Classroom set up ideas?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mollydoll, Aug 29, 2014.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2014

Normally, I have my tables numbered and give students seats by alphabet. This year, I'll do random numbers as kids come in since I don't have rosters yet.

Problem is my tables aren't arranged and the chairs are still stacked. I was unable to get assistance so the kids will have to do it. Any idea how best to organize this without it turning into a zoo?

I'm thinking of numbering the tables and then randomly numbering the chairs so kids take a chair and sit at the table, then maybe we arrange the tables the last 5 minutes of class?

I don't want the kids to feel things are not ready or organized!

Any ideas or suggestions? (These are high schoolers)

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 29, 2014

You could make it an ice-breaker. Get kids into groups, and have them work together to create the room based on a map that you give them. They'll need to talk and work together to carry tables and chairs. Provide them little to no help besides the general map (they're high schoolers, they should be able to figure it out). Maybe put tape on the floor for where you want one corner of the table though so that it looks the way you want to.

As long as you're confident about it, they probably won't pick up that you're just doing this because your class isn't set up.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2014

That's a good idea. Our first unit is mapping.

The tape on the floor is out though, for same reason my room isn't set up: hard to do those things when you have mobility issues and need a cane to get around!