Classroom Rules

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by MrsMcD, Aug 12, 2007.

1. MrsMcD

MrsMcD Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

What are your classroom rules? Or one of your favorites?

I'm trying to come up with a list of rules that I'd like to use with my 6th graders, but feel like I could do better. It seems like I'm only coming up with the everyday rules that they see every year. While I know these are useful, I guess I'm just looking for some new wording. Thanks everyone!! :D

3. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

that's a good question....also i am a first year Kinder teacher....what are the easiest classroom rules for Kindergarten? (as in the way they are worded and how many is too many...etc)

4. norsk348

norsk348 New Member

Aug 12, 2007

Class Rules

I use the "Tribes" list of class rules - go to Tribes.com and read about their wonderful program. These rules cover everything. It is a step-by-step process to achieve specific learning goals. Four agreements are honored:

attentive listening
    appreciation/no put downs
    mutual respect, and
    the right to pass.

5. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I use "Be a Star"

STAR stands for Safety first, There and ready, Accept responsibility, and Respect yourself and others

6. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

Classroom Expectations

The biggest problem I find with the step process is that "one size does not fit all". Also most include a warning. The problem with the warning is that it in effect gives every student permission to act out once in the class.

We are a Love and Logic School and the following is based on that

EXPECTATIONS

1. You may engage in any behavior that does not jeopardize the safety or learning of yourself or others. Unkind words and actions will not be tolerated.

2. Students may remain in the classroom as long as they do not cause a problem for anyone else.

3. I teach only when there are no distractions or other problems.

4. If someone causes a problem, I will do something. What I do will depend on the unique situation.

5. Respect is the key word in creating a positive classroom environment.

R - Respond toward others in an appropriate manner
    E - Excellence is expected!
    S - Serve others.
    P - Pay attention and participate.
    E - Encourage, not discourage, others.
    C - Come to class prepared to learn with all materials, a good attitude, and on time to lay a foundation for learning.
    T - Treat others as you would like to be treated. Take responsibility for your actions.

(I teach at a faith-based school, so I secularized the above. Mine have scripture to back each point)

CONSEQUENCES

1. I will provide consequences that allow you to experience the results of a poor choice, enabling you to make better choices in the future.

2. I will proceed in all situations with your best interest in mind.

3. I will guide you toward personal responsibility and the decision-making skills you will need to function in the real world.

4. Equal is not always fair. Consequences will be designed to fit the problems of individual students, and they may be different even when problems appear to be the same.

5. I will make every effort to ensure that, in each situation, those of you involved understand why you are involved in consequences.

6. If at any time you truly feel I am being unjust, you need only say to me, “I’m not sure that’s fair.” I will arrange a private conference during which you can express to me why you feel my actions were not fair. This may or may not change my decision. I am always open to calm, rational discussion of any matter. This can best be accomplished at a private conference.

7. bigcat

bigcat Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

We have a step program that seems to be working well. The incentive for no cards pulled in a week is they get to eat lunch in the class room. They LOVE eating with the teacher in the classroom. Then when the 3rd card is pulled in the week...it's a 3 day lunch detention....they hate that. If they pull no cards in a 4 week period...they earn lockers and hall privledges. So far..it seems to be working.

8. o84blondie

o84blondie Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

Speaking of classroom rules....I was considering having students help me come up with our classroom rules. Does anyone else do this? If so, do you just write the rules on posterboard and hang it up or do you type up what you have come up with?

9. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

those all seem like great ideas for the older grades (2-6th) any suggestions on ones more geared towards Kinder?

10. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 13, 2007

Not that you are not welcome here, but this is the sixth grade board and that is why they seem to be too old for your kids. You might want to post your question on the Kindergarten Board for answers more appropriate for your level. :)

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

11. Miss E.

Miss E. Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

ahh! so sorry! i am new to AtoZ and am just getting used to it...sorry!! but thanks!:blush:

12. Veteran Teacher

Veteran Teacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I like to use the words "I will ..." to begin each of the rules in the classroom. That way it seems more positive and it helps the students take ownership of each of the rules as well.

13. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

My favorite rule in my classroom is my last rule (I write them myself) and it is Have Fun at School!!! I want them to know that we need the rules for reasons but that I truly do want them to have fun when they are here and although it can't ALWAYS be a "fun" in their minds, it is my job to try to make sure we are having a good time, still laughing.

Another good one I used in summer school once, our SS principal gave it to the whole staff, were three questions:

Is this safe?
    Is this friendly behavior?
    Is this my personal best?

We would just ask the kids the 3 questions and if at any time they said NO then we would change the behavior. I liked it because it was easy to remember and puts the self-reflection back on them. It also makes it easy to say, "When you are here I expect you to be safe, friendly and always doing your personal best."

14. Mishmosh

Mishmosh Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I really like the 3 questions. It's simple and I can see 6th graders actually using them. I wonder if there is a better adjective than 'friendly'. Their defn of friendly is certainly different than mine. "Appropriate" is too sterile and not on their level. I'll have to think about that one.

15. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2007

Actually, "appropriate" is a wonderful word at this level. I have 2 rules which I adapted from Benjamin mahle's Power Teaching and that is Be Prepared and Be Appropriate. I have them define the word appropriate as they understand it, we give class examples and each student writes down their definition. All I have to do during the year is say, "Is that appropriate?" and the behavior stops. It works for me for everything. I prefer that to a million rules.

16. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 21, 2007

I discuss P.A.P.R. with my kids-Procedures, Agreements, Policies, and Rules. Procedures cover things like how to turn in a paper, what to do with notes, etc. Policies are "my way" of doing things-walking in the hall, what to do if you are absent, etc. We talk about the agreements together-I use the 8 Keys of Success from Quantum Learning (integrity, failure leads to success, speak with good purpose, this is it, commitment, ownership, flexibility, balance). Finally, we come up with the rules together, but honestly, by this time, there aren't many rules that the kids can come up with! Psychological or whatever, by minimizing the "rules" and making it an "agreement", I have a lot less behavior problems.

17. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Aug 24, 2007

One rule that works for me is the "20 minute" rule. No bathroom runs 20 minutes before or after a break.

We had an Australian teacher come to our school on an exchange and he brought with him a "Step Up" system that promoted understanding ..... :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: too tired to explain here it is:

1) Problem behavior occurs

..... sorry I literally fell asleep:blush:

18. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

I want to use this! Hope you don't mind!! Thanks:)

19. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

I really like those questions! Hope you don't mind if I use them! :)