Classroom Routines

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lovely222, Jul 26, 2011.

1. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

Hi. I would like to know what classroom routines you have put into place; especially for the morning time when they are just coming in. Thanks!

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2011

My kids come in, put their snacks away, put a clip on their names, practice writing their name to sign in and have free play for the first 20 minutes. I then give them warning we are going to clean up in X minutes and when I turn on the music they clean up and come sit in circle for morning meeting.

4. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

The kids come in, hang up belongings in hallway, find their name on the pocket chart just inside the door and turn it over. Their picture is on the other side so they know if they got it right. :) Then we have free play for about 20 min. I then give a 5 min. reminder that it is almost time to clean up, then clean up and come to the rug for circle time.

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 27, 2011

I teach 3's... so they come in, put their lunch kits in the right place, "check in" by adding their namecard to the "look who's here today" display, then get right to work with a table activity. (At the beginning of the year, we often allow free time in centers ~ to help break any seperation anxiety that comes with the first week of school.) We start our day at 8:45, and clean up ~ get geared up for snack by 9:15.

6. pink

pink Rookie

Jul 27, 2011

I am returning to the classroom after working as an itinerant preschool special needs teacher for three years and I think I've decided on my plan (which is basically the same that it was when I was in a classroom before - but I feel rusty!)
    - Come in, hang up items, put take-home folder in basket
    - Find name (name cards laid out - with pictures and first names) and put on word wall under correct letter
    - Read a book

I know a lot of teachers do table work as an entering activity and I was debating whether or not that would be part of my routine. I'm opting for books because then I can guarantee that every child has a chance to explore books on his own everyday. :)

ETA: I teach 3-5 year old students who are typically developing or have special needs.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  7. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

pink ~ I too love for our kids to explore books, but we usually do that in our class when the kids are on potty break. It gives them free time to explore, and it helps the transition to not get too crazy! :) So yay! Glad another teacher feels the same way about self exploration in books is very important!

8. pink

pink Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

:)

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 3, 2011

The past 2 year,s I've done hang up stuff/wash hands/table activity. Sometimes table activity is a manipulative, other times it's drawing or something else (like tearing paper if we need torn paper for an activity later). I've usually used books as an end-of-day activity (get ready to go home, then read until everyone else is ready) or down-time transitioning... hmm, I might have to change it up this year ;)

10. Pre-K Teacher 1

Pre-K Teacher 1 Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

This is how I start the year as well! BOOKS are so important and getting kids reading independently is key Later, after I have established the independent reading routine (we do this several times throughout the day), I start adding a morning table activity. For me, the independent reading routine is always first.

My favorite center/area/topic is books, communication, language.