Classroom Theme

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by src1105teach, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Bearkat

Bearkat New Member

Jul 24, 2006

I am a fourth grade teacher and our school theme this year is Mission: Possible. What are some of the things you did for Mission: Possible?

Bearkat

2. Bearkat

Bearkat New Member

Jul 24, 2006

What are some of the ideas you had for Mission: Possible?

3. jillo9

jillo9 Rookie

Jul 24, 2006

Our grade level does different themes throughout the year, but they can be used for the whole year too. Here are some of the themes we have had:
    - "3rd Graders are the Coolest of the Bunch": Monkeys and Bananas
    - "3rd Graders are the Grooviest": Peace Signs, 60's decor
    - "Off to a Winning Start": Sports Theme
    - Picnic Theme- Ants, Food, Baskets, Checkered Table Cloth
    - "Reach for the Stars": went with our Space curriculum
    - "Serving Up Some Spicy Traits"- cooking theme with a writing focus
    - Rock and Roll Theme: Jukeboxes, CDs, Records, Music Notes

4. teacher4

teacher4 New Member

Aug 3, 2006

Frog theme

I also am doing a frog theme this year. I have a reading pond also and was wondering how you decorated it? I am looking for ideas.

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2006

My theme is a combination of road trip, our own class city, and Americana. All I know is... It's beginning to look like CRACKER BARREL in there!!! :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Okay, this explanation isn't doing this theme JUSTICE... you'll have to see photos of it!

The teacher next door is doing Pirates of the Carribbean/treasure chest for her bulletin board, at least.

6. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

We had a teacher who did tons of stuff with Rainforest so if you do that let me know, and I love the cowboy/western theme too.

7. newbie k-1

newbie k-1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I am torn between a water/beach/sea theme:

"Welcome to Mrs. Bangle's Bay"
    "Dive Into Kindergarten"
    "A Whale of a Job"

or a bee theme:

"Bee the Best You Can Bee"
    "Welcome to the Bee Hive"
    "Mrs. Bangle's Busy Bees"

My husband votes for the water theme, he says I can do more with it. What do you all think?

8. sox24

sox24 New Member

Aug 5, 2006

Both of those themes are really easy to do. I decorated a back to school bulletin board with the bee theme this year. I had buzzing bee boarder and the board read "The Buzz is... Kindergarten is the place to Bee!" Kids like insects and ocean animals as well!

9. c_muschany

c_muschany Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Ms. Jasztal, if you read this, can you explain the other teacher's pirate/treasure chest bb. I am doing the same and need guidance.

Thanks a bunch,

cindy

10. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

I have done pirates before and I wanted to let you know this idea. Did you know if you get a piece of linoleum and flip it over you can paint on it? We did this and painted a treasure map. It was really cool- with the little lines leading to big X and a treasure chest on it. I'd send you a pic but we already painted over it! Sorry!

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2006

She took a picture of a treasure chest and projected it onto paper with my projector. She's then making coins, I believe, with the students' names on them. I don't know anything about the title she chose. It seems creative!

Now me, I'm crazy... what was I THINKING when I thought about Jasztalville and American Dreamers Hold Great Expectations?? I think I'm losing my mind, but it's been exciting to implement, too.

12. yclark

yclark Comrade

Aug 6, 2006

Now me, I'm crazy... what was I THINKING when I thought about Jasztalville and American Dreamers Hold Great Expectations?? I think I'm losing my mind, but it's been exciting to implement, too.[/QUOTE]

What are you doing with Jasztalville? My classroom this year is Welcome to Clarkesville with centers set up according to places around a town....library, computers, publishing house, etc. I teach 1st. (I think you teach older kids than I do.??) Curiious to hear your ideas about that since I've read so many of your other ideas.

13. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

puzzle theme

For my 5th gradeers I did a puzzle theme-"We all fit in!" I bought a big blank puzzle from a school supply store and they all got to color a piece about them. Then we put them together on a bulletin board. I had other bulletin boards with titles like "Our best PIECES" and "Don't be PUZZLED about our class" I stuck old puzzle pieces all over the bulletin board too. It was really cute. The kids got to take their puzzle piece home with them at the end of the year.

14. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2006

You know what april, I was thinking of the same activity for the first day of school and let the children decorate the puzzle pieces, put their pictures on it and have a cool heading like: "We All FIt Together" to incorporate teamwork and cooperation. I have a link of the puzzle: http://www.orientaltrading.com/appl...tk=all&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&N=0&x=39&y=13
    Tell me what you think.:confused:

15. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

Yeah, that picture looks exactly like what we did! I cut out puzzle pieces for their desk name tags, too, with a little message from me that said "YOU are an important piece of the puzzle! I also took a "get to know me" sheet that I had (You know, it had questions like what is your favorite color, how many siblings do you have, etc.) and then I drew puzzle lines on it. I gave it to them for homework and told them to fill it out in pen and then color it. Then the next day they cut on the puzzle lines I drew and put the pieces in a ziploc bag and Voila! they had a puzzle all about them. (The stiffer the paper you can get, the better) Then they switched with a person in the class and put together each other's puzzles for fun and to get to know each other.

After that I put all the puzzles in a box and the kids could pick one to put together if they finished early with an assignment and had some free time. I really liked the theme and will probably repeat it in a couple of years. It was really unique and looked different from all the other bulletin boards in the school-the actual puzzle pieces that I glued on my bulletin boards made it stand out!

If I do end up teaching again this year (I just moved and am still looking, waiting to hear back from an interview) I think I am going to go with a movie theme- something like "Now playing-A great year!!" Thinking of a classroom theme is one of my favorite parts of a new year-it's so fun!! :)

16. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

busyteacher- I just was looking back on your post-how about "Garden of readin' " (Rhymes with Garden of Eden?) I just thought of this because my mother has a sign in her garden that says "Garden of Weedin" haha

17. NYSTeacher

NYSTeacher Companion

Aug 8, 2006

This might be a silly question: But do I need a classroom theme that will carry out through the whole year?

I'm doing "Super Star 5th Graders" (or something along that line, haven't thought of a full slogan yet) for my welcome BB which will be up all of September.

Does a theme mean that everything surrounds that idea?

How do classroom themes work exactly?

18. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Aug 9, 2006

My theme is smiley faces...so I have them incorporated throughout the room. Smiley face job chart, smiley face desk nameplates, smiley face door welcome sign with their names all around it on..of course, smiley faces. I have smileys window decals and a smiley face beaded curtain hanging from my windows. In my reading area I have a smiley face rug and smiley face bean bags. I teach at a Christian school and our theme verse is "The joy of the Lord is my strength." Themes are just a way to decorate and have fun with. I am hoping to post some pictures this weekend under the thread classroom pictures. I hope this helps.

19. Lime

Lime Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

I'm a new teacher and am doing my room tiki/surfer for 3rd grade. I have to restrain myself from going overboard cause I want it to transition into thematic units/holidays.

20. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Does anyone have a catchy saying for ocean life?

21. Lime

Lime Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

22. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

For the beginning of the year: Check out our great catch!
    Or something like that...with their names on the fish would be cute.

23. anadinem

anadinem Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

how about some catchy welcome phrases for a bear theme?

24. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 13, 2006

We can "bearly" wait to make new friends!

or

We can "bearly" wait for school to start!

I can't think of anything else...sorry :(

25. Smiley04

Smiley04 New Member

Aug 14, 2006

I am also doing a frog theme, mainly for my reading corner. I'm titling it, "Leap into a Good Book". I'm looking for ideas for decorating it, like what to hang from the ceiling. Any ideas?

26. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

Another bear one would be " Check out the Beary Best Class at ______!!

and we have some frog themes at our school- I will check them out tomorrow. I know she has same cute things.