Classroom Size??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by shoebottom, Jul 9, 2014.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 9, 2014

I am going to be an inclusion teacher this coming school year. I will have 15 students divided into 2 classrooms. I have the option of either sharing a preschool self contained classroom or having my own small class. It is 8 ft wide and about 12 ft long. The self contained class is going to have 4 students full time and some that come from headstart. I do not plan to pull students out very much, I prefer as little as possible. I would never have more than 6-8 in there with me at one time. I do not plan to have a teacher desk; just a kidney table.

My question is which would you pick? I am leaning towards the small space. I need quite space to work on IEPs and I will always feel like I am bothering the other teacher, plus the noise I am afraid will get to me. And with them taking a nap during the day, I am not sure when I would even be able to go in there. The space small is right next the 2 classrooms that I will be working in and the shared space is in a separate building. The principal told me yesterday that next year I will have a regular sized room to myself, not to worry if I wanted the smaller room to myself this year. It does have a huge whiteboard in it, but not a smartboard. Although, she did tell me that I could use the one in the preschool room anytime that my students needed it that I would have space in that room too.

3. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 9, 2014

I would 100% choose the small space. You don't need to worry about cramming 20 students in there, so I would sacrifice space for privacy. :)

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 9, 2014

I too would choose the small space. It will also give you a private room for conferences.

5. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jul 9, 2014

I would go for my own room. That is one thing that I need. My own space. I used my classroom for IEP meetings when needed, parent conferences, quiet down time for myself, planning, paperwork, test administration, etc. None of those things are conducive to room sharing. Preschoolers move around a lot. I think it would be distracting to your students to have them in there.

My first year I taught in two different buildings daily. The first building I had a full room, but it had previously been the office so it had a permanent wall and door dividing it in half. I barely had room to walk around both ends of the teacher's desk without touching the walls.

The second building was slightly wider, with about 3.5 feet from the end of the teacher's desk to the wall.

Now I thankfully have a full size classroom, with the same capacity as the general ed classrooms. (My teacher hoarder self promptly filled it up :lol: )

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 9, 2014

I would go for the small group. When I was an inclusion teacher and needed to test in small group, I would have to find a place (library, cafeteria, other small classrooms) to use. It would be a problem.

7. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 9, 2014

This! You will be thankful for the "home."

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2014

Yes to your own space, for all the reasons you mentioned.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2014

I agree!
    I also think you will have more respect.

10. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 10, 2014

Thanks everyone. I decided on the small space. On the plus side, everything I am getting will brand new. I hope everything works out next year for me to get a regular size room.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 10, 2014

I think you made the right choice! I have to share a room next year and I'm dreading it...I'd gladly take my own "closet" over having to share! Wow, I just realized how much of an only child I sound like, lol!

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 10, 2014

I am absolutely an only child about classroom space. Like temper tantrum at the SPED department meeting about classroom space. :lol: It is my one non-negotiable.

I NEED a classroom....even a small one. We do not have enough classrooms for SPED this year, but thankfully 2 teachers offered to share a room. My room is smaller, but it's still mine, so I don't care! :D

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 11, 2014

Oh good, it's not just me! I'm teaching summer school in my friend's Kindergarten room, and she literally has a closet that is the size of a small classroom- it's twice the size of the SLP's office! I've seriously been debating asking her if I can use it during the year, lol.

14. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 11, 2014

What will be better for the students? Will focused instruction without distractions be better for them or instruction in a room with others.....

I say your own room is best.

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

Our SPED teachers will finally have their own classrooms this school year! They have had to house their desks and file cabinets in our classrooms for the past several years while teaching SPED kids in the hallway. The distractions these students and teachers have dealt with has been awful! Did I mention how happy I am to be getting my classroom 100% to myself again??? I will be so glad to have my space all to myself!