Classroom Themes - Do you have one?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RugRats, Jul 9, 2008.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 9, 2008

I've started to notice more and more people decorating their rooms with themes. Has everyone always done this? In the past I've generally picked out colors to use for the year but usually do a different theme for each bulletin board I put up. I never really thought about one theme for the whole class.

Anyway, let me ask you a few questions... :)

How many people out there do a theme when they decorate? Do you keep your theme the same from year to year or change it up? What theme(s) do you like best?

3. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Theme

When I first started teaching I used school bus decorations-then when I changed schools-they had school wide theme about being on track or something or other, so I had a train theme-my 3rd year teaching-I was looking up Chicka Chicka Boom Boom stuff and came across Mrs.FishersKinderthemes and saw her Chicka Chicka Boom Boom tree-I made me a tree and did my boards like the book-since then it has evovled into a monkey/jungle theme I have put so much into it-each year I add something new to my theme-I will do it few more years and will eventually go to a Western/Cowboy theme-I am tempted to purchase some of the items that Target has and save them for when I do decide to change-I already have a bulletin board set that I brought a few years ago on clearance.

It is just something that I like to do to make my room look nice-I love decorating and it is fun:lol:

4. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Jul 9, 2008

Pooh42 that Chicka Chicka Boom Boom theme sounds cute! Do you have any pics?

This will be my first year teaching and i was thinking about a chicka theme or a fish/ocean theme. Cant yet decide.

I would also love to hear and SEE what other people have done as themes. :)

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Jul 9, 2008

I've posted this in another thread, but I'm doing "Horton Hears a Who" as my theme this year. We love the saying, "A person's a person no matter how small". Our grade level has just spent most of the summer enlarging, drawing and painting the characters and some pictures from the book to put up in the room. We'll have a lot of Dr. Seuss sayings as well. As much work as it takes to make these decorations, we are hoping it will last a couple of years.

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

I have an ocean-beachy-tropical theme. It's more for me than my students! I don't really do much with it except base my decor around it. But I don't have a ton of theme-y stuff yet, since I just started last year.

7. ranger1stgrd

ranger1stgrd Companion

Jul 10, 2008

I'm doing an ants/picnic theme this year. Those of you doing the Chicka Boom theme I did see some where I'll try to find it but it was a BB outside the door it had a palm tree and then they took the letter of the student first name and made it big and the others small she hung them around the tree and she said chicka chicka boom look whos in Mrs. ______ room.

8. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 10, 2008

I don't really do a "theme". My room is decorated in primary colors and I have a lot of garden, bug, sun, rainbow decorations. Outside my door I have a big rainbow with some puffy clouds and a sun and do "First Grade is SUNsational!" Their names are written on little suns that I have laminated onto a big piece of construction paper. They stay up all year and I put their work on their papers. Since I already have everything I will do it again this year.

9. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2008

I don't do a theme either. I have 2 colors that I use on bulletin boards etc so that it looks neat and consistent and not overwhelming to the kids. I try to be a minimalist (ooops on the spelling) in the classroom so the kids are not distracted.

10. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 10, 2008

For the past few years, I had a garden theme with giant bugs and flowers! It's very bright! I determined my theme by what items I had plenty of. This year, I was thinking about a backyard theme.

11. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 10, 2008

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

I did not have my digital camera back then:sorry:-I wish I did because the displays were very cute-now I take pictures of my different bulletin boards and my classroom.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 10, 2008

I am starting a theme this year with polka dots. It is an easy theme that isn't to restricting for my taste and allows me to use lots of colors. I have two different polka dotted fabrics that go on my bulletin boards and they will stay up all year long. I also have wall stickers with bright dots and a rug with dots. That is probably as far as I will go this year and it all works with existing brightly colored things in the room.

13. mel-bel

mel-bel Rookie

Jul 11, 2008

I'm going with a bee theme this year, because I too don't want to be restricted. My first year I tried an ocean-beachy theme and got frustrated when it came to incorporating seasonal stuff (fall leaves, candy canes, valentine hearts) with the theme. I think the BEE theme will be just enough for me to coordinate aspects that stay up year-round while complimenting the things I add throughout the year! BTW, I love the polka dot theme, Tasha. Have you seen the things on the Teacher's Clubhouse website? They have super cute polka dot stuff! What a cute idea!

14. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2008

Thank you :) I debated it for a while and almost went with an ocean/fish theme, but it is too popular at my school and it would be just another fish theme. The school has an Americana theme or I would have gone with that.

15. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I have a "patriotic" theme in my classroom. It is not so much a theme as a decor that provides continuity. My BBs all have the same fabric background with different boarders. I found a calendar (for $1) last year that had pictures of US icons so I laminated those and put them up in my room. I have a map with post cards and i time line with events from history that i take from our basal stories and our projects (presidents and when states joined the union). My outside bulletin board where I display student work says "Star Spangled Student Work". I buy a lot of decor when it is on sale after the 4th. I like garlnd and stars. Letters home and awards are on patriotic paper.

I don't really incorporate it much more than that but it makes me feel as though the room has a cohesive look to it.

16. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jul 11, 2008

I am also doing a polka dot theme. It is a very easy theme to do and it is great if you love colorful things. I am really excited about doing it. I can't decide if I want to decorate my door with the polka dot theme....I am kind of leaning towards the chicka chicka boom boom theme for my door to welcome the kids to the room.

17. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 11, 2008

I'm totally stealing the Chicka Boom Boom tree idea! I have the perfect corner for it! Woot woot! Can't wait to go into school and work on it :)!

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 11, 2008

I was thinking of putting something up that said "Spotted Learning" or "Spotted being Good" with a picture of each student in the middle of a dot.

19. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 12, 2008

Chicka Chicka idea

If you use pink border you can just put orange dots (color coding lables) on it and you still have your dot theme and it will look very cute;)