Classroom themes/decorations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jpablot, Jul 20, 2013.

1. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Jul 20, 2013

I'm starting my first year of teaching and it's in a 5th grade classroom. Right now the classroom is as plain as plain can be. I'm looking for a theme to go with that will help me decorate the classroom and won't be to expensive or challenging to find good ideas for ways to decorate. I've though about doing camping/wilderness, ocean/underwater, and a couple other ones. Just trying to see any ideas that you all have. Thanks.

3. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

You'll love Grade 5! It was my first grade I taught... LOVED the social studies curriculum.

I remember being on a budget, too. Some suggestions for theme:
    - U.S. History/Patriotism. - this could include an area of "current events"/newspaper theme.
    - U.S. Presidents/Elections - No, this isn't an election year, but having a theme of Presidents ties into your curriculum.
    - Colonial/Revolution

(I'm assuming you're in the United States, thus why I'm going with this... I believe 5th grade is "U.S. History" throughout the country?)

4. jpablot

jpablot Rookie

Jul 20, 2013

Yes I'm in the US and it is US History. Instead of having an alphabet line across my classroom I ordered a line with presidents.

5. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 20, 2013

Yes, I did that as well. :)

Also, I'm sure if you did a Google search for "free United States classroom resources", you might come up with some nice things that our government offers teachers.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 20, 2013

USA/Americana would be the easiest I think. Red, white, and blue and stars are easy to find and decorate with. You could do a bulletin board of national landmarks and maybe even have a national landmark report be an extra credit assignment.

7. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 20, 2013

5th grade was my first class, too! I did Fifth Grade Rocks!

8. CheleOh

CheleOh Rookie

Jul 20, 2013

I've taught 5th grade for 28 years and have had a Detective theme for the past 5 years. I love it, as do the kids, and it fits really well with the new CCSS focus on "finding evidence" and "supporting opinions".

Chele :)

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2013

Don't forget 5th grade science activities as decor - they do some cool stuff!

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2013

I do love classroom themes (I have a blog page with pics and ideas for about 20 of them). However, as a first year teacher I would suggest avoiding it for the first year. Unless you are very familiar with the climate in the building and feel confident about the choice, it may be in your best interest to simply put together a well organized and stylish classroom Let people get to know you as a teacher and a professional and then have fun with a theme. Best wishes for a wonderful first year.

11. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

I did a Hollywood theme when I taught 5th grade.

12. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Jul 21, 2013

Oh no! I see your point, but I have been so busy planning my games theme!
    I think I will slowly roll it out, maybe start with Homeworkopoly and Boggle and some Scrabble posters and add a little more each month as a get more comfortable. Thanks for posting this, I would hate to be seen as focusing more on "games" than teaching. :whistle: I really am going to scale down my plans and focus on getting to know my students and fellow professionals!

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 22, 2013

I have the line of presidents and I turned it into a timeline. I have my unit names on colored paper stretching over the presidents from that time.

14. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2013

I'm fifth grade and I'm doing red/white/blue. The colors are simple and I was able to find tons of great baskets at the Dollar Tree for the room for cheap! I shopped post 4th of July sales for decor. But it's going to be very simple-mostly just those colors.

15. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 27, 2013

I teach fifth grade. For the last several years I have done a blue/green theme. If you check out the dollar tree you can find a lot of baskets and organizing items in several colors. You can also find borders in cute patterns. There are also some cute ones at target. I think that at this age it isn't about a theme anyway. But a color combo works really well. What I like to do is pick one of those cheap borders and make that the base of my decorations and buy a lot of it. I match all the bulletin boards so they are all cohesive and alternate the background colors so they compliment. Then I use my blue/green baskets to coordinate it. I don't bother with those punch out letters and we don't have a die cutter. So I just print off the bulletin board headers and add some clip art so it matches. A little bit of colored card stock makes them pop.

This year I am taking it up a notch and using black/white patterns (cheap to print) with the blue. You don't necessarily need to do a theme. You can just pick a few colors and run with them.

16. Sm2teach

Sm2teach Companion

Jul 27, 2013

I have done several themes but what I have now is my favorite. I have solid colored bright fabric, with different patterned borders. I have had it for 3 years and I am not tired of it. I also don't have to worry about finding border to match my theme if I have to replace any that is starting to look bad. Any cute patterned border will work.

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Jul 27, 2013

I tend to do similar to what Sm2 does but I also go for the solid border. This way I can add ribbon, scrapbooking cut outs, or simply bling. This way I can customize my bb according to what my vision is.