classroom rules

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by amersk, Jun 17, 2009.

1. amersk

amersk Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

Does anyone have a good list (not too long) of rules to post in a first grade classroom. What language should be used? What are the big idead first grade needs to remember? What rules do first graders have a hard time following that should be posted? Any help :)

3. PreK3

PreK3 Rookie

Jun 17, 2009

I've always been told tell children "what to do" rather than "what not to do".

4. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 17, 2009

I keep it simple:
    Be Respectful
    Be Responsible
    Do Your Best

We discuss what each means and I define for them respectful and responsible.

We brainstorm a list of to dos and not to dos that fall under each category (sharing crayons is being respectful, but talking while someone else is talking is not respectful). I have yet to come up with something not to do that doesn't fall in those categories.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

I used only three rules this year and it made for the best year ever.

#1 Be safe
    #2 Be honest
    #3 Keep your teachers happy

I had read about it online and it was perfect because #3 covers EVERYTHING!

6. lucylucy

lucylucy Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

be safe
    be respectful
    be ready to learn

those are the three that I used in the past and it's worked well.

7. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Jul 29, 2009

I pretty much have the same rules as everyone here but it's worded a little differently. I tried to make it relatable to the little ones. Mine are: Be a good friend, be a good student and be safe.

On the first day of school, I have the students brainstorm rules that they think are important and most of them usually fall under my categories. I then tell them that I agree with their ideas but that we need an easier way to remember them. That's when I introduce my rules.

On the second day, I distribute strips of paper with behaviors written on them.

Example: I wait for my turn to get a drink of water.

Each child gets one and when it's their turn we read it together and place it under one of my 3 categories. I also include inappropriate behaviors and we have a different section for that. These can be pretty funny like: I yell really loudly when I want my teacher's attention.

The most important thing is that you don't want to bog down your students with a long list of rules to remember. Keep them short and broad enough to cover a whole host of behaviors.