Classroom Theme: Hollywood (5th Grade)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Calalilys, May 17, 2008.

1. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

May 17, 2008

I have finally decided to attempt a classroom theme next year and I have decided to do Hollywood. I need some help, though.

1. I need to come up with a list of classroom jobs that fit with the theme. I want to call it "Cast List" and then I'll have the jobs listed, with the students name beside it. For example:

Usher (line leader) .................................... Nichole

What are some names that fit with the Hollywood theme and normal classroom jobs?

2. I wanted to call my student-of-the-week bulletin board, "Live from the Red Carpet … an interview with ___________” and then have them answer questions. What type of questions would you ask? I want them to be interesting and more than "What is your favorite ___________________?"

3. My classroom expectations are going to be called, "Quiet on the set!" and my students will earn tickets for good behavior. I'm just not sure what prize should correlate with each amount of tickets? Do you have any ideas? I will be teaching either 4th/5th grade, so the prizes have to be suitable for that age group. I know that I want one to be a No Homework coupon and another to be a pencil, but I'm at a loss with the other ones.

5 Tickets = Extra
    10 Tickets = Producer
    20 Tickets = Director
    30 Tickets = Best Supporting Actor/Actress
    40 Tickets = Best Actor/Actress
    50 Tickets = Academy Award Winner

4. I will also have my Essential Rules that go along with Ron Clark's, "The Essential 55" but I have no idea what to name them to fit into the theme. Any ideas?

5. What can I call my Workshop Way board? This is where my students go if they finish an assignment early and need something else to do. I was trying to think of what actors/actresses do when they have downtime on a movie set, but didn't have much luck. I was thinking, "In my trailer ..." but didn't really like the sound of that.

Thanks for all your help!

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 17, 2008

sounds fun!!

4. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

May 17, 2008

Interview questions could include:
    What/who inspires you?
    What would be your dream role? (They could go with the movie theme and imagine a movie they'd love to be in, or you could go another route, and encourage them to tell about their dream career.)
    What is your favorite memory from before you were famous?

I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for your Workshop Way board. Maybe something like "Commercial Break" or "In the Wings" (more Broadway than Hollywood, though).

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 18, 2008

Jobs
    Look through the credits of a movie! That should give you some ideas. I was shocked once to see just how many people/ jobs are creditted at the end of a flick. There were jobs I'd never even heard of. What the heck is a boom operator? Personally, I'd use some of the names you have for the tickets for job titles. Maybe the screen writer could write down the assignments on the board.

6. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

May 18, 2008

Teacher's Clubhouse has some "Hollywood" themed things you can purchase. It might also give you some additional ideas!

Beth Newingham also did a Hollywood Theme. If you go to her website, click on Teacher Resources and then on themes.

I can't post the links yet, but google them and they are easy to find!

7. GApeach6274

GApeach6274 New Member

Jun 14, 2008

This is a little late but, instead of in my trailer, what about in the green room?

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

I like The Green Room as the title for my Workshop Way board. Thanks!!

9. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jun 15, 2008

Sounds cute! Your errand runner or materials distributor could be the "gopher" or is it "gofer" (they "go for", etc)

I'm considering prizes for my sixth graders this year (here's my list if it will help)

I am totally stealing Jem's plastic egg idea, so everything will either be a coupon or stuff that wil fit in the egg.

Homework pass
    Sit on the couch
    Use a cushion for a day
    Choose an office supply (pencil, eraser, 25 sheets of lined paper, pencil sharpener)
    Choose an art supply (crayons, colored pencils, chalk, 10 sheets of colored paper/construction paper, a printout of a paper model (google canon 3-D papercraft), etc - whatever I can get cheap
    Starbursts (oh, those would go with your theme!) tootsie rolls
    Then I will have just a few coupons that will say eat lunch with a friend in Mrs. Ancientcivteach's room (they will also have a "OR draw again" option - I'm not sold that they really WANT to have lunch with me, but we'll find out :) )

That's just what I have so far

10. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

Thanks for the ideas, ancient! I love the idea of putting everything inside a plastic egg. I wish I'd thought of that when the pastic eggs were out to buy at Easter.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 15, 2008

12. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 15, 2008

I considered doing a Hollywood theme last year, but I decided not to. Since I almost did it, I've aways looked for things to maybe use for it. Teacher stores haven't had too much, but I've seen great things at the Dollar Tree and Party Stores.

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 15, 2008

You can also download Hollywood themed fonts and create your own posters/visuals.

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2008

rws- the "boom operator" is the guy that holds the huge microphone.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 15, 2008

Calalilys - thank you for the inspiration. I was considering doing a class theme this year and I'm a huge movie buff, so I'm stealing some of your ideas.

With the rules - could that be some sort of "Contract Negotiation".

And the Workshop Way Board - "waiting for a casting call".

There was another thread discussing ways to handle calling on all kids or grouping kids - instead of names on popsicle sticks. Someone there suggested using DVD's with the kids names on them-I thought that was a cute idea.

16. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

Ooh! The popcorn trim would go perfectly with my "We're Poppin' Through Math!" board!

17. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 15, 2008

The popcorn stuff is too cute! I was thinking about doing a movie-star theme with my first graders next year and I love that stuff! You could also do anything with stars, and you could always die-cut stars out of any type of paper (including glittery scrapbook paper) for decorations too.

18. smalltowngal

Jun 15, 2008

Calalilys what are the classroom jobs that you want to have? Maybe this will help us come up with titles.

19. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 16, 2008

The ones that I can think of off the top of my head are:

Line leader
    Lights (turn them off/on)
    Door Holder
    Clean whiteboard/transparencies
    Pick up the floor

20. smalltowngal

Jun 16, 2008

Line leader- you had Usher
    Lights- Lighting

I'll continue thinking

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 16, 2008

Could the line leader also hold the door? Seems like it would make sense as the leader should be the first person reaching the door and an usher would do both jobs.

22. 1stgrade09

1stgrade09 Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Calalilys,
    I tried to ask you a question in an older forum but it was closed. Where did you get your wire cube storage for your books at the front of your room? Please let me know. Thanks!

23. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

I'm doing Hollywood, too. These are some great ideas!!! I'm going to do Red Carpet Readers, Wall of Fame, and I'm still thinking about some other things. I love the actor categories that you have to go with your tickets, CalaLilies!!!!

24. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 16, 2009

Kirkland's has a bunch of cute movie/Hollywood type wall decor for pretty good prices. If I had a Hollywood theme I would definitely get some of the stuff they have.

25. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

I love Ron Clark's Essential 55, too! You said you have your Essential Rules. I didn't know if you meant the bulletin board set that you can purchase or your own rules, but what about putting your essential rules on glittery stars? If you have the BB set you could use starry wrapping paper to back your board.

26. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 16, 2009

I bought them at Costco a few years ago.

Teacher Chele: I do have the Essential 55 rules bulletin board set, but since I don't use all of Ron Clark's rules, it really doesn't do me any good. I am thinking of writing the rules on stars and using them to decorate my "Quiet on the Set" bullent board, which is about the classroom expectations (rules, consequences, rewards).

ETA: I am the poster formally known as calalilys :)

27. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

Thanks for letting me know about your name change, Eiffel Tower.
    I did a little research and found out that a gaffer is the person in charge of electrical things, so I'm going to have my gaffer be my lights person.

28. 1stgrade09

1stgrade09 Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Thank you!

29. gowhitesox

gowhitesox New Member

Jul 28, 2009

hollywood theme incentives

I let the kids decide many of the rewards, but I pick how much they are worth. I use a money system instead of coupons or tickets, but all systems will work.

Here are the ones that really motivate them:
    Sit next to a friend for a day.
    A can of pop at lunch.
    Use the teacher's chair for a day.
    Sit at teacher's desk for a day.
    Lead the class in a lesson.
    Computer time.
    Game time/free recess.

30. bobcatkristi

bobcatkristi Rookie

Jul 28, 2009

A Boom Operator is the Mic Guy.

31. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2009

When I student taught our class voted for our theme to be Hollywood. We got a red carpet for our whole-group meeting area. We got some small "palm trees" donated. I think they were really ferns, but the kids loved it! We also had a little chalkboard in that area, and made it look like a slate (you know, with the clapper on it.) We didn't do much with the theme beyond that, and a banner we made that said, "Welcome to Hollywood."