Classroom theme?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by nyteach89, Aug 10, 2014.

1. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 10, 2014

Do you have a theme for decorating your classroom?

3. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 10, 2014

I haven't even seen my classroom yet!

4. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Aug 10, 2014

My theme is garden/bugs. My pattern is polka dots. We have a sun and cloud hanging in our reading corner. I have a caterpillar tent and a giant leaf from Ikea. I have colorful bugs that are actually garden decorations. students use ants, bee, and sun on our data board. I have a mix of polka dot boarder and 3D pop out green ivy boarder. All of our posters and labels are polka dots boarder with chalkboard background.

Here is an example of my classroom signs and labels. http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums...creenShot2014-08-11at121408AM_zps6ea3a142.png

Here is a picture of the front of my room. It was still not done and I had a blank board lol.
    http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o724/redheadangel2006/0808142052_zps76fc7c04.jpg

5. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 10, 2014

I absolutely love this!! What grade do you teach? I was thinking of doing an owl theme, but I am not 100% sure yet

6. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 10, 2014

Do you know what you're teaching?

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2014

If you aren't sure of a theme, try picking a color theme.

8. Rachel84

Rachel84 New Member

Aug 11, 2014

When I used to teach kindergarten, we used to decorate our classroom on the first two days of every new year. The kids loved doing it. Our favorite part was hanging up board games like snakes and ladders on the walls - they made the perfect wall art; after all, most of them are designed beautifully and are large enough to be meaningful art pieces. Then, we had an entire wall called the 'Focus Wall' where I used to put up the action plan for every day of the week. This was made up of colorful stick-on stickers and hence apart from adding color to the wall, the children could always check what is lined up for the next day and they didn't forget to get their paint boxes and stuff.

And yes, a big hit was the shelf we had for the homework boxes of our students, each with a photograph of the kid in question. The photographs were clicked in school itself on the 'Come dressed for the party' day... It was fun!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

No theme, just bright colours for accents.

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

I bought some adorable "boho birds" from the teacher store and some cute accents from TPT. :)

11. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

This year I'm doing a superhero/polka dot theme. I think my 3rd graders are going to love it. :D Last year I did owls, and I've also done a beach theme. :)

12. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 11, 2014

I'm just doing a color scheme, the Dots on Turquoise line by Creative Teaching. Our teachers switch grade levels almost every year, so I didn't want to invest in a theme that would be too age specific and have to start all over again in a new grade.

13. nyteach89

nyteach89 Companion

Aug 11, 2014

I love the dots on turquoise line. I have been collecting turquoise colored items over the last few months because it is my favorite color. I have turquoise paper bins, turquoise stapler, turquoise tape dispenser, turquoise bingers, and turquoise staple remover. I like the idea of using this line in conjunction with some owl decals.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2014

Sports is my theme. Our school's mascot is the Panthers and so I have paw prints up as BB borders. Pictures up around the room are sports related.

15. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 11, 2014

Kindergarten and going with a frog theme this year.

16. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Aug 11, 2014

I don't know how anyone decides on a theme! I went through dozens of ideas and then made up a mixture of my own. I chose two colors (aqua and turquoise) and then made sure most of my stuff matched those colors. I adore the Moose and Friends from Carson Dellosa this year, but I also love their owls, and the boho birds. I have reasoned that they all live outdoors, so it's kind of an outdoors theme!

I really wanted to do Snoopy this year. The Snoopy stuff out right now is adorable. But it didn't go with my colors:(

Someday I will do a sports theme. I love football, and its perfect for back to school.

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 11, 2014

I'm not a themey person. I do color schemes. First year was black with bright rainbow colors, second was blue and green (bright), and this year my walls are a subdued green color so I'm using navy, lighter shades of blue, and yellow.

18. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 11, 2014

Sped, somewhere in k-4. I'll be the co-teacher, so I may not have a ton of say in the theme of the room. :(

19. ExcitedNewbie

ExcitedNewbie Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

I'm waiting to find out what resources I'll have at my disposal and my theme may be a bit ambitious for a first-timer, but I want to do Central Park (an oasis of learning) theme. Buildings of the walls, tree and grass theme in book nook and common areas, maybe a park bench and a homemade street light? I don't know, still thinking...

20. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

I invested in the snoopy theme over 10 years ago. Laminated everything and it still looks new. Lots of compliments each year. Although that's a good thing, it got old for me several years ago. If I could invest again, I'd switch to a color theme. Most of my bookshelves, desk frames, etc have been painted black. So I'd probably go with light blue and black with highlights of one color...orange maybe.