Classroom theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ericamarie, Jul 15, 2006.

1. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

Okay, I need help coming up with a theme for my classroom. I'm fourth grade self-contained and was leaning towards a music type theme. I thought of music because I love music and wanted a way to express that part of myself to the children. I just don't know how I could make that work. If anyone has any other suggestions on a classroom theme...and a theme that I could make my own decorations would be really great. This is my first year and I need to cut corners any way I can. :)

erica marie

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

This is corny, but what about "Working to a beat" as the title. Then, you could randoming put in "Reading to the beat" or "Writing to the beat." Maybe, instead of using music notes, you could have their writing be the notes. Just an idea. I'm terrible with ideas.
    I'm using an aquatic them, so I have things like "Reeling in Good work" and "Caught reading a good book" using fishing poles, fish, etc.

4. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I'm not great with coming up with catchy phrases, but I do have an idea that I used in my listening center last year. I found some old records (the small ones, I'm not old enough to know the names of all the different sizes!) for really cheap at my local Goodwill store and covered the song titles with construction paper and hung them around my listening center. But you could hang them all over your room.

I'm really into music, dancing, and singing too. I use songs to teach almost everything! We dance out our spelling words every week and the kids absolutely love it! I even let them create new dances. Last year I started out with only doing 3 different dances and by the end of the year we had about 10 different dances to choose from! It's so much fun for them and me. They look so cute doing the dances and they always crack me up!

I almost forgot to mention, I wrote this really cute "Welcome Back" rap for my kids last year if you're interested in the lyrics.

5. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

I have seen a set made by either Carson Dellosa or Trend. It is a large jukebox with records that you could put student names on. I think there was also a sign that said "Number One Hits". You could always make this on your own.

6. ericamarie

ericamarie Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

I would be very interested in those "Welcome Back" rap lyrics...and I like the "Working to a Beat" catch phrase corps2005 :) Thanks everyone for your great input!

7. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 15, 2006

Ericamarie, here's the lyrics. Just substitute your grade level in the blanks.

"It's a new year, come on everybody cheer.
    The summer's done but we're still gonna have some fun.
    We'll read and write and do our homework everynight.
    We'll make new friends and hope this school year never ends.
    We are so cool now that we are back in school.
    It's ________ grade WOW, EVERYBODY SING IT NOW!
    Welcome back, welcome back, ________ grade's back
    Welcome back, welcome back, _______ grade's back YAY!
    Welcome back, welcome back, we are back
    Welcome back, welcome back, ________GRADE'S BACK!!!!"

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 16, 2006

How about "In tune with_____."

9. newteacher16

newteacher16 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

I love the idea of dancing out the spelling words! How do you do that? Do you have certain steps for certain letters, or how does it work?

10. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Newteacher16--
    Just about any dance can be used as long as a movement is performed with the pronounciation of each letter. This is kind of hard to explain. For some reason one of my students last year could "moonwalk" really good so he wanted us to do that dance. If you were spelling the word "cat" one foot would go back with the letter "c" the next foot would go back with the letter "a" and switch back to the first foot going back for "t." Or if you've ever heard of the "raise the roof dance" (real popular toward the end of the 90s), students would raise both hands as if they were pushing the roof up with the letter "c", bring hands straight down (but still in raised position) for the letter "a" and raise them up again for the letter "t." One of my favorites is "the robot." It tickles me so much to watch the kiddies do this one because the movements are so distinct.

11. newteacher16

newteacher16 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

SO cute. I love it, and your description makes sense. So I've got raise the roof, and the robot. Any other ones that are easy to explain? Hope you don't mind me asking!

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 16, 2006

There's a company that sells cute songs for content area material plus lessons in English, Math, Science, etc. The product is called Shake and Learn by SALT something or other. I moved from that school that had bought that program so I don't have all the details. Each kit is about sixty dollars or so, but it's on my list for my fall purchases. The writers of the program were at the TCTM convention a few years back.

13. ILuvKaliNJay

ILuvKaliNJay Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Sure, there's lots. Theres that old one from the early 90s called "The cabbage patch" (if you don't know that one, it's simple, just stick arms out straight in front of you and move in sideways circular motions). The "wave", the "snake", "disco"(old John Travolta move), the "hula" (like your hula hooping), "bobble head" (move head like you're a bobblehead), "mexican hat" (hands on hips and alternate kicking feet out), and the "running man".

At first I recommend introducing only 3. Then after a couple of weeks, you could introduce 1 or 2 more until all have been introduced and kids can easily distinguish which dance is which and what they're called.

14. newteacher16

newteacher16 Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Awesome. Thanks so much for the tips!