Classroom Temperature Disagreements

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 17, 2009

How many of you share your classroom w/ 1 or more people? Do you constantly disagree about the temperature of the room? What solution/compromise have you come up w/?

This is one of my concerns w/ having to share a rm. I stay on the warm side & can keep the temp pretty cool, but I'm very considerate of others. I once shared a rm w/ 2 people & things seemed to go smoothly back then & I hope everything's that way if I ever have to share a rm again.

3. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

Our thermostats are set by sections of rooms not by single rooms. I think that goes back to when we were an open concept, no walls school. Teachers have very little say in the temp of their rooms. Due to the system of duct work, some rooms stay really cold while others always seem too warm. My last room had no air flow at all and floor to ceiling windows so its temp really depended on the outside temp.

Personally, I prefer the cooler rooms. My new rooms is supposed to be one of the better ones in terms of temp/air flow.

4. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 17, 2009

I shared a classroom with someone who was ALWAYS cold last year.... fortunately, so was I... that heat was cranked! From time to time, I would need to open the window, but usually we were both very happy with the temperature.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

This year I'm in 5 different rooms (in addition to the possibility of gettign a sub anywhere in the building.) We don't have control over the thermostat, so the only control comes from the windows.

It's a big building, and the temperatures vary a bit. And we need to cross a big courtyard to get from one corridor to another.

So I tend to have a sweater or blazer with me.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

We have no control over the heat in our rooms--other than opening a window. My room/office tends to be pretty cool in the winter, so I always layer and keep an extra sweater in my closet.

7. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Oct 17, 2009

I am in a room with two other adults. I have Raynaud's Syndrome so my hands and toes are cold no matter the time of year, but definitely more so now that the cold weather is here. So I throw on layers and do a lot of arms crossed with hands under the armpits because I don't want to sweat out the rest of the class. It is something that I have gotten used to even though it is so uncomfortable because I have to live with it everywhere I go, not just school. No complaints from me when the heat goes on, though, that is for sure! We can control it from right in the classroom.
    The thing with temperature is that you can dress to suit it. After you are in the same place for a while, you get to know if it is a warmer or colder setting, so if your body runs cold, dress warmly. If you run warm, dress for it. I always have an extra layer with me just in case. That way, if something unexpected happens with the temperature, you can be prepared for the change. I see people in t-shirts in my school and there is NO WAY I would be able to do that, but everyone is different!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2009

I forgot to mention that. This year it's a white cardigan-- soft and comfy. Last year I left the black one there.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Oct 17, 2009

I really don't care about stuff like this. I just adjust what I am wearing and move on. I keep a fleece blanket in my closet and a sweater that I can throw on if I get cold.

I don't share a room but I also don't have more control than a 1 degree variance either way.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 17, 2009

Temperature has been a hot topic (pun intended) in our building lately. The 30-year-old HVAC system was replaced two years ago, and it's been a nightmare. My room runs cold - sometimes as cold as 66 according to the thermometer I keep near my desk - and two rooms away it will be 78. We have no control over it, and theoretically all the rooms are set at 74 to save energy. My P is sympathetic and will forward my emails to the district, but then I get emails back telling me the room temperature is 74.1 because that's what the computer at the district says. Very frustrating and distracting!

11. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Oct 17, 2009

I don't share a classroom so this might be a little off topic, but my building's temperature is controlled at our district office several miles away. They are all sitting in a quite comfortably air conditioned place. When we call in about our air they simply respond that it's "reading at 75", so there's nothing they can do. Um... drive your butt over here and feel what its like with 30 twelve year olds right after recess!!!! NOT 75!!!!

12. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Oct 17, 2009

I am always cold, so I like my classroom to be warm. I have a co-worker that I share an office with. He has to come through my classroom to get into the office. He is always hot. When he walks through my classroom to get to the office, he will turn the thermostat down. When we work in the summer, he will crank the AC all the way down. It drives me crazy. This is my classroom and he doesn't even stay in here, he just walks through and takes it upon himself to adjust the environment. Of course, the is also the teacher that helps himself to my videos and worksheets when I am not there, but that is a different post all together.

13. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

The kids complain all the time my room is too cold..I hate to be in a warm room. I cant stand it so I keep it cool all day ..I am running around way to much for it to be hot.

14. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 17, 2009

One of the first things I do entering the classroom is open a window, even in the winter. The rooms can be stuffy and warm. If I have to co-teach, I will just crack the window open. If the teacher or students complain it is cold, then I will close the window.

In most of the rooms, the temperature cannot be controlled by the teacher.

15. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 17, 2009

Oh wow! I get to make a positive comment about my school. I love when that happens. Not only do we have individual thermostats in our room, we can switch back and forth between the heat and the a/c no matter what time of year! This is great in our climate, where it can be like summer in the middle of December, and then a week later, be 20 degrees F!!!

It almost makes up for not being able to open my windows because the trash dumpter is located directly outside/below my windows and the "lovely" smell wafts in....

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 17, 2009

I like a consistent temperature, no matter what. Even if we are not to fiddle with the termostate, I learn how to over ride the system. Just because the thermostate says 74, does not mean the room is 74. I would put a thermometer next to the thermostate and keep track -- sometimes the two would not agree. Some issues I can overlook, but room temerature is not one.

17. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

There are about 25 adults in my building, which is one huge open room, separated into classrooms. We only have one thermostat, and there are often different ideas about what temperature is comfortable. Some often turn it up to 80 degrees or higher in the winter. Then someone else will have to sneak over and turn it down to a more comfortable level. Once a few weeks ago, it seemed freezing in the building, and I checked the thermostat and found that someone had set the AC at 64 degrees. It is really crazy. I try to dress in layers so I can put on or take off as needed.

18. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 17, 2009

My facility manager is a lovely man who is kind enough to raise the temperature in my room a couple of degrees because I am always cold. Even with him raising the temp, I am still in a sweater all day every day, because I'm not warm enough.

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2009

I like a cooler classroom. When anyone complains that my room is "cold," I tell them they must not be working hard enough! :lol: All I do is run around all day! Some just sit on their butts all day and can't figure out why they're cold. Get up and MOOOOOOVE people!!!

20. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Oct 18, 2009

HAHA Gammy :haha: Ill try that!

21. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2009

Cold people can always put on a sweater, but they only let me take off so much!

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 19, 2009

As an aide, I always had to follow what the teachers wanted. The only time I could "fight back" was if the students also were saying the same thing I did. :) Their needs came before our own especially since the teacher and I were polar opposites. The first year I was with two teachers. The senior teacher won. I'm not sure if it was because she was the senior teacher or if it was because both her and I were the same so it was two against one. Who knows. This year I have my own classroom but we don't have temperature controls anymore.

23. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

I am ALWAYS cold! I mean always cold! For my first three years my parapro was hot natured, so we knew that if I was shivering and she was sweating then the kids were just fine! Now this year my parapro is cold natured like me. We have the heat cranked on already!

24. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 20, 2009

Exactly... you can always put more layers on but you can only take so much off before they throw you in jail... LOL.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2009

So very true, but it's a pain & frustrating to be hot & sweaty all the time because someone gets too cold all the time, just as it's a pain to have to stay bundled up w/ sweaters, scarves, etc. in your own room everyday because someone else gets too hot all the time. :)