Classroom Store

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Just_Beginning2, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

I was thinking about incorporating a classroom store and was wondering, where do you get the supplies to stock your store? I saw lots of great deals on Oriental Trading, but couldnt help but think how expensive this might become. Any insight on where/what you buy would be greatly appreciated!

3. teachall

teachall Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

I did this last year. It can be expensive. I would buy from the dollar store and target $1.00 section at the front of the store. I also asked parents for donations of happy meal toys and other cheap items. I however only had 2 main parents that contibuted to the class store. The upside is that the children enjoyed it. It can be very time consuming, so I only paid them and allowed them to shop every 2-3 weeks.

4. Luv2Teach05

Luv2Teach05 Rookie

Feb 16, 2009

I agree with teachall. I usually go the the dollar store and the $1.00 isle at Target! Also, try calling fast food restaurants in your area and see if they have any "toys" that are left over from kids' meals. They might donate instead of throw things away. :) Our Booster Club has done that before and they were very willing to give items away to our school.

5. missalli

missalli Companion

Feb 16, 2009

I second (third?) the dollar store and Target. For things like fun pencils and erasers, I like OT when I can get free shipping. I also shop a lot at For Teacher's Only (google them, they have a site).

6. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Feb 16, 2009

I have ordered a ton from Oriental Trading. A lot of it is fun stuff that the kids really like, but beware because you totally get what you pay for. I have received damaged items. It's kind of the luck of the draw! I do have my store every Friday. I feel like, with elem kids, it's hard for them to wait. If the reward is too far away, it doesn't seem to have the effect you are looking for. Yes, I do spend a lot of money, but to me it is worth it for 2 reasons. 1) I teach at a low-income school and the kids really treasure the stuff. They often buy things for parents or friends and that makes them feel very special. (One idea is to collect and save all your shampoo/lotion samples from hotel visits, as my kids love to buy this for their moms.) 2) I feel like it really does work as a behavior incentive/academic incentive so it is worth the money to make my life easier!

I think, over time, I will figure out how to cut the costs better. A teacher at my school uses the store system, too. She asks kids to bring items themselves. Then, she "pays" them with the classroom money and hugely inflates the items to sell in her store. Ex--kid brings in old toy. Teacher gives child 10 classroom bucks and charges 25 at the store.

Even though I hate to give the kids candy, I do it anyway because they love it the most of anything. I search after Christmas/after Valetine sales and wait until the candy is super cheap and stock up. The kids don't seem to care that they're eating a Santa chocolate in February.

Last tip--you know those lovely gifts you get from your kiddos? I save mine until the next year (new students) and then put it out in the store. I know that's horrible, but, really, what am I going to do with another ornament, cup, stuffed item? Just be sure to wait until you have a new class of kids, as this could really hurt their feelings. Sometimes I wait 2 years to make sure my previous kids would never make the connection.

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Rookie

Feb 17, 2009

We have payday every two weeks and the store one time per month. I use Dollar Tree stuff, parent donations, freebees from all over. I also use a lot of coupons...lunch in the room with me, skip the odd problems on an assignment, computer time, trade seats with another student for two days, etc.

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Feb 17, 2009

I am doing a classroom store, but not for classroom management. We are doing a unit in math on money, and a unit on economics in social studies. Parents donate items for the store. We only do the store for two weeks, three tops.

9. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Feb 18, 2009

I love the shampoo/lotion idea. That is very creative.

10. cheer

cheer Comrade

Feb 22, 2009

We use homework passes, computer time, playstation time, cooking time(aide in room helps) sit with a friend for lunch, sit with a friend for the day, lunch with the teacher(they bring their lunch and stay with you at lunch time and maybe you bring a goody to share) Book marks, play dough time, listening center time, Xtra recess(clear this with class that is outside after you or before you) Teacher helper coupon, line leader for a week, Line ender for a week, special chair time. Things like that. These are not very costly.

11. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Feb 26, 2009

My cheaper items I get at the Dollar Tree and Wal-Mart-- I usually try to buy things that have multiple items in a pack. I got some Halloween Play-Do cheap. Pencils and erasers are always great too!

12. queenie

queenie Groupie

Feb 27, 2009

I do a classroom store and I get items from fast food places, Goodwill, yard sales, Dollar Tree, Oriental Trading, and Target. Plus you can sometimes find things pretty cheap after various holidays to put up and save for next year.

I allow 4 or 5 kids a day to trade in their coins. They know how and just go back and take care of it on their own, one or two at a time at the end of the day. I wrote this on board (my students are numbered):
    Monday: 1-5
    Tuesday: 6-9
    Wednesday: 10-14
    Thursday: 15-18
    Friday: 19-22
    If they are absent or we don't have school on their day, they just miss it til the next week... I use tokens, not money, and use storage containers with cost of prizes marked on each one (1, 5, 10, 15, 20). All the storage containers are stored in a big treasure chest (foot locker) in the back of the room.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 28, 2009

I also do a classroom store type of incentive program. I buy things from Rhode Island Novelty, Smilemakers and Oriental Trading. I also get things from Dollar Tree and Target. I do the coupons too...and I really only buy things once or twice a year...I tell the kids I won't buy more things until we start running out of the stuff we have. One more thing- I've also asked the PTA for money to pay for items, too. :)

14. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 1, 2009

I think the school store is a great idea! I never even considered doing that, but I might try it as a tie in with my money unit! wait, did I already do money?... anyhow, maybe as a spring treat.

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2009

You can easily make something and copy it onto colored paper. I use the "caught being good" coins from oriental trading as their money. :)