Classroom Theme/Decorations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kcarver, Jul 27, 2005.

1. kcarver

kcarver Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

I was wondering if I wanted to decorate my room as a theme (ie jungle) How would I go about this and down anyone have any good theme ideas?

3. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jul 27, 2005

A teacher friend of mine took green yarn and draped it from corner to corner from the ceiling, attaching it at intervals along the ceiling. Then she took paper leaves and stapled them along the yarn to make it look like vines. Big trees can be made from brown butcher paper for the trunk and then you can use green butcher paper to create more leaves to hang from the ceiling above the tree trunk (3D effect).

Another class I was in had a "Gold Mine" theme. There was actually a water fall created in the hallway with blue cellophane paper and brown butcher paper, etc. The theme was something like "Kindergartner's are Golden Nuggets!" Hope this helps. There are LOTS of themes you can go with to decorate: Camping, castles, goldfish (Nemo), etc.

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 27, 2005

You can make a palm tree out of a carpet roll tube. Cover it with brown paper and make leaves. Lunch sacks work well for coconuts. The students could also make jungle animals to hang around the room. Maybe they could even do a mural. If you have a CD player in your room you could get a tape of animal or rainforest sounds. Good luck, I think it is a fun theme!

5. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2005

You could also buy some animal print boarder and buy some animal print material for curtains etc....sounds like it will look cute :)

6. FlyLittleRosie

FlyLittleRosie Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Have you heard of the Oriental Trading catalog. They have inflatable jungle animals and other related items. They have a website you can check out.

7. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 27, 2005

Anyone have any other not-so-costly theme ideas for classrooms? I'm just curious. Thanks!

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

9. dee

dee Companion

Jul 27, 2005

10. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 27, 2005

i did my room in a jungle theme. I have vines and monkeys hanging from the ceilings and from the curtains. Trees, leopard print pillows and straw mats for my reading corner, jungle print borders, class teams made up of the lions, zebras, monkeys, and elephants. I also did my bathroom in toucans and lions.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

How do all of you get away with stuff hanging from ceilings, etc. We are so limited here because of the fire inspectors. I wish i could do all of that fun stuff, I'm jealous :(

12. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 1, 2005

jungle theme

I love the jungle theme. I made vines from brown butcher paper. Just cut a piece about 8 feet long. Cut it in half(lengthwise) so that you have 2 8ft. pieces. Twist each piece all the way down and it will look like a vine. Make as many of these as you like. (It's easy to do while watching TV) Then just draw and cut big leaves from green butcher paper. Hang them around your room. Our fire inspector just told me not to hang them across any of the water sprinklers!
    In the hall way I used 2 brown boxes(tall and skinny) to make a giant tree. I covered them both together with brown butcher paper- I crumpled it up to make it look old and fuller. I then added some more of the vines and leaves to look like a tree in the jungle. I then hot-glued it to the concrete-block wall. It stayed up all year.
    I found monkeys and I put my students' names on them. My hall caption was-
    "Just hanging out in 1st grade".
    I put monkeys on each of my students lockers.
    My discipline board had a giraffe that said- Don't S-T-R-E-T-C-H the rules!
    (I'm not really sure giraffes are in most jungles- but I like it!!

13. FlyLittleRosie

FlyLittleRosie Rookie

Aug 2, 2005

mmis, that sounds great. send us pictures! I like the Stretch the rules! that's cute!

14. FlyLittleRosie

FlyLittleRosie Rookie

Aug 2, 2005

Kinderkids, I know how you feel. We can only take up 20% of wall space because of fire inspectors. We are using up our doors and window and cabinets and when they say we have too much up, we say but it's not a wall...kinda of sneaky. We aren't aloud to hang stuff from our ceilings either, we hang from cabinet to cabinet, or the desks.

This year, I decided to put posters and cutie stuff everywhere, I don't care what anyone says, kids need an inviting place to be in...and our rooms arekinda of yukkie, so if they won't paint, then I just cover with decorations...I hope it works for a while!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

Yes, we have the 20% rule too! I try to do the same in that the doors and windows shouldn't count (so I go and decorate those until I'm told to take it down). I miss not having things from the ceilings. I will put up temporary projects, but can't keep up for more than a couple of weeks. I would love to have more permanent things like a loft reading corner, etc....but I'd never get away with it. It seems so sterile sometimes. :( I totally agree with you that the kids need an inviting place. I hope it works for you,too..... :)

16. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 2, 2005

Flylittlerosie- I'll look to see if I have pictures. I've changed everything this year because I'm looping to 2nd grade so I wanted the room to look different. I'm doing a Space theme this year. Let me know if you have any ideas for me!

17. dee

dee Companion

Aug 3, 2005

How `bout Blasting Off to a New Year.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

kcarver- I've put two tall bookshelves together in a corner to form a V. I put brown paper on the sides of the shelves and created a tree top with green paper on top. I'm adding vines I got from the Dollar Tree and a little monkey. There's a new Wild About Reading bulletin board set and matching character charts, nameplates, border, and stickers. I have a animal alphabet line with real pictures of wild animals. Good Luck.

19. FlyLittleRosie

FlyLittleRosie Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Space,nice...I just received an e-mail at school about Mars being closest to the earth in about 5,000 years, it is suppose to be seen as big as the moon to the ***** eye. I will let you know the exact date ,I know it's at the end of August.