Classroom Setup Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss-m, Jul 29, 2022.

1. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Jul 29, 2022

I got into my new classroom yesterday, and I made it through all the trash/leftover supplies from the previous teacher. Everything but the books is generally organized or at least tidied up.

But now I’m a bit stuck. I have two half days for sure for classroom prep; potentially more time here and there, but I’m not counting on it. Unfortunately my classroom is really dirty and I’m lacking a lot of the types of furniture/organization I’m used to. I have two 3x3 bulletin boards, several bulletin strips on the remaining walls, and one big whiteboard at the front of the room. I have 4 very depressing metal bookshelves that will have to do for now, one beat up black shelf that may work for materials/manipulatives, and a few extra tables that are mostly just taking up space.

I also have the most obnoxious blue cabinets and orange cubbies that are majorly throwing off my ability to plan a color scheme. The blue cabinets will be covered with wood-look contact paper, but that may not be soon enough.

So… I guess I want ideas. What are some low-effort but big-impact things I can put my effort into with my two half days of prep? I don’t know how to make the room inviting with the state it’s in right now, and that makes me really anxious about the first day. I want kids to feel excited when they come in, but the room is just so depressing right now. :(

Here are some pictures of what I’ve done so far:

9A8030F6-4149-4E5E-A89A-80EF3C6CA95A.jpeg 0AE78263-6401-478A-B180-6419274E7B28.jpeg B4008909-28B9-4107-82AD-626CA6CA2685.jpeg F6F77E9E-90B0-4E08-B0AD-31A3E19E2D87.jpeg

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 1, 2022

Well, as someone who doesn't have 1/10 of your cabinet space, I'd say the blue cabinets look fine. The cubbies are cubbies...there will be stuff in them so the color won't be as glaring. It seems like you're giving yourself more work.

4. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Aug 1, 2022

I’m definitely grateful for the space, it’s mostly that the colors are super overwhelming for me. ADHD/suspected autism means I do much better in a more neutral/less intensely colored space.

I can definitely live with it for a bit, but it’s visually loud and distracting for me as an adult, I can’t imagine it’s better for kids.

Anyway, I’m also mostly wondering what the room needs in general that will give me the most bang for my buck in terms of having it feel inviting and ready for kids in 2 weeks.

5. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Aug 2, 2022

It looks like one of your windows doesn't have blinds. Unless that's changing before classes start, I'd get a curtain for that window. Depending on which way your window faces, it looks like that one could cast a bad glare on the whiteboard.

Otherwise, put up a few posters or anchor charts and maybe an isolation space.

6. miss-m

miss-m Groupie

Aug 9, 2022

Update: my wall got painted, which helped significantly with the feeling of overwhelm, so I got a lot done yesterday and today! It’s not totally ready for kids, but it’s ready for parents coming for open house the next few days!

Attached Files: