Classroom Rules poster?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jazzy*Jai, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Does anyone have and ideas, pictures, or websites to show me how to make my classroom rules poster.
    Last year I brought one and wrote on it with a permanent marker and now it's useless because I'm not using those rules anymore.
    Help please

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2008

Why not get a cute poster with blank lines on it from the teacher store? You could laminate it and use wipe-off marker to write the rules-that way you could change as needed year by year.

4. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

You could make one on Microsoft Publisher (or many other programs). They have an option where you can change 1 page to print as four (two on top and two on bottom) or more pages which you could put together and laminate.

5. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2008

I made mine in Word. I typed out the rule then pasted a picture of the word from clip art underneath the rule. Then I mounted that on construction paper and laminated it.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 14, 2008

That's what I was going to suggest. Jem also has a link on her website that makes posters. I can't remember the name, but Jem's site is realclassroomideas.com.

7. Jazzy*Jai

Jazzy*Jai Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

Ok, Thanks.

8. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Jul 14, 2008

I do something similar to Waterfalllady and MsMaggs. After discussing them as a class, I type them out and mount them on a prebought poster that has been laminated. We discuss three specific ideas: Rights, Responsibilities, and Consequences. We talk about the differences betwen rights (something that cannot be taken away, like in the Constitution) and responsibilities (what you should do). We do the same with consequences. After a few days of discussion a list is finalized. I type them, print them, and mount them.
    Doing it this way serves a couple of purposes:
    1. It builds a sense of community. Students have their voices heard and feel a part of the process. I try to let them know that this is their room too.
    2. It also makes them take ownership of the classroom more.

I have done this the past couple of years and it has worked very well.

I hope this helps.

9. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 14, 2008

You can laminate posters or any type of paper chart and then write on it with perm. marker. I've bought different ones from Holcombs. It will erase with goof off or nail polish remover. That's what I do. :D

10. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

I type out my rules in word and take them to Kinkos. Kinkos will enlarge them to "posterboard" size. You put on fancy borders, black and white clipart, and color it after you have it enlarged.

11. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jul 14, 2008

I have two rules for my class. Two rules makes it easier.
    WORK HARD
    BE RESPECTFUL

We talk about the two rules and how they are umberellas to a ton of other rules. The kids try to come up with rules that don't go with them and they never win :) I love it!!!

12. dbcteacher

dbcteacher Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

I laminate several blank posters, unlined and lined to use throughout the year. I was prepared to use nail polish remover this year, but my wipe-off board cleaner did a great job. If the marker hasn't been on all year, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sometimes works. It didn't work on the marker left on the word wall posters from the beginning of the year though.

13. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

This past year several teachers in my building made rule books instead of having rule posters. We made a list of rules. I took a picture of a student following the rule. Then I typed up the rules that they thought of, but put them in student friendly sentences and then glued the sentence with the appropriate picture. Then when we had a problem, we would go back and read the whole book, to reinforce the rules. I do believe k-2 did this.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008