Classroom Set-Up

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach12, Jul 21, 2009.

1. teach12

teach12 Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I have tables in my room instead of desks. One one hand I like it because it takes up less space, but on the other hand I do not like it because I can only arrange my room about one way that still gives me plenty of floor space. Also, I do not like that the students do not have a space of their own to keep their books and supplies (except their cubbie where they keep their coats and bags). I would like to know how others with tables organize their classrooms.

3. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I have tables. For my student's work folder, handwriting book, math book, and zippered crayon pouch I have seat pockets (or chair cubbies). You can buy them online, but we have a local church that does outreach for our school and one of the ladies made mine from denim material. They have held up for going on 3 years now. For other supplies, I have a small basket on each table for pencils, erasers, and scissors. Everything else is in community bins and passed out on an as needed basis. Their bigger notebooks, like poetry and writing, are stored on a shelf. This system works for me, without cubbies. The chair pockets are a big must in my room though.

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

I have tables. For their math journals, writing folders, etc. they each have a magazine box that they keep those things in. Last year we had little supply caddies for markers, glue, colored pencils & scissors. Each table had one that they would get when we needed it. I had a pencil box and crayon tub on each table. This year, I think they'll each have a smaller pencil box to put in their chair pouch.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2009

I'm using tables as well this year. I have an extra set of mailboxes made of durable plastic that I plan to let them use to store notebooks and desk stuff like markers, crayons, pencils, etc...Each of them has a full length locker right outside our classroom door in the hall so they can keep their things there too.

6. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2009

many of my team members use those plastic drawer sets (there's like a set of 4 drawers). Each table has a drawer set and each students gets a drawer to put his folders and spirals inside. Most use the community caddy to put pencils and whatnot inside.

I am still trying to decide if I want to use personal boxes or community baskets for pencils and crayons.

7. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I bought caddies. They have two long sides. I put this between two people and have them store thier items in the side that is facing them. This also helps to cut down on the students that love to peek at everyone elses work.

8. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 23, 2009

This also helps to cut down on the students that love to peek at everyone elses work.[/QUOTE]

Don't you just love that! :rolleyes:

9. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2009

I wonder how well folders work at tables to shield papers during assessments?

10. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 24, 2009

The heavy duty folders (usually ones with graphics) work okay, but others are too flimsy. Binders are best. Last year I bought a set of 12 cardboard testing shields through reallygoodstuff.com and really liked the way those worked. I put 2 shields at each table and moved kids around to other desks/tables in the room to separate...you learn pretty quick the kids you should separate during tests! lol This year if I have classroom money I plan on buying another set so most of my kids will have their own testing shield. Mine held up really good--I made sure the kids knew to be very careful with them!

11. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2009

In my experience, folders aren't the best option. I would fork out the money to buy shields from Reallygoodstuff.com or Lakeshore or something.

Of course,you must have management lessons on how to treat them! Mine have lasted 2 years and still look/work as good as new.

12. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 25, 2009

I have tables, and I love them. I have them keep their writing folders, journals, handwriting books in their cubbies. This is a picture of what mine looks like:

https://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_family_info/cPath/CAT5_CAT48/pfam_id/PFAM4518

I've always kept their scissors, crayons, pencils, gluesticks, etc. in a basket in the center of their table, but last year I had problems with strep infections all year. Some of my kids had it more than five times, I had it twice, and my oldest son (who hangs out in my classroom before the day starts) had it seven times. One of my students even had to be hospitalized because a strep infection went to his bones! I'm hoping that by keeping these types of things separate, we'll alleviate some of our germ issues.

The tables do kind of limit you on how you can change things up from year to year, but they are so perfect for groupwork.