classroom spending

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 21, 2011.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

Another post got me thinking..
    how much do you buyfor your classroom
    and what do youbuy?
    I have spent $200.00 on a lot of organizers, a few packs of pens, some paper, and expo markers. I'mstarting to wonder why I don't stop, I justwant my classroom to be organized and comfortable. I stillwant to make those crates intoseats and I need moresupplies. I didset a budget, I'm still under.

3. juliechsa

juliechsa Rookie

Jul 21, 2011

According to my husband, I spend way too much! I'm in year 14 so I don't need to buy a lot of organizational stuff but I am always finding new books for my classroom library and new professional resources that I want to try. You might want to wait until after school starts though to get more things - when the school supplies go on clearance in Sept. you can get some great deals!

4. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

I spent $40 on school supplies this month - but other than getting some more filler paper, that's all I'm buying. It should last me the whole year.

I also spent $100 for decorating, but I'm only a 2nd year teacher and last year was all about buying curriculum and organizational things.

5. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

I guess I should feel lucky, when it comes to overall supplies for the classroom, for the most part I rely on what the school supplies (enough to get by) and then the parents with what they will donate. Beyond that, any purchases I make are for any special items, which I keep to a minimum. I do not count books for the students to read in the amount I spend on my classroom category. In a few years when I am done and out of the classroom those will all come home and be on a shelf for my kids to read.

6. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

So far my biggest budget buster has been books! I'm really into buying books, I'm trying to increase my classroom library dramatically so I can switch books in and out seasonally or related to a theme. Going to thrift stores, yardsales, used book stores I can spend anywhere from $50-100 a month.

Lately I have been into buying glassware for my practical life area in the classroom... Thrift store - max $10-12 bucks. But now I'm helping a fellow teacher stock her classroom who will not have anything in her room!

So I guess at the end of the year I spend way to much as well.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

I get a couple of hundred dollars from the district. The amount I spend has gone down a lot. I spent $200 one year just decorating, but I'm going on my 4th year in my Hawaiian paradise. This will be my 5th year teaching 6th grade math so I spend a lot less on books, games, and activities. Everytime I find something I like I remind myself that I probably already have 2 of that item at school. I will go and buy some notebooks, pencil sharpeners and pencils to sell to students and some crayons, markers and color pencils just because I can't pass up the deals at Walmart. Hopefully this year I will remember that I have 15 unopened packages of each, in addition to the 15 packs that are in perfectly good condition and the class packs of crayons, markers and colored pencils (2 class packs each!).

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

Want me to send you my mailing address? LOL ;)

9. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

I think I will be able to save what I have for years to come. This is my sixth year, but I didn't have half as much as I would want. I have received numerous donations on books. I have books and some how I have collected a lot of professional books. I had never invested this much. My first year, I didn't have anything. I was working two jobs at the time and I went and bought a lot of posters. That totaled up quickly. After that I have purchased a few items, but nothing too drastic. Most of my spending is through vistaprint!

This year, I decided I needed to organize a bit better. I had worked an extra job, which has ended, but I saved my last check. I wanted to splurge on my classroom a little.

My husband sometimes doesn't understand, but he knows it makes me happy to make the kids happy. I firmly believe that the classroom is part of the learning. I can't sit still in a class with bare walls.

I'm glad I'm not the only one though!

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 21, 2011

I spend very little on my classroom. I basically can order whatever I want to in regards to books, supplies, furniture, and even technology. If I do spend my own money I submit it to petty cash.

11. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

WOW! Well that's awesome. We don't have anything like that.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2011

When I turn in my receipts to my tax lady each year, I usually end up having spent between $400-$600. No joke!

13. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

I've been shopping the Target dollar bins and office supply stores the last few days. So far, I've only spent about $50 but there is still much more I'd like to buy.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2011

I am not the best about saving receipts, but I always claim the amount that we can get credit for.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 21, 2011

I literally have a shoebox that I keep all my school receipts in.. I need to start a spreadsheet. I do our taxes, and we itemize, so I claim everything! Last year, I spent too much - almost $1000. This year, I'm curbing my impulses, lol

16. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 21, 2011

YIKES! I should save my receipts. I know it adds up throughout the year, but I never total it. I should try and save my receipts, but I end up losing them or I forget.

17. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 21, 2011

In the beginning of my career, I probably spent $1000 a year. Now going into my tenth year, I think I probably spend about $400-500 a year. I am a person who has to change things up and make my classroom comfortable for me. I could use the supplies provided by the school and old borders in the supply room, but I don't want Halloween or Christmas borders up all year :eek: I have definitely cut down on instructional supplies since I've learned how to make many of the things I need or how to find them on the internet. I do buy a few instructional books each year to keep up on the current strategies.

18. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Jul 21, 2011

I think so far I have spent $150-$200, I still have a lot that I would LIKE to purchase, but I think that I need to settle down a bit. I really wanted to purchase new book bins, but it might have to wait. We received $450 from our PTO and I used every penny. I am moving grade levels thus more spending than usual. I love to buy for my room though, it really has become my hobby, but I need to invest in some clothes and things for myself as well!

19. crunchytxmama

crunchytxmama Companion

Jul 22, 2011

I just totalled my reciepts from this summer, and I've spent right around $200. I also bought a laptop. If I count that in, I've spent closer to $600.

20. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

When I was newer in my career, I spent about $500 a year. Now that I'm in a 1:1 environment and use very little paper, I probably spend less than $40. I still have the urge to buy, though, and I have to make myself stop. It's hard to say no to .25 cent markers at Walmart!

21. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

When it comes to everyday supplies for the kids, anyone ever asked for cash donations from parents to help cover the costs?

22. jillevelyn

jillevelyn Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

I just went and gathered up all of my receipts. Thanks for the reminder! Haha...

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 22, 2011

I would get fired for asking for money from my students' parents. My kids are from extremely low-income urban families. My school has 100% free lunch participation. My kids are lucky to have a clean, untorn uniform. Last year, I bought a jacket and gloves for one child. So to answer your question, no.

24. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 22, 2011

We are not allowed to require students purchase anything. They do have to pay a school fee of $6. I guess we could make a wishlist of things we wanted, but beyond paper and pencil, we don't really expect to get supplies.

25. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jul 22, 2011

i try not to spend too much money on school stuff. really I would say now after 18 years, I could spend 10 each month on new books for the classroom. Maybe one purchase here and there, like a new CD but that is it.

I have three kids of my own, I am more likely to spend the $$ on them or for their classroom.

26. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

It does depends on the type of students you work with. I would not want to work in a setting like that. We put together wish/supply lists every year and most parents go out and purchase more than their students need. I have participated with some teachers in the past where we went out and purchased all the necessary supplies for their students and then just requested a donation to cover the cost of those supplies (took away the burden of the parents having to go out and purchase them, and ensured everyone had what we wanted them to), and most parents paid.
    One year it didn't cover the full cost and another year what we got back from parents more than covered the cost of what we spent due to some donated items we got.

27. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

We are not permitted to ask parents for money or supplies. If we put together a school supply list, we have to be prepared to supply things that the students don't.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2011

I only spend my money on dirt-cheap stuff if I happen to find something, or things that make ME more comfortable.

This year I've spent less than $50. Most of that was for a rug. My floor is slightly uneven, so I sit my podium and stool on a rug to keep them from wobbling.

29. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2011

I don't understand the ideology of not being allowed to ask. Asking doesn't do any harm. When I was in school, my parents always bought the supplies I needed, they felt it was their responsibility (which is what most parents I run into feel).

30. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

I spend way too much. I was always one of those kids that LOVED shopping for school supplies. So I am either in the perfect, or very wrong, career. I am only in my 2nd year and last year I bought a lot of supplies, so not really shopping for that this year. I did do more decorations, and organizations stuff this year. It is my goal to make my room feel homey and organized. It wasn't this pasty year.

31. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

Haha, this is me. I :wub: school supplies! My husband has thought I am insane this year as I rush to penny sales! haha. This is my first year so I have bought organizational stuff, decorations and supplies. I think I have spent $500-600. But hopefully the following years won't be as much :)

32. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 22, 2011

I'm amazingly lucky...my last school and my new school this year are able to supply me with a large budget, which basically allows me to buy anything I need for the classroom for the year.:wub:

33. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 22, 2011

Last year was my first year. As a surprise my husband saved $1000 for me to go crazy. So I got a lot of supplies and some new clothes. This yhear I didn't have that much but have still spent a few hundred.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2011

Honestly, I spend very very little.

I buy a sheet to use as background, and many years I pick up a new pack of border.

When I returned to teaching after 5 years off, I bought a new Creche ($20 or so) for my Christmas decorations.

The past few years I've bought a pair of $20 Disney Store coffee mugs (to go with the Disney gift card the kids chip in for) for our freshman homeroom to give to the 2 Seniors who act as mentors to our homeroom. (The Seniors take a trip to Disney in the spring, so we use the cards as a Christmas gift.)

Each year I buy a new plan/grade book combo, since I don't like the separate ones the school provided.

That's probably just about it. Everything I need is provided for me.

35. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2011

I also purchased clothing my first year. Now I have to do it again because I've lost 40 lbs! Guess where most of my "back to school" money is going?

36. GAteacher87

GAteacher87 Companion

Jul 23, 2011

Oh my gosh! That sounds AMAZING! :) I bet you felt so special and loved when you received that "go crazy" money! You lucky lady :)

37. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 23, 2011

WOW, that was awesome!!! Yay for your husband!!

38. america82099

america82099 Rookie

Jul 23, 2011

:lol:Yes, hubby did good. He surprised me with it at my graduation party. He got me a treasure chest (something I wanted) and filled it with $5 bills. He's a little goofy like that. He said he kept hearing me say, "I'm going to need xxx for my classroom."

39. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2011

what a sweetie (and a keeper!!!) :love:

40. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 23, 2011

The first couple of years I easily spent close to $500. Now I'll probably spend about $200 or so. Most of it on consumables for science and stuff that I want to make the classroom more comfortable for me like a new ottoman. I just got myself a personal laminator so I don't have to worry about lamination running out or needing something quick.

41. Hitchcock fan

Hitchcock fan Companion

Jul 23, 2011

We have a snack store at each grade level. We use the proceeds from that to purchase items not covered in our budgets, or to replace items throughout the school year (Expos, laminating paper, etc.)