classroom/school temperature

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bobby, Dec 2, 2011.

1. bobby

bobby Rookie

Dec 2, 2011

How hot/cold is your classroom and/or school?

My classroom stays around 64 degrees. My school doesn't get above 67 or so. With it being almost winter and pretty cold outside, it gets pretty miserable! We're not allowed space heaters. The students hate coming into my room b/c it's so cold. We all wear our coats.

I've called it in many times and the maintenance guy came in once and piddled around with the ceiling tiles and "fixed" the heat. However, it's just as cold.

Just curious about your schools....

3. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 2, 2011

I wish! It hasn't been bad this year, at least not since the weather cooled down to the 50s and 60s. But most years we have been sweltering! I can put on a sweater, but I can only take off so much! LOL!

4. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Dec 2, 2011

My room is the perfect temperature during 3rd period. Before 3rd period, it is freezing. After 3rd period, it is stuffy and too hot.

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 2, 2011

My room is freezing in the summer and blazing hot in the winter. It's miserable year round. I've yet to have a day in which I am comfortable all day long.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 2, 2011

My room is hot in the summer and freezing in the winter. The kids whine. I whine. All of the rooms on our side are like that. The teacher next to me keeps blankets in her room for the kids. I let them bring their coats since sometimes I have to put mine on! :eek:

7. kme93

kme93 Companion

Dec 2, 2011

I'm still running the AC in my room! I have my own thermostat and I keep it at 69 degrees. I find that any warmer and it gets way too hot with all the people in the room.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

I have a thermostat I can (secretly) adjust. In the warm months, I use ("illegal") fans.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2011

We are set to around 70 degrees. But it is often colder than that in our classrooms, usually around 68 degrees.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 2, 2011

We just had our entire heating and cooling system replaced this summer so now my room is perfect :) The temp hovers between 70 and 73 which with a room of 35 high schoolers is wonderful.

After years of freezing year round in my room, I am so very thankful for a room with a perfect temp

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2011

I am so thankful to be able to control the temperature in my room. The halls, however, are not heated it seems...freezing!

12. 5throx

5throx Rookie

Dec 2, 2011

That is one of the many reasons why they would have to fire me to get me out of my portable. I get full control over my thermostat. The bad part is having to walk outside to the building about five times per day, but my room isn't too far from the entrance to the school, so I can usually make it without a coat.

13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2011

We have thermostats that we get to control. During the warmer months I keep it around 76, during the colder months I let it get to around 74. Those of course are average numbers, it never stays exact with students coming in and out. End up having to adjust it multiple times a day.

14. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 2, 2011

When the heat turns on my room gets nice and toasty warm. When the fresh air comes in, my room gets nice and chilly. When it's doing neither, it's perfect.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 2, 2011

My room is 68 degrees year round. I never turn on my heat either. They like the thermostat set on 73 degrees. That's on the warm side for me anyway, and by the time I cram 35 middle school kids in there, it's getting close to 80. I sneak the temperature down whenever possible.

16. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 2, 2011

We have no control and it gets chilly in the winter. I use a space heater, with a fan so it blows the warm air to the kids. I'm not really supposed to, but I want the kids comfortable when they are working. Plus, the noise of "swishy" jackets can, would, and will drive me crazy!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

My school is built of cinderblock. It was built in the '60's, when oil was cheap and building materials were expensive.

When we opened as a new school in an old building in 1987, our principal advised us to "learn to appreciate the merits of wool." In other words: the building is chilly. Dress appropriately.

We have a central courtyard that serves as the quickest way to get from one classroom to another. If it's not shut down because of excessive ice, I'm in it several times a day. Rain or snow doesn't stop us; it's a quick minute in the courtyard. But those doors opening every 38 minute to let more kids change classes mean that the building simply will not hold heat.

I tend to wear more pantsuits in the colder months.

18. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2011

Why does it seem like there are so many teachers here that are in old school buildings. And at that, old school buildings that seem to not have been renovated in any recent times. All the schools that I have worked in or remember attending are either newer or have been updated.

19. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Dec 3, 2011

My school has the driest heat which seems to always be on full blast. My classroom has been up to 88 during the WINTER. I have windows open and have even used the a/c in the winter. It's ridiculous. Kids have nose bleeds and chapped lips. My throat at the end of the day is so dry I can barely speak. They really should do something with our heating system, but I doubt that will ever happen.

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

I can only speak for my own part of the country.

Long Island faced a population explosion in the early '60's. LOTS of new schools were built.

Mine is beautifully kept up... we have koi ponds, gogeous landscaping, and all the rest.

But the only way to make it more temperature friendly would be to knock it down and rebuild, and that simply isn't happening.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 3, 2011

My building is a renovated HEB (a grocery store chain), so it's pretty energy efficient. We have little temperature control sensors that keep our rooms at 68 year round--perfect for our area.

22. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2011

How is 68 perfect? I don't even let my house get below 70 in the winter, though I would prefer a little warmer, 70 is just to save some money.

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Dec 3, 2011

I guess with all the bodies it feels warmer!

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 3, 2011

We keep our house at 68 during the winter, I might crank it to 69 or 70 if it is really cold outside!

25. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 3, 2011

We have a range of 5 degrees of control over our AC and heat. I have a south facing room so my temp can fluctuate quickly.

My former school was horrible! Our windows were so bad that we would close our blinds in the winter (in an attempt to keep the heat in) and you could see them blow around because the air was leaking through them so badly!!

26. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 3, 2011

During the warmer months, I keep the temp at 70. At times, the kids get cold, so I encourage them to bring a sweater. When I'm in a classroom with 32 or so teenagers (while wearing a long-sleeve dress shirt, slacks, and necktie), I tend to get pretty warm. I get irritable when it's too warm in my classroom!!!

At home, I keep the temp at 68 in the winter and 76 during the summer.

27. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Dec 3, 2011

District controls our thermostat. We either freeze or sweat. There's no real happy medium but it could be worse. I could live where it snows.

28. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2011

At least you have halls.

29. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Dec 3, 2011

The thermostat is in my room and controls the room next to me too. Luckily my colleague likes the room as cold as I do--we are walkers and pacers while we teach so we get warm fast. Plus middle school tends to the stinky side so we like to keep it cold.

If the kids complain I adjust it up but usually my teamie will sneak over and drop it again. I keep some sweaters and school hoodies for the kids who get chilly.

30. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Dec 3, 2011

Hey now...no need to pick on us snowy states! ;)

31. AndreGreen

AndreGreen Companion

Dec 3, 2011

Our school is an Air Conditioned school. It's fairly comfortable, but it's very cool in the Gym, Tech Lab, Library, and Cafe.

32. bobby

bobby Rookie

Dec 6, 2011

Well I learned a trick today. I put a bag of ice cubes right over the thermostat in my room. The heat actually kicked on! Not very much, mind you, but I'm sure it got up to about 69 today in the room thanks to the ice cubes! I didn't have to wear my winter coat all day.

33. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Dec 6, 2011

I love the temperature at 65. That is what I have my thermostat at home programmed at!

34. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 6, 2011

My room is usually chilly, because I subscribe to the "you can put more on, but you can't take it off" school of thought.

Right now, when it is 10 degrees outside, it is positively frigid. I need to bring my thermometer back to school. My fingers are stiff.

35. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Dec 7, 2011

My classroom was 77-79 degrees Sept. through Early Nov., and it has no windows. I cannot open the doors while teaching because the halls are too loud. Then it was "fixed" and it is now 59-62 degrees. There is no thermostat I can adjust. I had three fans going when it was hot, and now I am considering getting a space heater.

36. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2011

It was 67 in my house when I woke up this morning. Too cold, that is crank on the fire kind of weather right there.

37. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Dec 8, 2011

I am also in a room with no windows. I am looking forward to the bitter cold of January and February. The temp in my room has never been below 78 degrees all year and is often much warmer. My big beef is that there is no air flow coming into my room, which makes the temp feel that much warmer. It is a known issue, but don't know when it will be addressed.

38. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 8, 2011

I keep my room fairly warm - I am always cold. Most of the kids love to come into my room because it is warm. I guess it is around 73 or so. The big issue is our hallways aren't heated, so we have to make sure we keep the door closed. A bigger issue is that the bathrooms aren't heated either. In January and February when we have days at 12 degrees, the bathrooms are pretty chilly.

39. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Dec 9, 2011

My room is good. I think the heated winter air is drier. I think the drier air feels cooler requiring an increase of about 3 to 6 degrees.

40. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 9, 2011

I'm in 2 different rooms 2 days a week. One room is a lot better than the other. For one thing, I don't have to share it w/ anyone, but the other I do. They're both pretty cold overall, which is OK w/ me because I don't get that cold & if I did, I can ctrl the thermostat.

41. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Dec 10, 2011

In the UK the rules are that classrooms should be a minimum of 18 degrees celcius (64F) and can go down to 16C (61F) for a few minutes as long as the room goes back up to 18C quickly. In These rules were designed for workplaces rather than schools where people move about more. In practice a temp of 20 to 22C is ideal (68 to 73F) which is where I keep my classroom in Winter (I am lucky and teach in one of only two rooms in the school that have controllable heating). The rest of the school is controlled by central thermostats which means that some rooms are uncomfortably warm (the teachers have to have the windows open to let out the heat) and others are so cold that the kids have to keep their coats on!

Just curious but does 'piddle' mean the same thing in the US as it does in the UK (In the UK it is a alternative word for peeing)!