Classroom Size???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 7, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

Please let me know what size your classroom is, and how you fit everything in it! I have read Jem & Ms_Jasztal & others' posts about their classroom libraries (complete with furniture!), etc., and I can't for the life of me understand how it all fits in! Even the 1st grade class that I lts-ed last spring only had room for ONE table for centers. There were 22 students, and they each had a desk... I put (most of) them in table groups, and that helped some, but not a lot! Please explain so I can get it through this thick head of mine!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2008

Oy! I have 38 seniors - the biggest students - in a room that's slightly smaller than average for our school!

4. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

I have a large classroom. I teach kindergarten and my school was built in 1956. They believed in extra space back then for classrooms. I could see in my classroom how furniture would fit, but when I visit other schools-there is NO way there is any extra room!

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

My classroom is actually very small. When the school was built they purposefully made the rooms small so we would never have large classes (16 max.) With 16 kids I can have 4 tables, and then all the shelving up against the walls. I purposefully make a lot of space on the floor because it's important to me to have kids working on the floor. Because of this I don't have room for an extra table for art projects or anything, let alone a kidney table for reading groups, a couch or any such thing. I have some pillows on the floors, but no extras!

6. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I have a fairly large classroom. I am able to fit 4 long rectangle tables plus two round tables for reading groups and art projects. If space is limited make the tables multi functional. The table can be for reading groups just keep supplies on shelf close. You can also use it for art projects.

7. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

I don't have room for furniture either. I barely had room to pull the kids up to the carpet if I needed too with 22 students last year. This year, we are going to be back up to 27, so I can't even imagine. Oh, and we are getting two new student computers added to our three. I want to know where they are going to find the room in my small room!

8. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 7, 2008

I wish this were still the case. I've been trying to figure out a layout for my classroom and have no idea how I'm going to fit everything in the way *I* want it to look.

9. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 7, 2008

I will have 26 kids this year. I LOVE bringing the kids together on the carpet, but with that many 3rd graders, I don't know how it will work! Maybe, I'll get the shorter ones....;) My room is of decent size, but none of the storage is movable....so I don't have a whole lot of freedom in terms of classroom set up.

10. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

I was lucky last year. My room was twice the size of all the others so I had plenty of room for setup and extras. This year I'm moving back to a "normal" size room which is somewhat shaped like a triangle. It is larger on one end and smaller on the other. SO on one side of the room you have a good amount of space, and the other side you don't so it can be hard to set up. Coming from a room twice as large, I'm going to have to do a lot of condensing and getting rid of things. Some things I just left in the other room.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

I don't have a lot of room either. My room isn't that small but one wall is made up of lockers for the students so I lose that whole wall. I have 20 desks that I put into groups to have more room.

I am trying to have a reading corner this year but don't know. I won't have room for furniture so I plan on getting carpet samples for them to sit on for quiet reading. And maybe a rug and pillows but that might not work either.

12. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 7, 2008

Some classrooms are physically larger than others. Some classrooms also have smaller enrollments. When I first began teaching, I had 45 kids in my title I migrant reading class. As a chef instructor, last year I only had 6 or 7 students per class.

In addition to the physical dimensions of a classroom, some rooms are simply well designed. They may have closets and shelves. I once taught in an elementary classroom that had 10 bookcases, two closets, two file cabinets, a sink, and lots lot of counter space. The sink area also had three or four cabinets that were above and below the sink.

I have also taught at schools that had no closets, no cabinets, no book cases, no computers, no A/V equipment, and only a single half file cabinet.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

I don't have the books for a classroom library yet. I plan to start buying books as soon as I am hired for a particular grade! In the meantime, I have a rather large loveseat (we used it for many years, and my grandmother had it before me!) that I would love to incorporate into my classroom. Of course, I can't even try to plan yet, which really sucks.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2008

Last year, I had a WONDERFUL room. 1000sf with TONS of built-in storage. I have been moved to a room that is under 700sf, with a cubby area (actually they are just hooks) taking up a good 3-4 feet deep area along the back wall. There is a partition and so that is all dead space. Nothing is built in, either, so I have to take up more space with book shelves and a cabinet. I haven't been able to set it up yet (they painted and I am waiting for the carpets to be done) so I am not sure how I am going to be able to make it all fit.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 7, 2008

Yikes! I'm truly not trying to be smart-aleck, but I've had houses smaller than either of your classrooms! How do I get one like that?

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 7, 2008

I think my room this coming year is pretty large. I'll put a link to pictures-but this is NOT my room yet. Please do not think I would even consider letting my room look like this. It will look drastically different in the fall. Think... organization. Oh, and I'm getting rid of the teacher's desk, so that is where my wingback chairs will go. I only have 15 kids at the moment, which helps. I hope I get one more-16 is such a better number (dodges spitballs from teachers of large classes).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/sets/72157605921424010/

17. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

My new classroom is very small. I don't think the square footage is correct when comparing it to my old room (it is written on our school's map). I haven't arranged it yet, but I had to give up a table. The teacher who had the room couldn't even fit 1 table in there and she had 3rd graders. My table will fit if I have to make it fit....
    She just had some bookshelves, her desk, the 3 computers (all on 1 table), student desks and a small overhead cart(stationary) and you could barely walk through the room. Somehow, I am going to fit my long rectangle table, my desk (which is bigger than hers) and more student desks in there (I have a larger class than she did). It is going to take come creative arranging!!

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

I love looking at Beth Newingham's room - that thing is gigantic! I feel like my room is pretty small and the storage that's built-in isn't too well-planned. I have a weird closet that juts out for coats/backpacks, which ruins some of the space. I think I just need to get creative with my seating!

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

I just spent seven years in a classroom that had about 400sf of usable teaching space.

I had double desks that were of a shape that was somehow incompatible with the geometry of the room.

If I needed my students to move to the floor (a big part of first grade Open Court), then they had to get up and I had to move their desks back.

These rooms were build because some rocket scientist at our district office decided that first graders (since there were only 20 in a class) could get by with little tiny classrooms and saw it as an opportunity to save literally a few thousand dollars on a new elementary school.

I barely have room for a teacher desk let alone a centers table.

To add insult to injury, Open Court requires various things to be displayed on the walls of the room. More than half of my wall space was covered with whiteboard. Moreover, the Sound Spelling cards are huge. They have to be displayed in the front of the classroom. All of them. I joked that the front of the classroom was whererver I happened to be standing. That's because it was.

For seven years, I have not been able to allow anything into my room that I could not either stick on the whiteboard with magnets, attach to the wall with velcro, suspend from the ceiling, or roll around the room on wheels. That includes children.

Oh, this year I'm moving to a room that's nearly twice the size.

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2008

Congrats on the new space, Sarge!

21. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

I had a great room this year (and I get to keep it for next year). I have tons of storage and plenty of room for the kids, centers, and my "little corner of the world". I greatly appreciate it after spending two years in a trailer where there wasn't room to turn around w/o tripping over a kid. To add insult to injury there was 1 cabinet and one bookshelf in the trailer. No room for center activities/my TE's/much of anything. I would say that my room is approximately 500 square feet. It looks to be about 1/2 the size of my first apartment and it was 1000 sq. ft. I am going to be even more organized this year. Thanks to a couple of ideas I got on here and a couple of my own. I am also going to be more strict with the kids about keeping things cleaned up. The kids last year were not the best at keeping their areas clean (even with bribes).

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 8, 2008

What grade do you teach, Melissa?

23. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

Jem,

Your room has lots of potential, and seems to be perfect for all your pocket themes! :) It seems really spacious!

The teacher you're replacing is a big Really Good Stuff fan, b/c I have a lot of the same stuff! :)

24. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Jul 8, 2008

If you're having trouble, try taking everything (and I mean everything) out. Sometimes it helps to have a fresh perspective. It's trouble, but I promise you'll be glad you did.

25. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 9, 2008

Pwhatley,

I teach 3rd now. I forgot that I had changed my avatar. It used to say 3rd. The two years in the trailer were 2nd grade. I really liked 2nd but I also really like 3rd. My team for 3rd is really, really nice.