but I would say that I don't go over board with it. My walls are blue so I am doing an ocean theme. My students coat hooks and mailboxes have ocean animal name tags.

I do not coordinate everything based on the theme. My bulletin boards are covered in material at the beginning of the year. One has my students name in different fonts all over it. Another one has will have ocean animals that I put each students picture on and the other will have students work and stuff. The names and pictures are things my students have always liked.

8. wyzegal

wyzegal Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

I'm also trying to think of a theme for my kindergarten classroom. All of the other K -1 classrooms at my new school have animal themes, including bears, frogs, turtles, penguins, monkeys, fish, bees, ducks, and butterflies. I can't think of a theme that isn't already taken. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

9. LA-4

LA-4 Rookie

Jul 18, 2008

Ladybugs?

How about ladybugs? That could be a cute theme. All the pre-k classes at my school have an animal they are know by. We use it on their names tags for the beginning of school and on the signs that show them where to sit in the gym in the morning. Our little ones often can remember "I'm a fish" easier than their teacher's name at the beginning of school. (Which is necessary when they don't wear their fish labeled name tag back to school! :lol:)

10. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 18, 2008

My classroom theme is "Bears and Bees"... I have a multi-level room and my 2-3 year olds are busy bees and my 4-5 year olds are buddy bears...Their name tags will have their designated b-animal on them. The back-pack nook has a beautiful bear with a lot of bees buzzing around, and I am making some bees to dress up with my weather bear. I have "buster Bear" for reading circle, and my pointer has a bee on the end.
    That is about it. I am debating putting bears and bees on the chairs in my classroom. I still have a little time.:whistle:

11. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

I am wanting to do a Garden theme, but I am stumped on ideas.:dunno: I love the ladybug tent that I saw on the Target website (they have tons in various theme, including space, jungle, schoolbus, ocean, etc). I thought about using one for my reading center.

Anybody have other ideas? I haven't started buying yet, so I could switch themes, but I really love the idea of a Kinder'garden'.

12. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2009

Well my school is doing a sports theme. Every teacher is "encouraged" to do a sport.

I'm not really into any particular sport and I figure football, baseball will be used alot.
    So I started thinking about NASCAR. I'm going to decorate with border, checkered flags, an old tired for reading chair. But that iis about all.

13. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

Target.com also has a racing themed tent.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 28, 2009

Here are a few!

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/145.html

15. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

I like the park bench idea. Thanks

16. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2009

What about a "kid" theme? There are a lot of cute kid bulletin board items and borders out there. They are all multi-cultural which is a plus and you can incorporate your kids' pictures and names. I am sure some clever people can come up with theme and bulletin board titles for you.

17. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2009

I did a Chicka Chicka Boom Boom theme the year I taught K...bright colors, palm trees and letters. I do a theme every year. There are pictures on my site in my signature if you're interested.