Classroom temperature?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rox, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 27, 2010

With Los Angeles hitting record temperatures, my classroom was a steamy 85 degrees today (where's the smiley with sweat dripping off it?). The air conditioner had been turned off for the entire school due to budget cuts. Isn't there a law somewhere that dictates temperatures must remain at a certain level? I don't understand how this can be acceptable at all!

I can recall as a child, if it became too hot, school was dismissed early for the day. Anybody know of any state regulations regarding this?

3. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Sep 27, 2010

Oh man.. I feel so thankful to be in a portable unit with self-controlled air.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 27, 2010

I would think there is a law somewhere as I know down here it is illegal for the power company to shut off your power in the middle of summer if you have a child and/or are old. Up north, it's illegal for them to shut it off in the middle of winter if you have a child or are old.

I would try googling some key phrases and words to see if you can find anything.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2010

I would have to say it would be different in different parts of the country. Our school doesn't air conditioner. I can remember being really hot in the fall when "Indian Summer" would set in.

I do know that some schools in Chicago closed in August due to temps. I know around us they close when it's too cold... so it all depends.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2010

I'm not sure about dismissal, but I know everyone is miserable. So sorry...and I hope the temperatures cool down for you all! It's been unseasonably hot here as well.

[​IMG]

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 27, 2010

Check out your State Bureau of Labor. My daughter contacted them when her place of work was too hot, and they responded.

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2010

As usual, we were freezing in my room yesterday. It makes absolutely no sense.

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 28, 2010

10. Catcherman22

Catcherman22 Companion

Sep 28, 2010

It was 108 yesterday at our school in San Diego, and we had a memo sent around from our district that schools would not be closing no matter how hot the temp got. Schools were encouraged to find "cool" activities for students to do. That's near impossible for a high school that has no ac.

It's hard for students to graph systems of inequalities,when, literally, they have sweat dripping onto their papers.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2010

The only AC in my building is in the main office (where they actually wear sweaters because they get cold) and the computer lab.

12. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Sep 28, 2010

I can't imagine how many sick students they have at your school! I know that I am someone that gets sick really easily due to heat. We had a student get sick out on the playground last week when it was near 100 degrees... I imagine that if your school is 108, there must be a lot of kids suffering from heat related illnesses.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2010

We used to be sent home in the afternoon when temperatures in classrooms went above 105. None of our buildings had air conditiong at the time.

They all have air now. Problem is that when it breaks, it's HOTTER than it used to be. There is no way to get air circulating int he room. My room was a humid 85 for a couple of weeks. Now we're havign the opposite problem. It's around 65. I like the 65 degrees, but the kids are cold.

14. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2010

The thermostat in my school maxes out at 95 degrees so I am not sure how hot it was the first week or so of school. We have no AC, and no screens in our windows, so not only is it hot but buggy. We caught 102 (I kid you not, we counted) stink bugs on Friday.

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 28, 2010

Actually they wanted to close and the school district said it was optional- but they didn't close and the old buildings retain heat so that therms. were reading 103 in classrooms.

16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 28, 2010

Call your State Dept of Ed.

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 28, 2010

It was disgusting! I made a whole whiny thread about it a few weeks ago. I'm so glad it's fall now in the midwest. I would take cold ANY day. I'll buy my kids blankets. I can't buy them A/C. :(

I hope it cools off for you soon!