classroom theme ideas

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Wallacegirl, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Wallacegirl

Wallacegirl Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

I've been offered a 1st grade position and was wondering does anyone have any cute ideas for a classroom theme?

3. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Mar 12, 2008

oh, there are gazillions, from frogs, to butterflies, ladybugs, hollywood/movie themes, books, all about me, bumble bees, apples, animals, dogs, monkeys, colors.... browse the threads here - or you can do a forum search on classroom themes (at the top of the page, on the right). You'll be taken back to threads that are usually started in the summer, but some of the idea become very elaborate!

Good luck, and have fun - first grade is a fantastic age!!

4. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Mar 13, 2008

You can use pretty much ANYTHING as a theme. Only suggestion is to make sure it is something that you can have fun with and that YOU enjoy looking at. :) Have fun!

5. Wallacegirl

Wallacegirl Rookie

Mar 13, 2008

I think I have decided to go with a little bit of everything. Bright colors mainly and polka dots. Thanks

6. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Mar 17, 2008

Another good one is stars- there's tons of classroom materials that have stars and it's good for all year round! good luck!

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Mar 26, 2008

One thing I have noticed is that some of the teachers I have seen have themes that are gender neutral (frogs, fish, etc.), but some have pretty effeminate themes (sunflowers, ladybugs, etc.) and still others are pretty "macho" (Spiderman, race cars, etc.). Personally, I try not to assign "gender" qualities to any of them, but kids here in the south (and probably everywhere) come with an already pretty established idea of what is girly & what is not.

8. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 26, 2008

Dr. Seuss, happy faces, bears, rainforest, beach, etc

9. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Mar 31, 2008

an underwater theme is always fun!

10. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Apr 2, 2008

My advice if you don't want to have to change your classroom decor to often is get a theme but don't go to heavy into it. Our reading series is oceans...all...year...long..... I'm so sick of looking at my fish, seahorses, Hawaiian leis and grass skirts. Next year we get a new series and I'm doing back to school with frogs and then take about half of it down and still have the frog theme but I don't want it to overwhelm me and my kids so that we get sick of looking at frogs.