Classroom Set of Chapter Books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TampaTeacher, Feb 6, 2010.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 6, 2010

I am interested in getting a classroom set of chapter books, but was wondering if anyone knew of ways to get them cheaply. I got an email from Scholastic about their dollar days, but the books didn't look great - mostly holiday books or Goosebumps.

Usually we all read Island of the Blue Dolphin together, but this year I have a couple of kids who were retained and already read the book last year. While it wouldn't hurt them to hear the story again, so much of the impact of that book is the element of surprise, and I wouldn't want any of the cool details "given away" in advance.

Does anyone have any tips on where to go to buy a bunch of books cheaply? Thanks, everyone!

3. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 6, 2010

Watch the Scholastic book orders. Sometimes they have the classics at a deep discount. You can also use your bonus points to order individual titles or sets of six. Call the company and ask what is available. Just don't use any codes that you have not received directly from them (i.e. not from collegues). Other options might be to purchase from Borders or Barnes & Noble with your teacher discount. Would your school reimburse a purchase like this?

4. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 6, 2010

And check out Jem's sprout site. She sells used items and might have something you want.

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 6, 2010

Thanks, runsw/scissors!

I do have about 40 chapter book sets right now. They are in smaller sets-usually 5 or 6 to a set-but I have multiple sets of a few titles. If you see something you like, try to up the quantity. And if you're looking for something specific, let me know and I can keep my eyes open for it. I'm always getting new stuff!

Click here to see all the sets.

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 6, 2010

If you have any Scholastic Bonus points, check out their bonus catalogue and the on-line specials. There are several 6 pack books for under 400 points.

7. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Feb 7, 2010

I've purchased some class sets from ebay in the past for a reasonable price. If your parents are involved, you could also ask for some donations of the book.